What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who Fancies an Overseas Holiday ?

Just sent @Dave Bishop a message...

I just cancelled my 2021 holiday... rescheduling is out the window out for me as not happy with the restrictions and changes... No fast passes, No dining reservations, No parades, No Fireworks, No M&G's

Worst of all even stopping on resort doesn't guarantee entrance into the parks because of the capacity restrictions

I always book direct with Disney for my hotel and tickets, so my refund was processed and cash back in my bank in 3 days

I'm considering heading back over to Tokyo Disney Resort later in the year
Apparently Disney themselves have been the BEST and most understanding around this. Kinda what you would expect, however good to know.

I havent been for 2 years now, however went 6 times in the previous 5 years... starting to get the itch again..... 2021 would be good tho as it's the 50th anniversary (and also my 50th!).. but current prices are ridiculous!!

Another regular visitor to Disney parks here, travel to Orlando at least once a year and often end up at one of the other resorts too, most frequently CA and HK. Agree that it simply isn’t worth even considering going until this whole situation is totally behind us, which unfortunately means a vaccine.

I also don’t exactly trust Disney to return to the way things were before if they think they can get away with charging the same or even more for a lesser experience. Time will tell, but Disney are notorious for increasing pricing whilst simultaneously cutting costs if they can. Hoping that they prove me wrong this time.

I’d absolutely recommend getting a full refund if at all possible at this point and holding off on rebooking. As @Tilt_Birmingham says, the currently proposed offering is poor to say the least, and isn’t really the Disney experience at all.

As for the topic at hand - we have no interest in booking any holidays at the moment. We had an Orlando trip booked for April which was cancelled, and we were actually meant to be in NYC right now. Fortunately we hadn’t made any bookings for later in the year, and definitely not making any plans for now.

Hi All
Thanks for the messages

We booked with Charter Travel - payment was bank transfer. They said that they would not refund the money and that it was best to rebook. We booked a villa just outside Disneyland. Pretty much made out like it was my only option or loose the money all together..

bought our tickets from Attractiontickets.com they are offering 80% of the ticket price back. Paid that on CC so guess I could claim on that.

Had a lucky financial escape. Was going to spend a stupid amount of cash in Jan on taking the family to see my sister in Oz. I’ve never been so was talked into booking BusInes class flights as Ive also never done that. Wanted to go via Japan if possible. Managed to persuade my wife to hold off at the very last min as reports were coming in about the virus and my logic was the Japanese part might get affected. Ha. Little did I realise. I suspect getting that cash back would have been a nightmare.

Cant see us going anywhere this summer. We need to see Anna’s folk down in Cornwall but is anywhere going to be open and is there a realistic risk that hospitals in the West Country might get swamped ? Looking into self catering but no where is taking bookings at the moment.

We had booked for Disney with Virgin for Easter this year, it would have been our second time! I fell for the once in a lifetime trip line, the first time, but it really was that good we decided to go again!
We are currently on day 82 of waiting for a £9.5k refund, I have stated a charge back with my credit card provider (we are about 4 weeks into a 6 week wait!), I have sent various emails and I’m know at the stage that I’m threatening court action, it may we’ll get to court! Legally For a refund with a package holiday they have 14 days, they have been stating 90days, they now are talking about 120 days??
Worse thing is there is no one to talk too? You end up going around and around just getting fobbed off? We won’t be considering Virgin in the future.
We looked at rebooking but what they were offering Would have cost us an additional £4K? With no dinning package etc etc. And the limitations of what’s available we will decided to see what happens maybe it will turn out to be the once in a lifetime trip!

Surely it's safer to travel abroad now than holidaying in the UK? Unless you're planning on going to Brazil, Mexico, Russia etc

We had booked for Disney with Virgin for Easter this year, it would have been our second time! I fell for the once in a lifetime trip line, the first time, but it really was that good we decided to go again!
We are currently on day 82 of waiting for a £9.5k refund, I have stated a charge back with my credit card provider (we are about 4 weeks into a 6 week wait!), I have sent various emails and I’m know at the stage that I’m threatening court action, it may we’ll get to court! Legally For a refund with a package holiday they have 14 days, they have been stating 90days, they now are talking about 120 days??
Worse thing is there is no one to talk too? You end up going around and around just getting fobbed off? We won’t be considering Virgin in the future.
We looked at rebooking but what they were offering Would have cost us an additional £4K? With no dinning package etc etc. And the limitations of what’s available we will decided to see what happens maybe it will turn out to be the once in a lifetime trip!
That’s what the travel agent did with my mum. When they went into automated email response mode - they changed the wording of the responses, moving the goalposts from 4 weeks to an open ended timescale. I kept a full log of all correspondence which got uploaded to the online Section 75 application. Before you initiate any court action..... let the banks do the chasing. They will try scaring them to returning the money to you, if Virgin refuse then the financial institution will have to cough up as the goods failed to deliver. If the CC won’t cough up you simply go straight to the financial ombudsman, they will then open a case with the financial institution 👍

let the banks do the chasing.
Thanks for the reply, problem is it depends what bank you paid with! We paid via a Tesco credit card, they won’t even look at it until after 6 weeks?
I’ve heard some other banks have refunded money within hours?
Anyway it will all come to a head within the next week or so

