What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Williams Turf Champ EM (Pink TuTu Refurb)

Biff

Site Supporter
Alias
****a
Well we are underway, gave it a once over. It has had a bit of rodent damage in the back box (but nothing to conductor level that i can see), had a 25A fuse where a 10A should have gone (could indicate more issues or just sticky mechs), a blown fuse and loads of busted wires, broken solder joints and dry joints.

Anyway some pretty pictures as follows. I will pull out the bottom panel later tonight and start striping this down. It has an after market 240 - 110 transformer installed. I will also be applying an earth brade to all significant exposed / extraneous conductive parts (e.g. leg brackets coin door etc.

There is a cracking mechanism for pulling the horses along that works on a lubricated Clutch break system. The chains are real sticky though so will need to sort them, to lubricate or not to lubricate afterwards is the question :)

P1030245.JPGP1030246.JPGP1030247.JPGP1030253.JPGP1030259.JPGP1030263.JPGP1030265.JPG

That horse mech is insane (in a good way) wouldnt see anything like that now days.

Interesting looking game in general, did you bet on the horses and then try and get yours to win ?

Mate. I am so unlucky with Gambling, if i did that the horse would still fall! :rofl:

Cant wait to play this bad boy.
whats your ETA completion, or is it just whenever?
Either way, looks well cool

That horse mech is insane (in a good way) wouldnt see anything like that now days.

Interesting looking game in general, did you bet on the horses and then try and get yours to win ?

Williams made a few games with that type of race mechanism, but usually it was in the back box. A horse (or whatever) would be randomly selected when starting a game, but could be changed during play.
The objects weren't always horses, though. Other variants were banger-racing cars and speedboats

Okay a bit more, my tumbler is going to go bang soon, been non stop mostly since Jan! Now got the bottom panel cleared of all metal, including the gash wood screws holding the 240 transformer on the board. Installed some T nuts for that for when i put in the new earth later. I will need to repro a few knackered labels, and tumble some more metal, then clean up the yellow board. A few more tubs of metal and i can start putting the bottom panel back together again.

Wont be long before NLP. Anyone fancy a go on an old timer EM, i am bringing some along so will see you there. Can't wait for that then there is Midland league meet round mine on the 28th.

Cheers

JB

Attachments

• P1030643.JPG
    P1030643.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 26
  • P1030644.JPG
    P1030644.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 26
Bottom panel going back together now, clean with a few shiny bits too! Thank feck for Autosol metal polish and shed loads of elbow grease and rags :)

P1030645.JPGP1030646.JPG

Been a while, almost on the last furlong... As long as i don't fall at the last hurdle...

Anyway. Bottom panel is now all back together again. Main cab was also stripped, cleaned and metal work tumbled and also back together. Found loads of busted wires, maladjusted (like me) contacts and sticky mechs where it looks like they have used jam to lubricate...

Some of the labels i had to damage when i removed them. I had to remove so that i could metal polish the larger parts. Sooooo.... I did a bit of testing and it turns out that Te;y pyramid tea bags (fresh) in warm water and Nescafe dark roast mix make a great paper stain (to mach the other labels). Top tip: When staining stain the paper first, wait to dry then iron with no steam to get flat again - then print your writing onto it. If you print before the stain the ink will blead... See first image, which are the new and which are the old labels?

I only have the playfield to srtip and clean then we can power it up.

Some pictures below.. Not much longer now. I am hoping to have it ready in the next month or so.

P1030850.JPGP1030851.JPGP1030852.JPG
The above took me 8 hours just to refit and align these contacts! I hope they work!!!
eP1030853.JPG
P1030854.JPG

Wow doing a great job John , if the weather is good in August I might bring it along to Daventry . Was going to make it a pay per play game though and all proceeds to charity . If the player does per chance get their horse to win then a small prize for doing so will be offered , ie 3 pinballs or something like that .... Have to see how it plays first and how easy it is to win otherwise it could be an expensive weekend for me :-( . If it's scheduled rain for that weekend will have to rethink as only got an open top pickup ... Better get my **** in gear and sort the back glass restoration Mel

All done.

Some pics and unusually for me a couple of videos. For what seems a relativity simple game, it was a right ****! There were loads and i mean loads of bits of metal and mechanical widgets. When I finished of course it didn't work straight out of the box, oh no to ****ing easy... :) It needed a twiddle here and there and some craft work on the Williams snow shoes wiper bits. Shes good to go now.

IMG_1483.jpgIMG_1484.jpgIMG_1485.jpgIMG_1486.jpgIMG_1487.jpgIMG_1488.jpg

https://youtu.be/5nGT0A5asEI

https://youtu.be/MsbgMQwT8mY

Blown away by what you've done there @Biff Well done.
Any chance of a video of it running.
Want to see it move and click

That looks magnificent - any chance of a video of it in action (even better with a concurrent vid of what's going on underneath)?

Great work John, that looks a awesome machine. Looking forward to playing it sometime in the future.

Brilliant job, the game looks great fun to plan, and so unusual. It surprised me watching the video just how often the ball actually reaches the flippers.

Back
Top Bottom