What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Garden pinball house?

Cheers Paul. Either way, think I'll need to construct a concrete raft foundation like we did at Luke's. Probably 4.5 X 7 or 8 metres this time though.

Very interesting thread as I will be building such a structure in a year or so, I'm costing up at the moment with;

http://www.logcabins.co.uk/

Please keep us all informed on the project especially the concrete foundation as I am planning to do this this year ready for next years build.

cheers

i suspect they can change the felt to what you require for the difference in cost... they also will build for quite a cheap cost too... ( i think they said for them to build the 16x10 was something like £50ish... )!!!

They build them all on site themselves hence the flexibility - so i guess if you want 22mm roof then it'll just cost the difference in the wood cost

Blimey, that is cheap for installation if right. Did they mention ability to supply thicker cladding/logs? Have emailed already with spec I want, so will give them time to respond before calling.

Very interesting thread as I will be building such a structure in a year or so, I'm costing up at the moment with;

http://www.logcabins.co.uk/

Please keep us all informed on the project especially the concrete foundation as I am planning to do this this year ready for next years build.

cheers

Another link, thanks. Shame there's no price indications on there.

I'm getting a separate quote on Monday for just the concrete foundation. Plan on comparing to materials cost only (using local pinball labour ;)). 4.5 X 6.5 approx. Will let you know what comes back.

If you chose to go ahead with a supplier, surely you can either get them to waive of reduce the installation costs? Depends how busy they are at the time.

I'm getting a separate quote on Monday for just the concrete foundation. Plan on comparing to materials cost only (using local pinball labour ;)). 4.5 X 6.5 approx.

Cheapest readymix i could find for a 5mx3m base was £440.... thats for around 3 cubic meters of concrete (i think 15cm thick)...

Calculated the cost to do it by hand and it was around £350 - would it be worth it to have to cement Mix 3 cubic meters of concrete and then add it, all whilst trying to make sure it doesnt dry too fast and crack??? nahh.. too risky...

As with anything, you can get readymix suppliers to compete with each other.

When I got my driveway done, and foundations for my garage, I was buying a fair volume and it was by far cheaper to use readymix than make it by hand (at the end of the day the readymix suppliers are buying the raw materials in far far far greater quantities than you are)

If you were buying one cubic meter of readymix, then of course the cost is too high, because you are mostly paying for the delivery cost, every cubic meter above costs less and so there is a tipping point somewhere that the ready mix becomes cheaper than doing it yourself.

I'll get my receipts up and will be able to tell John exactly how much the groundwork cost for my pin cabin.

Another thing to consider is the disposal of the waste. While I am quite happy to have a mountain of soil in my garden and slowly get rid of it by putting it in wheely bins etc ;) I know John won't be and will want the disposal done immediately. You'll need to get a price for that as well. To get someone to shift it I was looking at £70-£100 per ton (I have aprox 4-5 tones) you'll probably have 4 times that to shift

For the size I'm looking at, ready mix would be sensible. Will be a lot more work mixing and doing it in stages.
Just need several barrows (and able-bodied persons) to shift it round as access is a bit awkward.

Based on your quote Paul, maybe around £600 then for me. Would need steel mesh and supporting timber edging too. Will compare this to builders quote for just the base next week. Cheers.

You're right Luke. No soil mountains for me for longer than a few days. There's plenty of space to distribute some around the garden but likely skip will be needed. All this factors add up to getting someone in to do it all if can get price right.

Yeah that's the problem, you try and find a skip hire company that will let you stick 16 tons of soil in a skip(s)

You'll need someone to take it away or use those hippo bag things, unless someone else knows of a better way

Would need steel mesh and supporting timber edging too.

not necessarilly - you can get away with polypropylene fibres in the mix as long as it is on a FIRM base... depending ont he exact size of course...You'll also need to remember to membrane under the entire concrete base...

Another link, thanks. Shame there's no price indications on there.

I'm getting a separate quote on Monday for just the concrete foundation. Plan on comparing to materials cost only (using local pinball labour ;)). 4.5 X 6.5 approx. Will let you know what comes back.

You probably don't want a block built one as cabins look nicer but out of curiosity I would get builder to quote for one and then at least you can compare prices and it would have cavity walls/insulation and you could then fit whatever size DG doors and windows.

Cheapest readymix i could find for a 5mx3m base was £440.... thats for around 3 cubic meters of concrete (i think 15cm thick)...

Calculated the cost to do it by hand and it was around £350 - would it be worth it to have to cement Mix 3 cubic meters of concrete and then add it, all whilst trying to make sure it doesnt dry too fast and crack??? nahh.. too risky...

I had a ridiculous quote from a builder last year for a 6 x 4M concrete base, around £1200, so of course project never got started :( Readymix was expensive due to being a part load plus hire of mini digger, electric barrow (or something like to move rmix as too far to pipe it) and skips, etc, etc.

Years ago you could get guvvy jobs done but nobody wants to know now.

You probably don't want a block built one as cabins look nicer but out of curiosity I would get builder to quote for one and then at least you can compare prices and it would have cavity walls/insulation and you could then fit whatever size DG doors and windows.
Disagree Steve. A block built structure can look way better and is a lot more maintenance friendly than a wooden shed/cabin.