We’ve got a holiday booked in a static in Lacanau, France for July not yet paid in full, balance due soon. Waiting to see what the 27th June quarantine review brings before we try to get back deposit or just postpone until next summer. If we’re allowed to travel we will go, the missus wants to staycation in Cornwall instead but I think that’s riskier. Will be travelling by car and eurotunnel so no need to come into contact with any other Brits.

Looking at booking skiing Andorra for March, small deposit only, hoping the situation will have massively changed by then but may wait to see if any good deals come up.

Been saving for years to do Disney 2021, when the youngest will be old enough to get on all the rides, not realising back then it was the 50th anniversary. That put us off a bit as can’t stand queuing for hours. Not sure what to do now, surely restrictions will be different by then, but hiw busy will it be next year, more so because of this year’s cancellations or less because of fear and job redundancies?

As for job uncertainty, yeah it’s a worry and as a Disney trip for 5 is going to cost well over 10k that idea will be binned if I’m out of work ☹️.

Thanks for the reply, problem is it depends what bank you paid with! We paid via a Tesco credit card, they won’t even look at it until after 6 weeks?
I’ve heard some other banks have refunded money within hours?
Anyway it will all come to a head within the next week or so
All still regulated by the FCA. Tesco will be the family friendly front facing end, not sure who the financial institution will be in the back end.
Give these guys a call:-
https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

Too soon?
I'm glad I went abroad in February and can accept that I may have to wait quite some time until I get to go on a normal holiday again!
Yeh that dropped into my inbox too... Sorry to me the magic is gone if you dont have everything open and no facemasks.. (those are irritating/painful after a couple of hours, let alone days!)

Stopped using Virgin holidays for everything a few years ago, if i can use my Vmiles and get discount on PE (refuse to travel steerage) then i do, nine times out of ten LGW was always cheapest, stay at premier in onsite night before jobs a goodun. However i've used norwegian and Tui (both on dreamliners) for East coast, basic but excellent services up the pointy end in PE. For west coast, use Air NZ, Norwegian and VIRG. For hotels i book direct, or through booking.com etc., google flights and other online checkers well worth the effort, if you put the time and effort in to Disney planning will save you a pretty penny.

We have a week booked away in the UK coming up. Self catering, near forests and the beach. The owner called to say she wasn’t going to take the final payment until she knew we could actually come and stay in the property.
She said all the precautions she was putting in place to let guests feel safe, including leaving the property empty for three days between guests. You can see this pattern on her website. We can also clean if we want.
I don’t expect any attraction to be open but we sit on the beach for a week and I can watch the little one. Sounds fantastic.
If it rains, boy are we screwed.

That mirrors my situation precisely . . . . . It may even be the same cottage 😉

Understandably the ice cream vendors & fish & chips will be reduced and gift shops will probably be mothballed. That being said I'd happily accept just using the self catering and going for walks on the beach & rock pooling with the kids. BBQ & a clod beer in the garden during the evening and a change of scenery would be most welcome.

Eurotunnel website crashed yesterday, too many people trying to book :oops:. Seems a lot of people are eager to leave the country.
Prices have almost doubled too :mad:.

Surely it's safer to travel abroad now than holidaying in the UK? Unless you're planning on going to Brazil, Mexico, Russia etc

Got a deposit paid and balance due on the 9th August for Mexico in late September. Outside of there flex terms at the mo so going to lose the deposit unless I pay the balance when due. My wife needs a visa for Mexico, but not going to bother.

We got flight vouchers after our Thailand flights were canned.

And to top it off. Still waiting Condor for a refund on flights from September 2019 which they have agreed to refund but not said when, so my bank wont touch them for a chargeback.

The sparkle has certainly gone dealing with travel companies and insurers who have a get out clause for most things.

We had two UK camping trips booked for this year. Both super nice sea view pitches that were hard to get. Won’t be going due to shared toilet facilities. Booked a log cabin in Wales instead. Nobody for miles around. Cannot wait!

If you do go camping in the near future, could that be described as Tentin Quarantino? (I'll get my coat)

Look at the date at the top. Its been around longer than the pandemic.

Couple of language jokes

"I before E except after C" disproved by scIEnce.

Why can't you run in a camp site? because you have to have ran because its past tents!

Scotland, near Gleneagles, in mid-August.

Was always the plan.

Red squirrels, cycling and rain - can’t wait.

Back
Top Bottom