What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Internet throttling?

Yeah, definitely need to look into how to change the wifi password next. It certainly feels like I'm mining Bitcoins for someone somewhere.

How much RAM do you have in the computer? Can you start Task manager and click on the performance tab to see how much available and free memory you have? Also check how many versions of Antivirus checkers you have running (click on processes tab).

It's got 32gb 2400Mhz RAM. I'm just running Microsoft Security Essentials on Win7. Like I say though, the weird thing is that once the internet on that machine goes slow it goes slow on every other device too. So the problem isn't confined to that PC, but does seem to be triggered by it.

If you power off the problem machine does it then improve on the others?
Sounds like whatever is on that machine is using all your available bandwidth, so you'd be wanting to check for anything that can do that.

Unless you have traffic shaping or QoS configured on that network segment the gateway will be likely working on a best effort algorithm - meaning if you have a torrent client, sync operation. or the unit is compromised as a DDoS zombie or something similar it will use all the bandwidth you have, starving the other devices.
No-one has just dumped 500GB of pictures into a cloud-sync enabled folder for example? Dropbox etc.? That kind of process will just keep going as fast as it can until it's done.

These processes may not use much in the way of machine resources - the dropbox client for example is very lightweight, bitcoin mining would be very high machine utilisation, but low bandwidth - the machine would feel slow, but the network wouldn't
On consumer networking equipment this is more difficult to narrow down quickly than enterprise as the features aren't there to monitor traffic in detail.

A decent way to at least prove this is a likely issue is on a non-problem pc start a command prompt and type
ping -t 8.8.8.8 and wait for the response times to come back and stabilise - likely be 7-25ms
then fire up your problem pc give it a few mins and then go back to the running ping test and see if you're starting to see higher response times or timeouts

Thanks ChrisH, definitely some useful things to test there if it persists. I've installed gigabit powerline adaptor plugs today and disabled the wifi. A quick test shows the internet on the upstairs PC is much much faster now. Download 51Mbps, Upload 9Mbps but a quite slow ping of 35ms. I'll see if the problems persist but fingers crossed thats the end of it.

MalwareBytes has brought up a PUP: DYESUBD1_P3V0.exe and a interestingly...........................a Trojan.Agent: 720201.txt which has come from a USB 3.0 card install file (which I installed around the time this all started).

Oh and I've just found out today that I've had accounts breached on CEX and Unreal Engine. Awesome.

Potentially related.

If I were you I'd zap that PC and reinstall OS and change passwords.

It seems like those two breaches affect millions of people and don't contain any bank details so I'm not too worried. I am definitely worried in general about having this machine connected to the internet though since it contains years of work which could potentially be worth a lot of money. I just need to figure out a way to do software updates safely.

Put a copy of your stuff on a few of the cloud storage places box Dropbox etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How safe is that though? Lets say the data is worth £5m for instance?

It seems like those two breaches affect millions of people and don't contain any bank details so I'm not too worried. I am definitely worried in general about having this machine connected to the internet though since it contains years of work which could potentially be worth a lot of money. I just need to figure out a way to do software updates safely.

Yup - CEX one appeared yesterday... Not sure about unreal!

Will Mb Remove them? it should do...

Back
Top Bottom