Whirlwind Rewrite - Update

myPinballs

Site Supporter
Nov 19, 2011
Pudsey UK
mypinballs.com
Alias
Jim
Getting back to this project as i have finally found myself a game to continue the journey on. For those not in the know i worked on a software rewrite of this game a few years back, took it to a few shows along with indy, but had to sell the game i had due to some unforeseen circumstances. Anyway, now we are back on the road!! :)

The pinside thread about it is here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-software-rewrite-the-journey

And, there's something new in the works to add to the project, which may be of interest to whirlwind fans. @Spandangler

IMG_5872.JPG

PBrookfield

Resident Uneconomical Repair Representative
Mar 23, 2017
Wolverhampton, UK
Alias
Paul
In the far (far) future I plan on doing something similar with F-14 Tomcat. Like you've said in the pinside thread, adding an auto-launcher is a big thing to begin with for a lot of games that didn't have one, but I have a couple of extremely wacky and possibly fun ideas for how an auto-launch on F-14 would open up some very interesting options with the ball locks.

It's a very flat playfield with not many 'standard' ways to rewrite what's on the playfield, but I think it would be fun to have, say, a very stressing 'mode' where you have to hit a specific flashing target on hurry up, otherwise your ball drains a la Operation Thunder - but any pre-loaded ball locks would give you 'extra lives' for that mode and you could refill them during gameplay in modes if there was an auto-launch. I think you could even make the game a working seven-ball machine without any playfield hardware changes (beyond autolauncher addition) if the game went for a strategy of keeping all of the locks loaded at all times. A seven-ball multiball on F-14 would be nothing but a total gimmick, but it would be pretty damned funny. They could just be replacement balls for multiballs, but that's boring and practical.

A bit of wild creativity goes a long way even for a 'simple' playfield. Of course, whether the ideas are fun or not, is why you playtest...!

Sorry for the irrelevant ramble. I always get fired up by projects like this...

Reactions: Sgt GrizZ
OP
myPinballs

myPinballs

Site Supporter
Nov 19, 2011
Pudsey UK
mypinballs.com
Alias
Jim
Some update pics on the prototype boards assembly. My first lot of proto boards arrived a few weeks back. Am hoping that testing of the boards hardware and the updated controller firmware can begin soon. Some improvements included on this board for audio grounds and separation from digital to audio grounds are being rolled into the indy controller boards to as they are based around the same design theory.

IMG_6175.JPGIMG_6283.JPGIMG_6293.JPG