What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who Fancies an Overseas Holiday ?

DRD

Registered
I am genuinely curious about this. Seen quite a lot of media recently where folk have been keen to book post lockdown holidays.

Is this how you feel?

Speaking personally, an overseas holiday is a very, very long way down my list:
  • We have had the hottest/ sunniest May for decades
  • A significant proportion of the population is working from home or furloughed. Millions have basically had two months at home doing very little work, if any
  • Massive economic problems lie ahead across the globe
  • Many families will suffer a decrease in income and quite probably tax increases too
  • Numerous firms already going bust, unemployment will likely sky rocket
  • Realistic chance that your travel company may go bust
  • Realistic chance your hotel may go bust
  • Realistic chance the airline will go bust
  • Realistic chance of quarantine type issues in the UK and or abroad
  • Can't think of many things worse than being on a Corona cruise ship
I just don't get why so many folk are talking about overseas holidays.

Interested to hear views as a lot of wisdom on this site

I am genuinely curious about this. Seen quite a lot of media recently where folk have been keen to book post lockdown holidays.

Is this how you feel?

Speaking personally, an overseas holiday is a very, very long way down my list:
  • We have had the hottest/ sunniest May for decades
  • A significant proportion of the population is working from home or furloughed. Millions have basically had two months at home doing very little work, if any
  • Massive economic problems lie ahead across the globe
  • Many families will suffer a decrease in income and quite probably tax increases too
  • Numerous firms already going bust, unemployment will likely sky rocket
  • Realistic chance that your travel company may go bust
  • Realistic chance your hotel may go bust
  • Realistic chance the airline will go bust
  • Realistic chance of quarantine type issues in the UK and or abroad
  • Can't think of many things worse than being on a Corona cruise ship
I just don't get why so many folk are talking about overseas holidays.

Interested to hear views as a lot of wisdom on this site

Don’t forget though....most people it turns out, are total dickheads.

We had two camping trips in the UK booked. We won’t be going.

We where going abroad this year ,but we postponed it for Next year very early on . May take a week off and have the odd day out to places , but that well all depend if everything has been lifted as there are very few people who actually do the social distancing and are completely full of self-importance .

This is one of the first years in over 30 years of travelling to Disney (east and west coast) USA, we will not be travelling. Paying every increasing amounts is hard enough, and all these checks at the airport, and the border, will pop up as an extra "covid-19" charge. it's already started in the USA restaurants, it might be 2-3 bucks here and there but it adds up. The hassle of all that is not worth it (for us), believe me you will start seeing either a price rise on pubs and eateries here, for all the safety precautions. The "experience" is not the same, i would rather not spoil the memories i have, making use of ALL the facilities, not having to twitch every time some one sneezes with a bit of hay fever, or is choking on a beef rib. I have put the money into finally realising my dream of a fully fitted out cabin/bar/arcade instead, landscaped the garden, and will enjoy my summer, flipping the flippers and drinking the cold beer from the Krupps Torp machine. Feel free to discuss........

There is talk of a renaissance of UK holidays, camping and all that. We have a vw camper van, so that means communal toilets and showers.

No interest. just wait it out. Bbq in the garden, netflix .......

Maybe someone can post some "postiives" as the first post was on the negative tip, thats not a critism of the poster BTW.

There is talk of a renaissance of UK holidays, camping and all that. We have a vw camper van, so that means communal toilets and showers.

No interest. just wait it out. Bbq in the garden, netflix .......
Glamping is an option, but again, just got to watch the insurance with whatever company you are booking it with.

I have yet to see this type of notice up in any theme parks in the UK, basically Disney are employing the "baseball rule", (you can google it) if you enter the premises it's at your own risk, to stop the claims
1591815447106.png

Was able to reschedule family holiday to Disney land Florida (supposed to be first 2 weeks of April)

Was around 17K for us all. Our first as kids are around 6 so can ride the rides. Managed to get it rescheduled for March next year - hopefully this will be under control by then.

Was able to reschedule family holiday to Disney land Florida (supposed to be first 2 weeks of April)

Was around 17K for us all. Our first as kids are around 6 so can ride the rides. Managed to get it rescheduled for March next year - hopefully this will be under control by then.
hope you know all dining plans are cancelled until sept 2021 (atm), no events are running, so character meals, no fireworks, no parades, if you want some good links to info let me know, happy to help, i am seasoned Disney planner/traveller.

Oh dear! I didn’t know that..
My insurance would not payout and so rather than loose 8K (my bit) we rescheduled..

Guess will wait until December(ish) to re-evaluate the situation.

