What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flipper stuck

Just go back and double check all the ribbon and idc connectors and make sure they are not one row out or one column out on ribbon connectors. Display problems like this can also be the ribbon cable 1 row or column out and also check the one on the back of the display itselff as they can easily come unseated whilst messing around in the backbox with the display face down on the glass.
Thanks again, that’s 2 for 2! Again thought I may as well check behind the display and yes you got it…. It was half out!
Today is definitely a lesson learned!
So the display is now working 🤦‍♂️

Hi, taking a fresh look today.
Swapped the original fliptronic back in today and it did nothing. Flippers do nothing in test.

Thought I’d check the various leds on the boards and found a helpful video by pinball heaven ( I think someone mentioned this) and all the leds are acting correctly.

Moved onto fuses, there are 2 blown fuses.
1/ on the fliptronic board F901 which is upper right flipper. Makes sense as that is the original troubled one.
I’ve swapped the fuse over fromF902 as that’s upper left and there isn’t one on sttng.
Is this acceptable to do?

2/ the other blown is F112 on the power driver board.
Had a quick google and this appears to be the fuse for AC to the fliptronic board.

So am I correct in assuming when I was messing the re plugging up I could of caused a short and that’s what has blown F112?
And this is the reason that I’m getting nothing flipper wise?

It seems I maybe do deserve that slap I promised myself a couple of comments ago!

So am I correct in assuming when I was messing the re plugging up I could of caused a short and that’s what has blown F112?
And this is the reason that I’m getting nothing flipper wise?

It seems I maybe do deserve that slap I promised myself a couple of comments ago!

Yep and yep.

Perhaps or you could say every is a school day / you learn something new every day.

Replace those fuses and see if you have a working game. If not then you're back to square one and at least you know what you're doing this time round...

Yep and yep.

Perhaps or you could say every is a school day / you learn something new every day.

Replace those fuses and see if you have a working game. If not then you're back to square one and at least you know what you're doing this time round...
Would be nice if it were that simple😆
Where is that best place to buy fuses?
The manual say 7a S.B is that all the info I need?

Pinball mania and pinball heaven both stock the fuses you need. Hopefully one or the other will be open this week.

Note that getting ribbon cables out by a row or column doesn't lead to blown fuses so it is likely you got one of the idc connectors out by a row. Just check them again carefully before turning back on again

Paul

Pinball mania and pinball heaven both stock the fuses you need. Hopefully one or the other will be open this week.

Note that getting ribbon cables out by a row or column doesn't lead to blown fuses so it is likely you got one of the idc connectors out by a row. Just check them again carefully before turning back on again

Paul
Just ordered the 7A and some 3A for the fliptronic board from pinball heaven.
I thought that may be the case. I will double check before I power up after replacing the fuse. 👍

I found an old post online where having a ribbon cable misseated by one row or column resulted in flippers flipping up on power up and blowing f112 but no permanent damage was done. Hopefully it will be same cause and outcome for you.

Paul

I found an old post online where having a ribbon cable misseated by one row or column resulted in flippers flipping up on power up and blowing f112 but no permanent damage was done. Hopefully it will be same cause and outcome for you.

Paul
Well that’s encouraging, fingers crossed it’s the same for my situation, thanks 👍

Hi all,
Just want to check I’m on the right path.
I’ve swapped the 7A fuse f112 and also the 3A on the original fliptronic board for the upper right flipper.
I powered up with every cable in plugged- fine
Switch off and carefully plugged in one at a time and checking fuse after each cable.-all fine neither fuse blew.

However ball launcher is continually trying to launch balls and the coil that loads balls in the launcher was hit and miss when loading the balls to go under the playfield.

Next issue is the flippers work but the left would stay in hold and be un responsive. Thought this could be the flipper opto interrupter. So swapped it over and the problem happened on the right hand side.
I’ve ordered a new one as that one was an original working on an aftermarket flipper opto board whereas the working one was bought new with the other aftermarket flipper opto board….sorted.

However the upper right flipper 3A fuse is now blown!
Caused by the flipper opto I presume?

So I’m kinda getting there, but just this random coil activity now.
Could this be the fliptronic board?

As always, thanks for any input it’s much appreciated.

The flipper bat isn't too close to the table, it needs about a credit card width. Might cause it to stick.

Although not related to this thread, thank you so much @cmrl9 for this piece of information.

I'd completed a flipper rebuild and ensured the flipper was a small distance from the playfield when tightening the clamp, however, despite the flipper moving freely, after a couple of games, it stuck in the up position and wouldn't return.

I was pretty stumped as to why, as when I lifted the playfield, it moved freely again.

After reading this post on this thread, I re-adjusted the position of the clamp by putting a plastic membership card under the flipper, pushing the flipper against it, and re-tightened the clamp. It's been working perfectly for quite a few games since, so I'm now off to do the other 2 flippers in the same manner.

Many thanks!

👍
🙂

No, that will most likely be either a blown transistor (on the fliptronic board), coil or both (probably both).
Oh, so much for my logic 😆
Does the fliptronic board control all the coils or just the flippers?
Or is it really all in the name lol

Last edited:
Oh, so much for my logic 😆

Moonraker very experienced and help me diagnose my STTNG.

As I said before, in my experience your wasting your time until you get the boards checked.

1) Send boards away to Check/repair boards
2) Chang Diodes on all coils. Little black thing with a band on it. Make sure banding is the correct way round.
3)Check all wiring is plugged in correctly on the boards, tripple check all diodes before turnnig it back on, other wise you probably blow soemthing on the boards again.

Moonraker or others might advise other things, however all roads point to issues with the boards. They are minor if you know how to change and troubleshoot, howoever based upon previous threads, like me you don't :)

I'm sorry to bring a reality check, Keeping aimlessly troubleshooting won't get it to work and you will probably cause more problems. (and I say this with best intentions :) ) With my STTNG i stopped restoring/repairing, as soon as I suspected an issue with the boards. Both the fliptronnic and power driver board had issues, once these where resolved troublshooting all the other problems was do-able. (with assistance from helpul forum members)

As I said before, in my experience your wasting your time until you get the boards checked.

2) Chang Diodes on all coils. Little black thing with a band on it. Make sure banding is the correct way round.
3)Check all wiring is plugged in correctly on the boards, tripple check all diodes before turnnig it back on, other wise you probably blow soemthing on the boards again.

Moonraker or others might advise other things, however all roads point to issues with the boards. They are minor if you know how to change and troubleshoot, howoever based upon previous threads, like me you don't :)

I'm sorry to bring a reality check, Keeping aimlessly troubleshooting won't get it to work and you will probably cause more problems. (and I say this with best intentions :) ) With my STTNG i stopped restoring/repairing, as soon as I suspected an issue with the boards. Both the fliptronnic and power driver board had issues, once these where resolved troublshooting all the other problems was do-able. (with assistance from helpul forum members)
Forgot to add boards to be checked are:
Fliptronnics board, Power driver board. The others are probalby fine, as the display is working and its turning on :) if it didnt might be the CPU board.

I know your right, but it just seems so close to working and then something random goes wrong. It’s driving me mad .

Lesson learnt 👍

I know your right, but it just seems so close to working and then something random goes wrong. It’s driving me mad .

Lesson learnt 👍
*lol* welcome to STTNG. It took me 4/5 months to get mine working correctly. 3 of those was doing what you have been doing, only finally working out it was board issues, beacuse STTNG has so many potential challenges people correctly where saying check this and that, however fixing this and that just caused this and that to break in a loop as the root cause was the boards :) trying to save you months of pain :) @myPinballs I think repairs boards or will check them, drop him a message or pinball heaven :) He's offered others help with something similar although a stern :)

*lol* welcome to STTNG. It took me 4/5 months to get mine working correctly. 3 of those was doing what you have been doing, only finally working out it was board issues, beacuse STTNG has so many potential challenges people correctly where saying check this and that, however fixing this and that just caused this and that to break in a loop as the root cause was the boards :) trying to save you months of pain :) @myPinballs I think repairs boards or will check them, drop him a message or pinball heaven :) He's offered others help with something similar although a stern :)
Thanks I’ll drop them a message. I’ll update this thread when it’s working and what the problem was for future reference 👍

Although not related to this thread, thank you so much @cmrl9 for this piece of information.

