What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Whirlwhind - Re Decal

Thanks matey, I did struggle with these cans tbh, I find it easier to get a nice finish with SImoniz or Plastikote.

I hate rattle cans I am lucky enough to have a compressor and paint gun makes life much easier but not worth going to the effort of buying if you only do the odd cab
The metal type leg protectors are a must and you need to cut the decal back about 2mm round it to stop any wrinkles in the future I would also buy new legs as even a small kink in the legs and the leg will sit on the cab and not the protector

Yeah I think If I was to do it again, I may look into renting a decent sized compressor, have a small one but its only useful for pumping tires and that sort of thing, did try painting with it once, but that was a very noisy and slow process, good point about the legs, they are new ones, but will double check they aren't rubbing on the decals anywhere, as they have been kicking around the garage for months waiting for me to get round to fitting them.

I hate rattle cans I am lucky enough to have a compressor and paint gun makes life much easier but not worth going to the effort of buying if you only do the odd cab
The metal type leg protectors are a must and you need to cut the decal back about 2mm round it to stop any wrinkles in the future I would also buy new legs as even a small kink in the legs and the leg will sit on the cab and not the protector

I've had this exact problem using protectors and even with new legs they still touched the side of the cab. I've lightly blasted the wrinkles with a heat gun and smoothed out a few times but wish I'd cut around like you mention.

Any advice what to do with the coin door? Same issue there.

I don’t know what decals you used but the cheeper ones tend to wrinkle much easier one trick to note is not to over tighten stuff and leave the cab a week or so before the building
It doesn’t take much for the legs to tough the cab just by dragging it across the floor can mark it

I used these:
https://pu-parts.com/hidden-cabinet-leg-protectors-set-of-4
Which are thicker than the metal ones and spaced the leg edges off the cabinet.
View attachment 105062
They are not new legs but some are better than others.

They might be better than the metal ones i found the metal ones I got weren't flush.

@CHRIS B PINBALLS the decals in question were from Planetary defo weren't cheap but in all honestly had a lot of issues with them. Could certainly be down to my lack of experience with applying though, it aint easy.

I think I had seen a post where Chris had sugested cutting a few mm clear of the protector I put the protector on traced around it and then cut a couple of mm bigger than that. Hopefully that should help. The legs arent touching anywhere but there isnt as much clearance as the one above.

It's looking tip top anyway mate absolutely cracking job and enjoying seeing it all come together

Well its been a busy couple of days putting things back together and figuring out just where the hell that plug goes, but pleased to say its all finished and in its new position, had some minor adjustments to make as the fan was catching on the mounting bracket, and the plunger was in completely the wrong position, but luckily it fired straight up without any missing lights or worrying burning smells, while I was messing about play testing I even managed to get the three shot combo, why oh why does that never happen when Im having a proper game.

I do have one question regarding the lockdown bar, something I hadn't even considered, but it seems to be rubbing quite badly on the front of the cab, its started to dig into the decal in 2 spots already :eek: so far I have "adjusted" it a bit with a hammer, in the 2 spots where it was tapered in the most and applied some of that self adhesive draught stopping foam to the back, but its not very heavy duty and don't think it will last long term, so any ideas on how I can stop it rubbing would be welcome.

You can see here where its started to dig into the decal......

20200410_175054.jpg

Other than that though its all good, so heres some finished pics....

20200410_175019.jpg

20200410_174926.jpg

20200410_173159.jpg

20200410_173114.jpg

20200410_173213.jpg
20200410_173122.jpg

Super slick well done looks fantastic👍🏻

That lockdown bar looks more bent than it should be (although photo could be deceiving) is it the same both sides?

Super slick well done looks fantastic👍🏻

That lockdown bar looks more bent than it should be (although photo could be deceiving) is it the same both sides?

Yeah about its about the same, seems like an odd design to me?

It should bend in about halfway down. Is it digging into the decals? Just checked some of mine and you should have a mil or so gap. You could possibly adjust your lockdown receiver to compensate.

yeah it was digging into the decals quite badly, its marked them a bit, the foam is bringing it out a mill or so now, but if it wasn't there it would touch im sure, can try moving the lockdown receiver, im not sure higher or lower would be better?

It should bend in about halfway down. Is it digging into the decals? Just checked some of mine and you should have a mil or so gap. You could possibly adjust your lockdown receiver to compensate.

Just been to have a look and adjusted the brass screws, that seems to have done the trick, I did remove them when I cleaned up the receiver, but didn't really know what they did sos ort of guessed when I put them back, there's a bit of clearance now, will remember next time, ask on the forum before twatting stuff with hammers :D

The proper Bally/ Williams titles of the 70s/ 80s/ 90s were very well engineered and things can usually be made to work properly with minor, gentle, adjustments. I always think twice before employing more brutal tactics

your right there, now its adjusted properly it fits fine, so 100% user error, luckily Stumblor had the answer, before the big hammer came out 🤣
Thanks guys!

