What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zaccaria on Free Play?

I don't know what complete assemblies might be made to fit as I have always reconditioned the originals by making new parts for anything I couldn't buy such as the plastic links (3mm HDPE). Replacement coils are available here. If you find a suitable replacment assembly I would be keen to know the details though.

Looks like that flipper rebuild is coming sooner than I was expecting...

Attachments

• MOV_2274.mp4
    26.1 MB
Do the top playfield flippers behave the same way? Check the bridge P5 for the 39VRM supply and make sure it isn't giving out a half-wave waveform due to an open diode or dry joint.

Do the top playfield flippers behave the same way? Check the bridge P5 for the 39VRM supply and make sure it isn't giving out a half-wave waveform due to an open diode or dry joint.

I haven't had time to investigate it yet but I had switched all the pinballs on and was down on my knees by the machine opening a box and thought I could smell a really faint burning smell and then this seems to be the result. Thanks, I'll try out the upper flippers in a bit.

Only other thing I can think off that will cause that behaviour if the voltages are OK, would be open circuit holding windings on the flipper solenoids so that they keep dropping back until the end of stroke contact re-closes

Would be odd for both flippers to fail at the same time, the same way though. The holding coil windings on the Zacc coils are about 560 ohms

Also the left flipper was really over sensitive, you only had to breathe on it to make it flip (which is why I wanted to do a rebuild). So I think I'll just replace all that to start with.

Yeah I'll replace those switches too. But realistically I probably won't have time to look at it until Xmas now. What a pain!

Check EOS for gap and continuity. Unlikely to be both coils having shorted on the hold circuit but stranger things have happened...

Had a quick look under the hood. Visually the leaf switches look ok, nothing binding up. I've never tried firing a flipper with the playfield raised before. Quite a big spark on the EOS when firing the coil. Is that normal?

anyone figured out how to turn classic sterns to freeplay?

Remember to turn the power off when checking continuity with a meter...

I'm going to have to park this until Xmas unfortunately. Trying to get a game ready for release on Steam by Halloween so spending any amount of time on this machine is dangerous for me. Will have a better look at it in a few months time. Really appreciate the help guys. Thanks!

Well, it took longer than I was hoping to get around to this but its time to fix the crazy flippers. I've checked the EOS and they look ok. I can't visibly see any wiring problems. The upper flippers work normally, its just the lower ones that are machine gunning. Any ideas what to check next?

Attachments

• MOV_0841.mp4
    31.3 MB
Ahh bugger. Pulled the fuses, looked ok. Reseated all the board connsctors and now the flippers are no longer machine gunning. They're now dead as a dodo.

You probably have a problem with one of the board connectors now. Double check that they are not offset by one pin. Hopefully you only removed one at a time so that they aren't mixed up.
Looking at the video it appears to me that the holes in the nylon linkage to the flipper plunger are very worn at the flipper end and the EOS switches are opening too late. They are opening when the flipper arm is right at the end of its stroke and it then swings back a bit due to the slop in the linkage hole and the switch then closes again and the process is repeated. Try setting the EOS switches to open a bit sooner once you have got power back onto them.

Yes the one on the left is extremely sloppy. Its almost falling out of the coil. I'll completely replace them if I can get the parts. I don't think I took the connectors out far enough to risk misalignment but I'll check again in the morning.

This is my favourite Zac we have one that is in the club - flippers have to be in top shape to hit the upper playfield and I think if you get a game that can’t make that shot reliably it’s a bit of a disappoint game. I love the top left loop shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Its a cracking game but boy does it kick you in the nuts at the end. "Hey you did rubbish"

Oh great, and now the rat hole return has packed in on Dracula. Time to call it a night.

I just looked at that flipper video again. Check the top hat brackets that the coils are mounted onto - I think you might have a broken one - they crack along the folds. I had to make one new one for the Pinball Champ at the club when I rebuilt that for Matt.

Both the coils have quite a bit of play in them which was unexpected. Doesn't seem right. I'll definitely replace the entire mechanisms including brackets if the parts are available, or even switch to Bally Williams bits. I'm not precious about this machine from a preservation perspective, just want it playing as well as it can.

AFAIK the brackets are not available anywhere. I make new ones out of 25mm x 3mm wall thickness square tube with the top plate of the original bracket bonded onto it and tapped through. A bit hard to describe and I don't seem to have a photo of one which would make it clear, but they are much stronger than the originals and actually improve the flippers as a result.

Also, if you can do them with all new coils and linkages etc so I can just bolt them in and solder up let me know a price please. Reading back through the thread it seems my coils are wrong anyway so happy to just replace the lot.

Back
Top Bottom