What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whirlwind flasher help

Spandangler

Site Supporter
10 Years
Hi group
I have 2 flashers which aren't working. They are right ramp middle and million insert.

They are linked together in a circuit.

One thing which confused me straight off, is the wire is black and yellow. Yet at the board where the trail begins at 5J5-4 it's white and green!!
Anyway.

I have continuity between the 2 flashers.
Continuity between both flashers and J5-4 on the aux power board.
Continuity between J5-4 and J1-4 on the aux power board.
Continuity between J1-4 on the aux power board and J11-6 on the cpu board.

(So in a long convoluted way I have continuity between both flashers and J11-6!!)

The next component in the way is Q31 (TIP22).
I have heard of these failing before. Is there anyway of testing continuity on these? Or checking them?
Is this likely to be the culprit?
Any other ideas?

Now although from what I've written it may appear I have a tiny clue what I'm on about..... I haven't. I'm frickin useless at this stuff and it's taken me all night to establish this and work my way through the schematics!!

So any answers, although very much appreciated, must be pitched at a child's level!!

Thanks in advance.

Gaz
@lukewells @myPinballs :wave:

Well if it is, that works fine. Also have continuity on the ground wire between both flashers and the connection on the interconnect board at J5-9!

That's where my expertise runs out Dave. I don't know how to take readings, both in terms of working the multimeter then where to put the probes :eek:

Here's a pic. It was just a cheapie from maplin

image.jpg

Exactly :( Maybe I'll give you a bell on Monday when I'm infront if the machine

I know Grizz but I want it tickety-boo for ya! So....erm....what would you do

Dude that multimeter is a POS. I tried about 3 crappy ones like that for a fiver each before binning them and getting a decent thing that I can actually trust.

Ooooooooh you cut to the core Bradford. Cut to the core;)

Yep I think it's time for a splash out. Seeing as I'm now an electronics guru :wave:

Oh and Gaz, have these flashers ever worked? Have you tried swapping the bulbs for correctly rated ones..? :cool:

Thanks peter. Yes they have worked. I've tried bulbs from the other working flashers and vice versa.

The 2 flashers which aren't working are 4C I think off the top of my head (could be 5C) the top eject is fine though.

Back
Top Bottom