Hi Kev, your re-decal looks great, thank you for posting the details here.
You've inspired me to seriously think about having a go at mine, which has very ropey artwork where someone has previously tried to touch it up and it doesn't look good!

May I ask where you bought the decals, I've seen Planetary mentioned but can't see Whirlwind on there, and you also said you bought a second set too, presumably elsewhere? I've seen these here: https://pinballdecals.eu/shop/whirlwind-pinball-cabinet-decals-set/

Cheers,
Ben

You've inspired me to seriously think about having a go at mine, which has very ropey artwork where someone has previously tried to touch it up and it doesn't look good!

May I ask where you bought the decals, I've seen Planetary mentioned but can't see Whirlwind on there, and you also said you bought a second set too, presumably elsewhere? I've seen these here: https://pinballdecals.eu/shop/whirlwind-pinball-cabinet-decals-set/

Cheers,
Ben
@PeteB

Cheers,
Ben

Hi Matey, thanks very much, yeah the set I ended up using were from Planetary, but like you I cant find them on the site anymore, been through my emails and the invoice came from them, I brought them in early march, so not that long ago.

The first set I ordered were from Ministry, and decided not to use them for a couple of reasons, mainly due to the blue being slightly lighter more greyish in colour, which isn't so much of a problem, its probably closer to the blue most cabs are now after years of fading, but I had already brought the paint cans going from a thread on pinside, so would have needed to get some colour matched paint from b&q, and then buy/rent a compressor as I'm useless with a brush or roller, so I really wanted to stick with spray cans.
There was also some minor colour banding on the large single colour areas, not terrible, but definitely there. If I hadn't already brought the paint I would have probably used them.

Its really hard to find detailed up close pictures of repro decals online, which is annoying, most places just have tiny thumbnail images and judging the quality is impossible, its also worth noting that the Planetary decals have a couple of errors too, the circle around the W on the sides of the head are solid black rather than being 2 separate rings, and the cloud image on the right hand side is an inch or so higher than on the left.

If you like I can try and get some pictures of the Ministry decals along side the Planetary ones on the cab.

Yes I know what you mean about decal quality, when I restored my topper (15 years ago!) I bought some repro decals from Marco and they were absolute crap - really pixellated like they had been blown up from a tiny image. I could never bring myself to install them so the topper is currently blank.
If it's not too much trouble and you can take a pic of them side by side it would be good to see the comparison. It does look like Planetary are no longer supplying them anymore.
The pinballdecals.eu ones are decently priced at 199 Euro including delivery but as you say, it's hard to know what the actual quality of these things are like until seen in the flesh.

Yes I know what you mean about decal quality, when I restored my topper (15 years ago!) I bought some repro decals from Marco and they were absolute crap - really pixellated like they had been blown up from a tiny image. I could never bring myself to install them so the topper is currently blank.
If it's not too much trouble and you can take a pic of them side by side it would be good to see the comparison. It does look like Planetary are no longer supplying them anymore.
The pinballdecals.eu ones are decently priced at 199 Euro including delivery but as you say, it's hard to know what the actual quality of these things are like until seen in the flesh.

PeteB from retro refurbs has recommended pinballdecals.eu to me in the past. I ordered my creech decals from Planetary in the end (mainly due to them being screened so the green would be accurate) but I'll be buying from pinballdecals.eu next time

its also worth noting that the Planetary decals have a couple of errors too, the circle around the W on the sides of the head are solid black rather than being 2 separate rings, and the cloud image on the right hand side is an inch or so higher than on the left.

This is exactly the reason why I started making my own decals years ago, and despite what the mouth breathers on here and Pinside would say, the supposedly "official" decals are full of errors and colour inaccuracies. Errors on the art being the most important I think.

Regardless of that, no criticism here of your restoration. The game looks fantastic, great job!

PeteB from retro refurbs has recommended pinballdecals.eu to me in the past. I ordered my creech decals from Planetary in the end (mainly due to them being screened so the green would be accurate) but I'll be buying from pinballdecals.eu next time

Yeah, I don't sell Bally Williams stuff so people need to redirect their decal enquiries. I do not recommend Ministry because they advertise official nextgen stuff but its actually all copied rubbish they print themselves, and Pinball Center quality is just atrocious. Go with Pinball Decals.eu or Planetary.

From what I have seen of your decals @PeteB they were the nicest available, had you still been doing them I would have ordered from you with no hesitation.

Interestingly, I just took some photos of both decals side by side, and both the ministry and planetary decals have the cloud higher on the right hand side, so I think they are using the same art file as planetary, but they definitely aren't printed by planetary, I'm not trying to knock Ministry or anything, had I used them it still would have looked 100% better than before, but these things aren't cheap and with everyone claiming to have the best process, its hard to know20200525_145043.jpg20200525_145125.jpg20200525_145716.jpg20200525_145557.jpg20200525_145615.jpg.

Back
Top Bottom