What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whirlwind Rewrite - Update

Some update notes from the last 6 months or so updates

Also this new attract slide

Screenshot 2022-01-30 at 16.29.34.png

v0.2.12
Skyway - fixed a bug in the toll playfield lamp display fro toll lamps 1-4. Should only be one individually not cumulative. Thanks @Charlie
Chaser Multiball - improved lamp handling for when mode is not running, 2 toll lamp conflicts etc
Multiball - Improved the choeorgraphy for multiball start speech, here it comes etc
Multiball - Improved timing for a potential conflict of the AC relay use resulting in the knocker activating incorrect at cellar kickout
Attract - fixed an issue where a game could start when the service mode was running or coin door was open
System - Improved dmd fonts for multiplayer scores. Mask outlines are now used to better distinguish the fonts against the main animated background as per the single player font
Attract - Added Lyman tribute slide to attract display script :( RIP man, such a sad event x

v0.2.11
Trough - Updated ball launch logic to fix an issue that could up the balls in play count when the ball fell back in at eject. This could mess up multiball starts
Base - Improved the logic for autolaunch activation. Now will kick a ball in shooter lane if skillshot is not running and auto launcher installed setting is turned on
Base - Fixed a bug where the end of ball music would play when the first ball in qm drained instead of being quiet
Switched Coils - Added additional wait timings during switching ac relay to stop wrong side activations
Tilt - Improved mode, port from indy. Better graphics, sounds and speech
Tilt - Fixed bugs where tilt display would be stuck on display once activated
Attract - Changes to use skyway ramp up/down control
Multiball - Changes to use skyway ramp up/down control
Chaser Multiball - Changes to use skyway ramp up/down control
Quick Multiball - Changes to use skyway ramp up/down control
Moonlight Madness - Changes to use skyway ramp up/down control
Compass - Changes to use skyway ramp up/down control
Combos - Fixed a bug where multiple isolated inner loop switch activations could advance combo way multiplier
Pops - New animated graphics for low and high super jet progress and super jet collect

v0.2.10
Skyway - added settings for extra ball, 2 thresholds with a repeat of the difference between the 2 for the 3rd and there after
Skyway - fixed toll lamps for greater than 20 tolls collected
Skyway - moved ramp lifter logic to be under skyway control
High Score Entry - enabled flippers during entry so players can move letters with flipper buttons
Compass - Updated logic so multiball_ready flag is updated at the point of qualify instead of at the end of ball
Compass - Added extra ramp lift checking and error correction for first multiball in case ramp is put down by some other event incorrectly
Compass - fixed a problem which was lowering the ramp at ball start when 1st multiball was ready
Compass - fixed a bug that could allow the hardware lock diverter routine to be left active cross game
Compass - improvements to blower motor operation smoothness
Cellar - Updated logic for visits. will no longer award a cellar visit when multiball is ready as this can conflict with awarding a qm where there aren’t enough balls available.
Chaser Multiball - Updated ramp control logic to be multiball aware as it was conflicting with multiball ready logic
Ramp - million award will now lift ramp
Multiball - left cellar shot shot will now raise ramp for a timed period during multiball
Quick Multiball - improved lamp handling during multiball and when ready
Quick Multiball - stopped million shot from timing out
Quick Multiball - more work to improve saucer ball eject when multiball started and running
Multiball - improvements to blower motor operation smoothness

v0.2.9
Tilt - updated logic so its only possible when a game is in progress
Bonus - fixed a bug in the count speedup routine
Quick multiball - improvements to the saucer eject handling. Now using the skyway methods
Cellar - updated the light cellar setting logic for always on and start on. Start on is now ball start ,not game start. Always on will relight the lamp automatically after an award is given.

v0.2.8
Compass - updates to blower motor control to address noisy operation
Skyway - check of ball eject success from saucer. logs error if ball not ejected in 10 tries
Bonus - is now aware of the score and will speed up according to value being calculated so as to fit in with the sound better
Attract - speeded up the attract lamp patterns
Multiball - fixed a bug where the blower and fans would not be restarted if multiball was ready at ball start

I had that from PPS when the whole decals thing was kicking off. Asked them to provide proof that they own the copyright..... nothing ever heard again....

I didnt think it was illegal to "cause confusion"? Isnt like you are selling it currently...

Anyhow, Pinside isnt a legal form of notification.

They are almost certainly making a Whirlwind 2.0 Kit just like the FunHouse one they recently released and probably see this project as competition.
Can you rename your game to another name? that's the only bit they can argue is infringing on IP.
Funhouse is WPC hardware, whirlwind is System11. Totally different hardware, and partly why i made my own hardware that took 3 years to develop

I seriously doubt they have anything that will run new code on system 11 games, so i will be mentioning that when i talk to PPS later...

I wonder if PinballSP had a similar PM with his HoloMod.
Wonder if FAST have a system 11 replacement board as well? I assumed they would go back and make kits for the system 11 games as well seeing as FunHouse has been quite popular.