Our week in Tenerife ens of April! still waiting on a refyund!

And had hoped for a cruise in September! No chance, maybe next year

I don’t fancy a holiday abroad at the mo but I would like to fly my son over from oz in December. Don’t know how likely that is to happen tho

My insurance would not payout and so rather than loose 8K (my bit) we rescheduled..

no insurance would not pay out....here is just one example of news from the mouse.... https://wdwnt.com/2020/05/confirmed...ugh-september-2021-official-details-released/ .......also no park hopping and if you have a hotel on site, thats no shoeing into entry into the park...i am not wanting to **** on anyones fire..as for some people this the trip of a lifetime...but if you are spending 7k-8k....please make sure you are happy going in with an ever changing situation, coz the kids will never forgive you if they can't meet their fave character, or go do their fave show.

Our week in Tenerife ens of April! still waiting on a refyund!

And had hoped for a cruise in September! No chance, maybe next year
Most cruises off until October, with reduced ports listed, lots of restrictions onboard as well as every port visited, different cruise lines having different rules so can't comment specifically.

My elderly mum booked holiday with Travel Agent for her + sister for April. Got cancelled due to Covid. Got offered Voucher to be used by end of June for another holiday - say this year or next.
I got involved on her behalf.
Told Travel Agent voucher not acceptable and want refund. Try to fob me off to Jet2 - I reminded them mums contract was with them and not the airline.
They were corresponding initially then clammed up with automated email responses to date.
ATOL + ABTA are useless unless companies go into liquidation so don’t get involved.
I initiated Section 75 via Barclaycard as 500 quid of the 2k was paid with credit card.
The bank put pressure on the vendor last week and my mum got full refund 👍
Needless to say won’t be using the same Travel Agent again.

My elderly mum booked holiday with Travel Agent for her + sister for April. Got cancelled due to Covid. Got offered Voucher to be used by end of June for another holiday - say this year or next.
Told Travel Agent voucher not acceptable and want refund. Try to fob me off to Jet2 - I reminded them mums contract was with them and not the airline.
They were corresponding initially then clammed up with automated email responses to date.
ATOL + ABTA are useless unless companies go into liquidation so don’t get involved.
I initiated Section 75 via Barclaycard as 500 quid of the 2k was paid with credit card.
excellent, you have to push these companies, would never accept a voucher, or rebook +25% bonus blah blah, always go for the money use a cc card and throw Section 75 at them.

sadly it won't be Dave, until there is a vaccine we are going to be in this **** uncertainty state. Florida this week is reporting a lot more cases (partly I suspect to more organised testing, partly because of the asshats on the beach). I'm supposed to goto Florida in October for Apollo XIII event that was canceled in April but I can't imagine it happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a week booked away in the UK coming up. Self catering, near forests and the beach. The owner called to say she wasn’t going to take the final payment until she knew we could actually come and stay in the property.
She said all the precautions she was putting in place to let guests feel safe, including leaving the property empty for three days between guests. You can see this pattern on her website. We can also clean if we want.
I don’t expect any attraction to be open but we sit on the beach for a week and I can watch the little one. Sounds fantastic.
If it rains, boy are we screwed.

and this is really key, we all must hold these companies to account.

I'm a huge customer of British Airways and they canceled 4 flights of mine including one for my wife, two I could cancel without any issue; the other two of them they came up with some ****ing nonsense around a voucher which I said no I want my money back. One came through in a month the other took almost three months to come through!!

South West Clowns^wTrains - wife has been waiting for a refund for her annual travel card for almost 4 months now.

they wouldn't refund you in total?!

Lots of people i know booked Disney this year via their favorite (Virgin - i have never been with them the the USA as they seem VERY overpriced to me!)... Not only have the decided to vacate Gatwick and now fly all flights out of Heathrow (screwing up overnight stays the night before), and alongside getting rid of their 747's (to be fair, about time!), they are REALLY dragging their heels over refunds... trying to pressure the usual rebook route and then charging £££ more to move to next year.. I certainly will never be flying with them again...

Ooh - several of us on here then :)

Just sent @Dave Bishop a message...

I just cancelled my 2021 holiday... rescheduling is out the window out for me as not happy with the restrictions and changes... No fast passes, No dining reservations, No parades, No Fireworks, No M&G's

Worst of all even stopping on resort doesn't guarantee entrance into the parks because of the capacity restrictions

I always book direct with Disney for my hotel and tickets, so my refund was processed and cash back in my bank in 3 days

I'm considering heading back over to Tokyo Disney Resort later in the year

Back
Top Bottom