What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WOZ GI coloured when it should be white!

Pablo-UK

Site Supporter
Alias
Paul
Yes another WOZ lighting issue my GI has gone all funky colours when it should be white.

My question is has anyone had the Ver 2.0 lighting system fitted?

I know its expensive but this problem is doing my head in trying to fix it.

Obviously if anyone has any advice on how to fix it would be appreciated.

What I am finding is the game plays flawless but the GI is coloured instead of white.

when the table is showing the light show the lamps go white so it is capable of turning the boards white but just not in GI?

I can see this costing me a fortune but lets see.

Thanks Paul

I have had 2 of these pins and both had light board problems, but mine was a flicking light or a light which was out.
Have you put in in the test mode with all lights on to see if anything is out, if one board has a problem then the next one up displays the wrong colour.
If there is a faulty light board you can take the wire out of it and go to the next board in the chain, you also have to turn the faulty board off in the menu and then the other boards display the correct colour.
The GI boards are around £25 each, I had to replace 3 of the big ones which were all over £100 each, but yours looks like it could just be one GI board out which is then sending the wrong colour to the others.
Also worth just unplugging them all and putting them back as that also solves problems sometimes.
I would fire up the menu and get the light test on and see what you can find.

I haven’t even received my woz yet and it has been problem free with the previous owner since new but I’ve ordered the 2.0 kit through Phil. I just know with my luck it will play up. And if it doesn’t, it will provide a huge piece of mind to the new buyer when i come to sell it.

Iv had my WOZ since November it has the 7.5 boards, had to replace the scarecrow board and a few smaller ones. Been ok for a few months but iv hardly played it.
Never the less iv just ordered the 2.0 kit ready for when another board goes, as it’s so annoying when they to fail.

Iv had my WOZ since November it has the 7.5 boards, had to replace the scarecrow board and a few smaller ones. Been ok for a few months but iv hardly played it.
Never the less iv just ordered the 2.0 kit ready for when another board goes, as it’s so annoying when they to fail.

I have also ordered with Phil so if you did to I think we will be sharing the post :-o

I did repair a couple of boards, but was not easy, was always the driver chip that failed.

Attachments

• 20161020_102641.jpg
    20161020_102641.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 20161020_102817.jpg
    20161020_102817.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 20161020_135414.jpg
    20161020_135414.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited by a moderator:
I did repair a couple of boards, but was not easy, was always the driver chip that failed.
Thats pretty impressive, you must have steady hands. That camera is great, I was struggling to see damaged tracks on the switch chip after I desoldered it.

Thats pretty impressive, you must have steady hands. That camera is great, I was struggling to see damaged tracks on the switch chip after I desoldered it.

I could never see it with the naked eye, got to have a HD microscope and if you get it on a good size TV that also helps.
I also wrote a sketch so I could test them on the bench and not risk plugging them in the pin.

View attachment 20161018_190639 (1).mp4

WoZ was supposed to be in the line up for NYCPC but when turning it on it wouldn't boot. One area where Stern have nailed it is the simplicity of their machines That huge PC setup in the bottom of the cab of WoZ is a scary nightmare.

Yeah Neil you are dead right it frightens me to. but to be honest the game is a real gem and a very family friendly machine that they can all enjoy.

I have just bought the Ver 2.0 light upgrade and plan to fit in the near future hopefully it will give me a good few years problem free fingers crossed.

The fact that it’s the driver chip that always fails makes it a scandal beyond belief that JJP charge for the updated boards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Never really paid much attention to the boards on my WOZ as the machine is pretty reliable. Does anyone have photos of the 7.5v buffered boards. Do they have what looks like aftermarket jumper wire ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom