What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where have all the 90's pins gone?

Really? Wow.

No not true at all! LOL Dave had a bad experience with a Dialed in (that I now own and I’ve also had a bad experience with it but I’ve now tamed it (i hope) and it works ok) that was a one off. Yes there have been stupid things happen with playfields but for the most part they have been taken care of.

To give an opposite view; by a country mile my modern games are more reliable than my older games. My WPC/CGC remakes MMR, AFMR, MBR are super reliable - my MBR works and play better hugely than my old original MB. Probably jinxed myself now.

Cheers,
Neil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For balance my MMR is probably the machine that’s needed the most attention in the last couple of years. All machines go wrong. Mostly it’s repairable. My worst ever was a RFM which had the dreaded prism card problems. Took ages to find a replacement Don’t think I’ve had any issues with DI so far.

No not true at all! LOL Dave had a bad experience with a Dialed in (that I now own and I’ve also had a bad experience with it but I’ve now tamed it (i hope) and it works ok) that was a one off. Yes there have been stupid things happen with playfields but for the most part they have been taken care of.

To give an opposite view; by a country mile my modern games are more reliable than my older games. My WPC/CGC remakes MMR, AFMR, MBR are super reliable - my MBR works and play better hugely than my old original MB. Probably jinxed myself now.

Cheers,
Neil.

Not sure I agree on reliability due to being a new model.
The only problems Ive had with any WPC pins has been previous owners repairs or neglect.
Once repaired they have been faultless.
I can see your new models in 30 years time being unrepairable but the WPC still going strong.

Not sure I agree on reliability due to being a new model.
The only problems Ive had with any WPC pins has been previous owners repairs or neglect.
Once repaired they have been faultless.
I can see your new models in 30 years time being unrepairable but the WPC still going strong.

You don’t have to agree with it - but sadly it’s a fact! I have someone who services my games every month and I don’t penny pinch, come down and see! At the club we have a tech also who services our games. Worst offenders are 90s games I’d say.

I also doubt the non-repairability - should there be an issue with boards I predict someone will create alternatives as there are so many spike machines out in the wild.

JJP, Spooky, CGC all use CPU boards that are generic x86 hardware and whilst some of them have specific boards for lights etc none of them are that complex. Some of the CGC boards are monsters though but I think are very well made.

I have bought extremely tired examples of games like Fathom, Scared Stiff and Funhouse and given them thorough overhauls.

Post these overhauls, none have ever gone wrong - save the odd bulb.

My TAF was a refurbished game bought from the proper Pinball Paradise in about 1998, since then these problems - rubbers, bulbs, snapped link on the vault mech and one fuse.

My NIB DI was a miserable tale. I don't know whether folk remember but these games came with wet clear coat, cheapo cliffys that were not flat on the pf, greasy mechs that stuck crap to the balls, cheapo balls that scratched the playfields, trap door mech (same idea as Funhouse) that stood 2mm proud of the PF, rubbish cheapo foam used on beer strip and standup targets, my auto shooter mech interfered with the skill shot .......

I bought a Fish Tales from a bereavement sale. It had not been played for many, many years as it was on a first floor and its owner needed a stannah stair lift, then a wheelchair. It was so tired that the belt on the reel motor had just perished and snapped. This required less messing about than my DI.

For Sale activity since the start of Jan. Some listed in Dec but obvs still for sale: -

Still 4 pages to go. I'm bored of it now. The market has been very active.

Thanks for doing some work there, but I'm gonna break that down in to categories:

70's Pins
  • Travel Time
  • Sharpshooter (unsure which year/version this was)

80's Pins:
  • Flasg
  • Swords of Fury
  • Xenon

90's DMD's:
  • JP
  • NGG
  • WW
  • BOP
  • JY
  • ID4
  • RFM
  • TOTAN
  • TAF
  • Popeye
  • DESW
  • Flintstones

00's Stern:
  • MET
  • POTC
  • IM
  • Sopranos
  • Family Guy
  • SM

Crap Overpriced LCD Turds:
  • WOZ
  • Dead Pool
  • TNA
  • HOB
  • Hobbit
  • GB
  • Houdini
  • DI
  • Houdini
  • HOB or WOZ
Subtract the words "crap" and "turd" for anything JJP because they do make really good games. But point being this is still new stuff with a high price tag.

Ok, so maybe I should have named this topc "Where are all the 80's and 90's pins" because to be quite honest, that's extremely slim pickings for 6 weeks worth of listings. Only 2 Data East games up there. It's definitely a sellers market when there's more people buying than what's on offer.

I've just had to import Avatar, Johnny Mnemonic and Time Machine from Europe becuase there's bugger all available in this country.

Would like to point out that from my experience the Stern LCD games are extremely reliable and it’s nonsense they are more trouble than old DMD games with daily use.

We’ve only had one node board issue (with GB) which was after 3 years of heavy play and being switched on 7 days a week 10 hrs a day.
The only issues I’ve experienced with new Sterns is the odd flakey VUK switch and the coil stops but obvs easy and cheap as chips to swap out

Last edited:
I’m sure all the folks with 70/80’s games from Bally and Stern though the same when the DMD and alphanumerical started to turn up! Or even the EM crazies! :D

I’ve been working on compute stuff since 1978 and all I can tell you is that compute has got super more reliable over every generation.

Thanks for doing some work there, but I'm gonna break that down in to categories:

70's Pins
  • Travel Time
  • Sharpshooter (unsure which year/version this was)

80's Pins:
  • Flasg
  • Swords of Fury
  • Xenon

90's DMD's:
  • JP
  • NGG
  • WW
  • BOP
  • JY
  • ID4
  • RFM
  • TOTAN
  • TAF
  • Popeye
  • DESW
  • Flintstones

00's Stern:
  • MET
  • POTC
  • IM
  • Sopranos
  • Family Guy
  • SM

Crap Overpriced LCD Turds:
  • WOZ
  • Dead Pool
  • TNA
  • HOB
  • Hobbit
  • GB
  • Houdini
  • DI
  • Houdini
  • HOB or WOZ
Subtract the words "crap" and "turd" for anything JJP because they do make really good games. But point being this is still new stuff with a high price tag.

Ok, so maybe I should have named this topc "Where are all the 80's and 90's pins" because to be quite honest, that's extremely slim pickings for 6 weeks worth of listings. Only 2 Data East games up there. It's definitely a sellers market when there's more people buying than what's on offer.

I've just had to import Avatar, Johnny Mnemonic and Time Machine from Europe becuase there's bugger all available in this country.

I think all of those titles have been for sale on here the last 2 months

So - you have a go at the “LCD turds” then tell us you have “imported” the chief lord grand king nagus of all turds -> a freaking avatar!!! When just about every week someone is trying to dump one! I don’t even think the grizzler likes that game!

Seems to be plenty of stuff around in my opinion, its just january most people are skint after Christmas so generally not a good time to sell on.

I know of BM66, TAF, Flintstones and Family Guy that I could put my hands on pretty quick.

There'll be a feeding frenzy when the next sub £1500 WPC pops up on here. 😬🦈

There’s one on now and has been for a couple of days now. Corvette.
I’m surprised it hasn’t gone TBH

Why did you have to show me that? 😂😂

That's Martin who's coming to my house on Friday.

Stay disciplined
Stay disciplined
Stay disciplined

Thou shall not purchase another pin until after holiday.

Back
Top Bottom