What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Internet throttling?

R

RobZombie

Anybody have much of a clue whats going on here? My BT Unlimited internet has been perfectly fine the last two years and now that its up for renewal its become practically unusable a lot of the time. Resulting in me having to run downstairs and restart the router several times an evening....and often that doesn't cure it. I did some googling and initially thought it was caused by Trusteer software, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm really beginning to lose hair over this now. Anybody got any clues what I can check? Are they deliberately ****ing up my service to get me to renew?

I've just ran a speed checker and it claims an download speed of 3.61Mbps and upload 2.63Mbps. In reality its nowhere near even that. I'm updating Unreal Engine at a rate of about 5k per minute.

Also why would they deliberately fcuk up your service to get you to renew? That would have the opposite effect.

So that you sign up to get a replacement modem because yours is clearly buggered exactly as you contract is ending?

I have absolutely no idea. Those type of figures don't interest me until it stops me from working. It's a fairly top end package I think....I'd have to ask the wife lol

Ok so apparently its BT Infinity 1. Unlimited usage. Up to 52Mb download speed.

So basically I'm being charged for superfast fibre optic broadband but getting ****ty standard broadband at best.

Grrr

Some poor sod in a call centre is getting an ear bashing on Monday.

So - that states 'standard' broadband... there may be something if you scroll down that says something about infinity... failing that, if you are happy to pm me your post code and house number (in confidence) I can do some digging for you (and no - I don't work for Bt!!) :)

BT are the worst company I have EVER had to deal with, I sympathise... They cut my service off for 10 days 'by accident' offering me a tenner refund for the inconvenience. Told 'em to shove it....

Good luck on Monday.

BT are the worst company I have EVER had to deal with, I sympathise... They cut my service off for 10 days 'by accident' offering me a tenner refund for the inconvenience. Told 'em to shove it....

Good luck on Monday.

The first time I went with BT back in 2005/6 they sent all the phones and modem etc but never connected us. I spent several hours on the phone to call centres in Mumbai and told them to cancel it. Twice they said they'd send packaging to return the handsets and modem but they never did. I ended up putting them on eBay. The wife still felt I was mad not to go want to go with BT again. Mmmm

@Neil McRae is probably the man to ask.

It seems that after a bit of investigation by Paul there may be an over subscription in my area thats slowing things down so I'll speak to them on Monday and see whats what. This wasn't a crack at Neil in any way and I expect him to reply about as much as I will to any negative threads related to what I do for a living i.e. not at all

Good luck on Monday.

So what amount of money would have bought you then? ;) LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It seems that after a bit of investigation by Paul there may be an over subscription in my area thats slowing things down so I'll speak to them on Monday and see whats what. This wasn't a crack at Neil in any way and I expect him to reply about as much as I will to any negative threads related to what I do for a living i.e. not at all

BT network does not throttle anywhere.

Rob - can you PM me your phone number and I'll look into it. It's possible this is the case but I'd be very surprised as we do most of our network upgrades for the whole year in one hit before September when network traffic picks up. We currently sit as number one for network performance and even at busy periods we're we **** all over the competition - Not saying this isn't our fault but let me look into it.

Infinity 1 is 53M service.
When you reboot the hub does it fix it? Even for a short time. Which hub are you using?

I personally don't mind responding to work queries. I'd rather I knew about them and fixed them than lose customers - it does make me chuckle when people post about something ten years ago though!

Cheers,
Neil

Last edited by a moderator:

Not sure how Paul could know that!

And no you won't be getting standard BT Broadband if you have ordered Infinity.

@carl can you PM me your number also so I can check why the checker is being stupid.

So what amount of money would have bought you then? ;) LOL

I work from home on a VDI stream so have to be online in order to work. I told them my annual salary and effectively how much I potentially lost by not being able to work for ten days. Ignoring this, they worked out the refund at £6 (no idea how) but increased it to £10 as a gesture of goodwill. Pathetic....

This is after waiting four months to get FTTP installed at home, which they ordered and cancelled three times in the process of sorting, with waits up to nearly an hour on phone trying to get through to the FTTP team because no-one else could deal with it.

I've already told them to put on my records that as soon as Sky get access to FTTP at my home, I'm off (subject to contract tie-in).

Didn't realise you were associated with BT Neil, but without exaggeration, they are by far the worst company I have dealt with in my life in relation to speaking with someone who knows what they are doing, will follow through with what they promise and actually resolve a problem.

BTW, I raised a complaint about it all and never got a response. Good eh.

Wish you'd never asked now? ;)

Sorry to the OP to deflect from the topic. Rant over...

Last edited:
I had to email the CEO to get my BT line sorted. Speaking to front line ****wits in India wasnt cutting the mustard.

@RobZombie Have you made any changes recently, extension telephone cable etc? Replaced the splitter (microfilter)?

I work from home on a VDI stream so have to be online in order to work. I told them my annual salary and effectively how much I potentially lost by not being able to work for ten days. Ignoring this, they worked out the refund at £6 (no idea how) but increased it to £10 as a gesture of goodwill. Pathetic....

This is after waiting four months to get FTTP installed at home, which they ordered and cancelled three times in the process of sorting, with waits up to nearly an hour on phone trying to get through to the FTTP team because no-one else could deal with it.

I've already told them to put on my records that as soon as Sky get access to FTTP at my home, I'm off (subject to contract tie-in).

Didn't realise you were associated with BT Neil, but without exaggeration, they are by far the worst company I have dealt with in my life in relation to speaking with someone who knows what they are doing, will follow through with what they promise and actually resolve a problem.

So you are using consumer broadband for a business? ;)

Our customer service isn't great but this year I'm spending over £80M in systems to improve it and we are at 80 odd percent in moving all calls back to the UK.

FTTP ordering is an area where we are particularly weak but have a lot of improvements coming. With regards to you complaint - did you get a complaint number as it's not acceptable that you didn't get a response to that.

Regards,
Neil.

Cheers,
Neil

Reactions: JMP

So you are using consumer broadband for a business? ;)

Our customer service isn't great but this year I'm spending over £80M in systems to improve it and we are at 80 odd percent in moving all calls back to the UK.

FTTP ordering is an area where we are particularly weak but have a lot of improvements coming. With regards to you complaint - did you get a complaint number as it's not acceptable that you didn't get a response to that.

Regards,
Neil.

Cheers,
Neil

I had to email the CEO to get my BT line sorted. Speaking to front line ****wits in India wasnt cutting the mustard.

@RobZombie Have you made any changes recently, extension telephone cable etc? Replaced the splitter (microfilter)?

No, no hardware changes at all. The modem plugs straight into an Openreach box so no filters.

The only other thing I'm thinking that might cause it (and this might be complete nonsense as I'm not very technical with this side of things) is that I'm using Oracle Virtualbox to run Perforce. Could that be interfering?

Utterly no insight into BT but I know "over subscription" is the ******** excuse Virgin keep giving me as to why I'm meant to be getting 150+ and often get less than 1.5. Always get told that my upgrade should be happening "next month". I did offer to only pay 1% of my bill as I only get 1% of the speed. Their solution was to suggest only using the net during the day when everyone else was at work.:mad: I can't even swap to BT infinity as that service stops 10 doors down from my house. :mad::mad:

Back
Top Bottom