What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would like to get back into pinball :)

Rob, don't get into pinball otherwise you'll never get BB8 done.

But they are looking good!

BB8 will get finished, but I was not happy with the 3D printing quality, so just waiting for the DVD to come out next month as I think one of the extras will be the making of BB8.
We can then reverse engineer it and get some cad files done to make the parts from aluminium which is a joy to work with and each part will fit together like a glove :)
The only danger with this pinball hobby is lack of space and my back from lifting these things............

Noticed that in your video, R2 is in the way of the next pin.

You'll have to build your own man cave or Millennium Falcon.

Rob that's a fantastic set up its looks great, well done matey!

Thanks, have just moved R2 so hope to get something next week to fill the space

Hi Rob, amazing R2!

Just to mention about the UK pinball league as I can't see anyone has yet (not on this thread anyway...) we're part way through the season but you are very welcome to get involved, the next meet might be a bit far away in Lincoln but the one after that is at Tilt in Birmingham (22nd May). Shout up if you want more info - it's a great day out playing pinball.

Hi Rob, amazing R2!

Just to mention about the UK pinball league as I can't see anyone has yet (not on this thread anyway...) we're part way through the season but you are very welcome to get involved, the next meet might be a bit far away in Lincoln but the one after that is at Tilt in Birmingham (22nd May). Shout up if you want more info - it's a great day out playing pinball.

Only just seen your reply, I would like to come to the Birmingham, but I dont think I would be involved for more than a few minutes as that how long a game lasts.
I have no idea how people work the way through a game with just 3 balls, I am playing Sopranos every night and the only way I can work my way through the ranking is to change it to easy or 5 balls :)

Rob don't be fooled by the league being called a league, it's just an excuse for a load of people to get together and play some pinball.
Don't get me wrong there are some very skilled players in the league but we all have to start somewhere. The league meets are usually great crack and you will learn something from each meet, don't be shy because you are not a great player, it's really not about that..

Go along to a meet, you won't regret it and you will meet some of the freindlist people. The guys in our league frequently swap games for a few months at a time, so you get to play machines at home without having to buy them or even swap same value machines etc.

Basically do it....

Rob, I joined my local league this year and recommend it for what ever you need from pinball.

Before I joined I was a lone person playing pinball in my dining room. I had this forum for advice but you can't beat talking to like minded people for all sorts of advice and help.

Do it and you'll not look, just forward thinking how you going to get more pins in your collection.

As you guys seem to like the R2 here is the periscope almost finished, it needs to have lights installed, will have a row of LED's which chase and then a very bright Cree white LED for the main output.
It will also have a slow sweep movement in the final code, this has been one of the most complex parts and will be happy when it finished.

A few of you guys have asked about my R2 so here is yet another vid, its almost complete, had lots of problems with the periscope as getting the dome panel to land perfect was a problem, but as with all problems its just a case of finding a solution.
I am going to start on the LED lighting today and then I hope to get him out to a few events.

When is going to be able to do the hologram thing?

My brother in law was at a convention in Edinburgh the other week and they had Star Wars but nothing as good as your R2.

Great work!!

The hologram is not so difficult, there are some real small DLP projectors that some builders have used and somebody had mad the film clip of Lea
Any chance of a vid of him in short circuit mode? Looks so cool

I will do one later, I just found this one while looking which is pretty cool as he was getting so much attention, people cant see that I control him as the remote is custom made and just fits in my pocket.
Its great to see peoples reaction when they came out after watching the movie to see R2

Maybe you could bring R2 along to the Northern Lights Pinball Show at the Play Expo at Manchester in October. ????
Plenty of people would be blown away with him, it would be a ideal audience.

When is going to be able to do the hologram thing?
+1 that would be wicked, maybe a puff of smoke first to light up the projection too.
but i have a bigger challenge for you: could you rig up a way for R2 to stand in front of, and 'control' a pinball machine so it looks like he's playing it? if i could see him do his awesome 'Jake the peg' 3-legged walk up to a game, shuffle and bleep a bit, press the start button, assume a pose, and shoot some loops .... then i would eat my hat

+1 that would be wicked, maybe a puff of smoke first to light up the projection too.
but i have a bigger challenge for you: could you rig up a way for R2 to stand in front of, and 'control' a pinball machine so it looks like he's playing it? if i could see him do his awesome 'Jake the peg' 3-legged walk up to a game, shuffle and bleep a bit, press the start button, assume a pose, and shoot some loops .... then i would eat my hat

Challenge on Rob!!

We have the greatness in the room :)
Lee Towersey the man behind the R2 units that were used in the last Star Wars movie :)
Are you starting a pinball collection now like me Lee ?
I needed something to do once my R2 was finished and these pinballs do keep you busy, but very addictive hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have the greatness in the room :)
Lee Towersey the man behind the R2 units that were used in the last Star wars movie :)
Are you starting a pinball collection now like me Lee ?
I needed something to do once my R2 was finished and these pinballs do keep you busy, but very addictive hobby.

Well, I guess it's unusual to be an R2 building Pinball collector yet here we both are!

Yes, I need to get on some machines to see what my next purchase will be. Had to start with DE Star Wars for obvious reasons but now got the bug so there has to be more in my den!

I started with Sopranos as my favourite TV show and its just a great game, I then got Terminator 3 and now have Ghostbusters on the way.
I have put all LED's in them which makes a world of difference, got a tumbler to polish all the small metal bits,, do you have a next pin in mind ?

I think we need the CGI guys to do this as I see a small problem like he has no arms :)

I'm thinking one of the top rated games such as TOM but want to try a few out before I shell out a load of dosh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we need the CGI guys to do this as I see a small problem like he has no arms :)

Why not have him insert his data input spike into a modified coin slot (should be right height?) and have someone remote control the pinball in the same way you're controlling R2?

You'd have to mod the pin too ofc but if you do it on a machine with an electronic launcher instead of a plunger (DE:SW? ;)) you could run it all through a Rasperry Pi in the same way as @Mooseman's TAF chair.

P.S. If you're ever this way up the M6 feel free to drop in for a few TOM games ;)

Last edited:
Why not have him insert his data input spike into a modified coin slot (should be right height?) and have someone remote control the pinball in the same way you're controlling R2?

You'd have to mod the pin too ofc but if you do it on a machine with an electronic launcher instead of a plunger (DE:SW? ;)) you could run it all through a Rasperry Pi in the same way as @Moosemans TAF chair.

P.S. If you're ever this way up the M6 feel free to drop in for a few TOM games ;)

How's he going to see the playfield?

Sounds like R2 could be a guest of honor at the Northern Lights Pinball Show, if he's got his own table to take with him!

You'd have to mod the pin too ofc but if you do it on a machine with an electronic launcher instead of a plunger (DE:SW? ;)) you could run it all through a Rasperry Pi in the same way as @Moosemans TAF chair.

We could probably knock something up at NLP for R2 to play a machine. Thinking of the machine we had operated by a console joystick.
Would look pretty cool looking like R2 was playing a pinball.

Reactions: RGV
Back
Top Bottom