What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Fish Tales Playfield Resurrection - Gone Fishing, Leave a Message....

myPinballs

Site Supporter
Alias
Jim
Another myPinballs project. This time the restoration and resurrection of a partially populated Fish Tales playfield that i picked up recently and the installation of it into my doctor who cabinet to play 2 games for the price of 1!

The main thing that drew me to this having collected and restored countless games over the years is the challenge to get it back to factory fresh condition and the fact the playfield in question looked to be in good shape with no wear in the usual places. Looked to have been 'parted out' awhile back before the surface had got really worn. Also as mentioned above the idea to plug it into an existing cabinet to change around the games available for me to play. As my games room is always full lugging games in and out to swap them about isn't the fun it once was ;)

But first, inspection and assessment of what is missing. What needs sorting, etc.

Box arrives:

IMG_7792.jpg
IMG_7795.jpg

Initial inspection of the central playfield area around the tales told inserts.

IMG_7797.jpg IMG_7796.jpg

More inspection pics to come later

Are you doing anything to the actual playfield itself? Or did it just need a rub down?

That's a lot of rust! On the plus side, the playfield looks in better than average condition around the fish inserts. Looking forward to this shop log.

Cracking restoration job your taking on @myPinballs . :thumbs:.... Hat's off to you my friend, and the others on here who bring these beauties back to life.....
If I was in power they'd be a few OBE's handed out for services to "restoration & entertainment".. and a Knighthood for cleaning that up.. lol ;)

BB

the shooter lane actually looks quite fresh, as though it is a low mileage game

The playfield itself is in very good condition without any wear really, so just needed a clean and polish. Looks like the game it came from broke down early on its life and the playfield was parted out, or possibly the game was just mothballed after the original 3 year run.

This is what the playfield was like on the underside before i did anything. No black dusty dirt near the flipper end at all. Reminds me what games were like years back when you bought them straight off their original sited run.

IMG_7850.jpg IMG_7852.jpg IMG_7853.jpg

Found a few new parts in the spares stash for mechs that need replacing/ are missing
IMG_7887.JPGIMG_7890.jpg

Some update pics. Lower playfield cleaned. Coils cleaned, Loom cleaned, Switches cleaned and switches re-installed. Lamp inserts cleaned

IMG_7891.jpg IMG_7892.jpg IMG_7893.jpg IMG_7895.jpg IMG_7896.JPG IMG_7897.jpg

Trough mech reassembled

IMG_7888.jpg

Sling shot arms reinstalled

IMG_7889.jpg

Pop bumpers reassembled using all new sleeves, metal braces and plungers. Missing coil replaced

IMG_7905.jpg IMG_7906.JPG IMG_7900.jpg

Love the passion in this!

25 years of passion in pinball and counting. This type of thing is how i keep the pinball mojo going. Often doing different projects of things that require a little searching to sort out can keep the interest going. Worth thinking about if you find yourself lacking the mojo. I see posts about people loosing theirs ever so often.

Last edited:
Some sourced parts for missing items arrived yesterday

IMG_7970.JPG

The beginnings of sorting out the missing reel drive and control

IMG_7973.jpg

Reel opto board cleaned and serviced. Good as new

IMG_7974.jpg

2 More mechanism restored and reinstalled

IMG_7975.jpg IMG_7980.jpg

This is how the underside is now looking

IMG_7981.jpg IMG_7982.jpg

Some more pics of the latest progress. Got the support rails sorted out (thanks @replicas) playfield hooks, sling shots and all new flipper mechanisms all fitted.

IMG_8093.jpg IMG_8094.JPG IMG_8095.JPG

Moved on to sorting out the lamp boards

IMG_8097.jpg IMG_8099.jpg

Once these are back on i just need to fix the autolaunch mechanism and cabling then i can turn the playfield over and crack on with the upper side :D

Some updates on recent progress

All underside mechs complete and lamp boards going back on (reel opto mounting brackets and some reel parts still to sort out)

IMG_8104.jpg

Autolaunch mechanism recreated and reinstalled from spares

IMG_8105.jpg IMG_8107.jpg IMG_8105.jpg IMG_8115.JPG

Rear Backboard resprayed and rebuilt. Rear LIE plastic cleaned and polished. Coloured bulbs added in places.

IMG_8103.JPG

IMG_8138.jpg IMG_8135.jpg IMG_8136.jpg IMG_8137.jpg IMG_8139.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8103.JPG
    IMG_8103.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8109.jpg
    IMG_8109.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8116.JPG
    IMG_8116.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8117.JPG
    IMG_8117.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 9
Time spent recreating the Tale Told lamp and flasher loom. Both bulb holders were corroded nastily and are visible on the upper playifeld so they had to go.

IMG_8188.jpg IMG_8189.JPG IMG_8190.JPG

Next up, Couple of my favourite reassembly jobs - Installing New GI bulbs and fitting new star posts.

New GI bulbs installed.

IMG_8199.jpg

Received an order of parts from @pinballmania along and with using my hoard of new bolts and screws, now have all new star posts and shiny hardware fitted along with a new rubber kit.

IMG_8201.jpg IMG_8202.jpg IMG_8203.jpg IMG_8204.jpg IMG_8205.jpg

Back
Top Bottom