They are almost certainly making a Whirlwind 2.0 Kit just like the FunHouse one they recently released and probably see this project as competition.
Can you rename your game to another name? that's the only bit they can argue is infringing on IP.
Honestly, its hard enough trying to run a pinball business without all this extra drama and waste of time..

Last edited:
PPS is the exclusive licensee of Scientific Games, Inc Pinball IP for Games, Parts, and Mdse. This includes Trademarks and Copyrights. Scientific Games is the owner of WMS. Despite all that is said, these are the facts. If you do not have the rights to use someone elses copyright artwork or trademarks. A license does not have to 'prove' anything - the burden is on the infringer to prove that somehow they picked up the right to copy someone elses IP.

That being said, we work with dozens of suppliers to create new product and continue to expand those legitimate suppliers who want to work within the licensing framework that was set by WMS years ago ...

@Planetary Pinball. Hopefully you can have a sensible conversation with Mypinballs to find middle ground.
Jim is an extremely clever guy who could bring so much to this hobby. Well actually he already does. He is an asset to anyone. Hopefully you can already see this.
It’s tricky to convey your emotions and intentions over email. Hopefully you can pick up the old dog and bone and have good old fashioned chat about it. Probably save days in emails and whole lot of hassle.
Here’s hoping.

PPS is the exclusive licensee of Scientific Games, Inc Pinball IP for Games, Parts, and Mdse. This includes Trademarks and Copyrights. Scientific Games is the owner of WMS. Despite all that is said, these are the facts. If you do not have the rights to use someone elses copyright artwork or trademarks. A license does not have to 'prove' anything - the burden is on the infringer to prove that somehow they picked up the right to copy someone elses IP.

That being said, we work with dozens of suppliers to create new product and continue to expand those legitimate suppliers who want to work within the licensing framework that was set by WMS years ago ...
The burden is surely on the Licensor to make available what patents they actually either own or represent. Whilst PPS has always said that they hold (or defend) these rights, I have yet to see what patents PPS support here in the UK (Arent Patents Terratorial?)

Please could you point me and the rest of the members of this forum to the patents and copyrights you hold that are applicable in the UK, so we can be clear as to what we can and cant do. Otherwise it's a little difficult for people to be able to stay on the right side of the law.

Whilst i am not disputing what you say, and it is important that patents are withheld for the good of us all, I look forward to understanding the terms of the licence you hold and a link to the property that you support so those people who support pinball in the UK are clear as to the boundaries they need to stay within.

Many thanks.

Thanks for the reply Rick. I appreciate the response. I have always run my business with integrity and am always happy to follow whatever the licensing framework is for any protected trademarks and copyrighted items, not just old WMS stuff. It would be useful if there was more information on what exactly is copyrighted and protected specifically for 'Whirlwind' in the context of the Wlliams 1989 pinball game and how best to avoid any consumer 'confusion'. I really do not want to cause unnecessary problems or headaches for anyone, myself included, as running a business in 2022 is hard enough as i'm sure you know. If a licence for using the Whirlwind trademark/copyright material is possible for a game rewrite, then please do let me know how i can acquire this.

A couple of things to point out in the aim of transparency.

1) My hardware board is 100% original using my own electronic designs & firmware.
2) The game code is 100% original and uses 0% of the original Williams 6809 code base ('rom code')
3) There is no way with my hardware to run the original Williams Whirlwind game or any other original 'rom code'
4) The game is a DMD game not an alphanumeric game and uses newly created graphic frames, all redrawn and coloured by myself. No raw WMS DMD assets are in use
5) The speaker panel plastic artwork created to use with our dmd panels contains no williams logos and only standard wording. All art is original.

As the system runs on owners own Whirlwind games there was a re-creation of the whirlwind & williams logo present in dmd form for 1 slide each on the attract mode, which i have since removed whilst we discuss things, in compliance with information received and as a show of good faith. I have created a new original logo and game name for this product instead , 'Storm Blasters' which i will share below. (UKCS Registration Number: 284745765)

Let me say again that i do wish to discuss what options are available and the costs involved for being able to use the copyrighted/trademarked Whirlwind game items within this new game software.

EFB03537-CA56-4F47-B631-E6541F354EA7.jpegD4E13F52-841F-4374-8897-74515BC26BD8.jpeg

Last edited:
First new Animation by my new artist contractor. All original work and commercially owned by me. This animated sprite is based off/inspired by the 'famous' cow scene in the twister film!! ha ha It makes me laugh every time i see it. And we all know how much cows are a part of pinball games!! icon_smile.gif This will be added to the game shortly!

tornado cow5.gif

First new Animation by my new artist contractor. All original work and commercially owned by me. This animated sprite is based off/inspired by the 'famous' cow scene in the twister film!! ha ha It makes me laugh every time i see it. And we all know how much cows are a part of pinball games!! icon_smile.gif This will be added to the game shortly!

View attachment 176774
This with some mooing audio will be s as amazing. Reminds me of the BBH match animations where the cow **** gets shot lol

Back
Top Bottom