I'd completed a flipper rebuild and ensured the flipper was a small distance from the playfield when tightening the clamp, however, despite the flipper moving freely, after a couple of games, it stuck in the up position and wouldn't return.

I was pretty stumped as to why, as when I lifted the playfield, it moved freely again.

After reading this post on this thread, I re-adjusted the position of the clamp by putting a plastic membership card under the flipper, pushing the flipper against it, and re-tightened the clamp. It's been working perfectly for quite a few games since, so I'm now off to do the other 2 flippers in the same manner.

Many thanks!

👍
🙂
No worries, I actually bought one of these:

Pretty useful, but obviously pointless getting if your not needing something specific that only marco has paying £35 delivery for something that cost 50 pence is a little overkill even by my stnadards "lol" and I imported fish paper!

Thanks I’ll drop them a message. I’ll update this thread when it’s working and what the problem was for future reference 👍
no worries, you'l probably need to troubleshoot the canons at some point and or the opto.

Ask them to check the solider joints on the boards as well, as one on the powerdriver board was causing the return to duty to misbehave on mine, (acording to the new owner), i didnt even know that it wasn't supposed to stay on for as long as it did!

no worries, you'l probably need to troubleshoot the canons at some point and or the opto.

Ask them to check the solider joints on the boards as well, as one on the powerdriver board was causing the return to duty to misbehave on mine, (acording to the new owner), i didnt even know that it wasn't supposed to stay on for as long as it did!
Funny you should say that, return to duty staying on too long is one of the new random faults!
Was that related to the power Driver board?

Yes, but not sure which, whether it was the fliptronics or power driver, I'm pretty sure it was the powerdriver.

All issues with STTNG point to boards "lol" , if its been off for years, (i'm joking about all issues being board related, just in case someone's flipper doesn't work and they start with the board :) )

The fliptronic circuit board has eight driver circuits, sufficient for four two-winding flipper coils. Four of these are two-stage drivers, with higher current transistors, and are used for the power windings. Star Trek Next Gen is an oddity in using its spare End-of-Stroke 'F#' switch (upper left) for the spinner instead. Many games with only two flippers use the upper flipper drives for other devices, though; Theatre Of Magic uses them for the basement trapdoor and the trunk magnet, Indiana Jones PBA for the ramp diverter and the pin controlling access to the tilting playfield. It's not unreasonable, a lot of those things use flipper-like dual winding coils.

The fliptronic circuit board has eight driver circuits, sufficient for four two-winding flipper coils. Four of these are two-stage drivers, with higher current transistors, and are used for the power windings. Star Trek Next Gen is an oddity in using its spare End-of-Stroke 'F#' switch (upper left) for the spinner instead. Many games with only two flippers use the upper flipper drives for other devices, though; Theatre Of Magic uses them for the basement trapdoor and the trunk magnet, Indiana Jones PBA for the ramp diverter and the pin controlling access to the tilting playfield. It's not unreasonable, a lot of those things use flipper-like dual winding coils.
Thanks for the info, all adding to my limited knowledge of this S.O.B of a machine 😆
I’m going to send the power driver board and fliptronic for a service etc , which is probably what I should of done at the beginning!

So just thought I’d update my STTNG journey.
Kinda gave up on January as needed to regain my enthusiasm as I was out of ideas and the damn thing didn’t make sense.

So I took some advice and send power driver and fliptronic board to mypinballs to either fix or eliminate them as the problem.
Turns out both were fine apart from the burnt out j120 header which Jim duly changed.

He also gave me some good tips as to what to look for.

So found a short on the launcher switch which was a diode that had been bent over, easy fix.
Installed boards with new ribbon cables and everything was working…. Until the top right flipper blew a fuse!
Tested the coil and it was reading low on the hold side.
I then remembered that at Christmas I’d found that that coil was hot and with the help of an email from Sean at pinball palace found it was the flipper opto not operating correctly.
So I changed the plastic actuator and problem sorted.
Changed the coil this week and bingo games all working!
Only took me about a year from when I bought it but then again Rome wasn’t built in a day 😉

Thanks to everyone who helped and fed me info, it’s all very much appreciated.

Time to play a bit before the next stage 😊

Back
Top Bottom