Disagree Steve. A block built structure can look way better and is a lot more maintenance friendly than a wooden shed/cabin.

I do actually agree with you Darren was just that John had said previously, in conversation, that log cabin was his preference hence why I said what I did.

I think a lot depends on surrounding area, size of garden and what is/isn't there already. If I can get a good price for a block built one then I will probably go down that route as even though a decent spec log cabin is initially cheaper you then have to add on costs of base, extra insulation and as you say regular maintenance.

Does any one want to post a picture of their block built cabins?
I want to make an attractive feature and log cabins do the job nicely but know I could have more flexibility with block.
Mine is going to be 6x4 or 6x3.

Last edited:
I want to make an attractive feature and log cabins do the job nicely but know I could have more flexibility with block.

img.archiexpo.com_images_ae_photo_g_outdoor_toilets_public_spaces_83412_3770873.jpg

;)

Tis in the planning stages at the moment but I have considered maybe adding some trellis on the sides or maybe lath's and then faced with thin strips of wood rather than using exterior paint. Could always go the enviro friendly way and have a green roof?

If I had the time/funds to go for a proper brick/block built structure then I would have without question. As above it certainly would require less maintenance and be more secure overall (at the end of the day it is going to house thousands of pounds of pinball machines )

I had a ridiculous quote from a builder last year for a 6 x 4M concrete base, around £1200.....

6.5mx4.5m @ 20cm depth of C30 mix (you need a bigger base than the shed obviously!) works out around 5,85 M cubed of concrete - approx £480+vat (£570ish after)... so not too bad :)

After the weeks of work on Luke's cabin, block outbuilding was my first choice too but like you Steve, considering timber lathes or trellis' or something externally to stop it looking like a bunker. Main issue however is cost, I expect it to be more than double and despite offers of help, simply do not have the time or patience to do it myself other than maybe internal finishes/wiring.

Anyway, first builder here on on Monday that I've used before so with any luck...

Cost is my issue as well. Was quoted £5900 for approx 5.5 x 3.5 and I had to then supply DG french doors and windows.

How do you read/understand gov planning portal regs as to siting of a block building in relation to neighbors boundary? If log cabin it has to be one metre away but I read it that if built of non-combustible material then that doesn't apply so can be as close to boundary as you want as long as you don't exceed max eves height?

Last edited:
How do you read/understand gov planning portal regs as to siting of a block building in relation to neighbors boundary? If log cabin it has to be one metre away but I read it that if built of non-combustible material then that doesn't apply so can be as close to boundary as you want as long as you don't exceed max eves height?

Steve, my old outbuilding at previous house was bang on the boundary line as built of brick and block. The side wall actually formed the boundary wall. If I can stretch to a block outbuilding this time, I'm planning on 0.5 distance from boundary, just for access etc.

Who gave you the £5900 quote Steve and what spec if you don't mind me asking. Good for comparisons.

Steve, my old outbuilding at previous house was bang on the boundary line as built of brick and block. The side wall actually formed the boundary wall. If I can stretch to a block outbuilding this time, I'm planning on 0.5 distance from boundary, just for access etc.

Who gave you the £5900 quote Steve and what spec if you don't mind me asking. Good for comparisons.

Thats what I think if built of blocks then you can go as close to boundary as you wish rather than having to be at least 1m away for wood build.

Quote was from a builder and it was for digger, skips, materials, labour. Mark out and scrape base/dig footings, concrete footings, build using 7n paint grade blocks with insulated 75mm cavity and block on inside with walls having pointed finish. Stone, insulate and concrete base. Insulate ceiling space, plasterboard and plaster (think plasterboard and plaster was only for ceiling space). No mention of roof on quote but presumably that was included? I would have to source DG windows and doors but you can pick them up cheap off ebay or buy direct.

I thought that £5900 was expensive so if I can find somebody to do a guvvy job should be lots cheaper

Cost was an issue as well for my mate... He went for this one :

http://totalsheds.co.uk/gallery/16-x-8-and-16-x-10-total-summer-shed-style-tsh405/?portfolioID=55

With extra-high sides (6'6 instead of 6'), Came in at just over 1k built for the 16x10 version..

hasn't been delivered yet as apparently they are a little busy.. few weeks apparently.. Will post pics when he's had it installed :)
There building mine next wed got. The base done last week ill add some pics when it's all done

Attachments

• IMG_20140528_131611.jpg
    IMG_20140528_131611.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 26
Wow, far better than the 'estimate' for concrete foundation I got today. Who did you order your ready mix from out of interest? Did you put hardcore/stone down first or just plastic onto soft ground and concrete on top?

Wow, far better than the 'estimate' for concrete foundation I got today. Who did you order your ready mix from out of interest? Did you put hardcore/stone down first or just plastic onto soft ground and concrete on top?
First I took all the topsoil off until I hit clay then put down a thin layer of sharp sand to get level and not have stones pierce the plastic, then plastic then around 5 inches of cement, took me 3 weds todo, the cement company I used was axtell, you only pay for what you use and they mix on site to how you want it, I didn't put any hardcore down as my ground is solid clay.

Back
Top Bottom