What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which tumbler

I put as little as possible through mine now after doing some tests on corroded parts and then trying to re-passivate them (put back the yellow protection layer, which only sticks to zinc plating). Anything that’s been properly polished to the point there’s no corrosion has lost a lot of its plating, which is visible by the areas where the yellow doesn’t stick. (See the half-plated bit hiding behind the two coil stops?)

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20171221_ebeb00ed254040930d8c87b44142e838.jpg

If a part will be visible on the play field and/or is badly corroded, it goes in the tumbler.

Otherwise I clean everything in isopropyl alcohol. The polishing action strips off the electroplating which is there to protect the metal parts, (and removes the colour coding on screws etc). Anything with a passivate (yellow/green/blue/red/orange) or dull matt grey (un-passivated) finish is best cleaned by hand using foaming photocopier cleaner or isopropyl alcohol IMO.

I don’t have any long term experience of owning a machine that’s had unprotected polished parts put back in it, but if you’re keeping it anywhere with moisture like a garage I’d avoid just throwing anything metal in the tumbler. Interested in others experience here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On average, how long do things take to clean up in a vibratory tumbler please? Is it measured in hours, or days?
Also - could you tumble things with a screw thread, or will the thread be stripped off?

On average, how long do things take to clean up in a vibratory tumbler please? Is it measured in hours, or days?
Also - could you tumble things with a screw thread, or will the thread be stripped off?

I leave them in for a few days :thumbs: screw threads are fine, it's not that harsh a process :)

yeah me too a couple of days in the tumbler with a bit of autosol chucked in

I used crushed walnut shells.... Add a few big dolups of Novus2 and also a few squeezes of autosol and leave for 24 hours... :)
(with a microfibre cloth over the top to stop the dust!)

I used crushed walnut shells.... Add a few big dolups of Novus2 and also a few squeezes of autosol and leave for 24 hours... :)
(with a microfibre cloth over the top to stop the dust!)
Thanks Paul, got the crushed walnut shells, and have some Novus...... Looks like autosol next on the purchase list. Thanks everyone for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom