What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where have all the 90's pins gone?

PeteB

Registered
Alias
Random Username
What strange times we live in. I recall over summer and autumn last year that the market seemed extremely slow for people buying pins. Slower than most years I can remember. Seemed like there was lots of stuff up for sale and just no one wanted to buy it unless it priced too good to turn down.

Has anyone else noticed the opposite now? I mean, where have all the pins gone?

There's literally bugger all for sale at the moment. Not much on the forums, not much on Gumtree, nothing on Facebook, and even eBay all I'm seeing is either high priced new stuff or junk going up at £2,000+

I’ve sold 5 games in the last few weeks with only one of them being over £1K so it seems ok from my perspective although I appreciate they’re not your usual run of the mill games [emoji16]

There was a splurge of high end titles about a month ago ...I think at one point there were about 8 x 5K+ titles up ...and you could smell the price dropping panic :p But those tend to just merry-go-round amongst the same dozen owners :D

Certainly not been that many 90s DMD titles around lately.

And where are all the Sys 11 titles these days ??

I felt that nothing at the top end was shifting a while back and I think we are seeing a trickle down effect. If less people buy the top end games there’s less incentive for other people to sell cheaper games to raise funds or make room.

Yeah, System 11's where the hell are you? There's none!

There's very few 90's Bally Williams, no Data East's. Seen a couple of old Gottliebs but nothing 90's.

I think there's a plenty hungry market for the mid range and low price stuff, but none of it is making an appearance.

There was a splurge of high end titles about a month ago ...I think at one point there were about 8 x 5K+ titles up ...and you could smell the price dropping panic :p But those tend to just merry-go-round amongst the same dozen owners :D

Certainly not been that many 90s DMD titles around lately.

And where are all the Sys 11 titles these days ??

Taxi might be up soon, but just to mess with your stats, at £6k (Joke)

Yeah, System 11's where the hell are you? There's none!

There's very few 90's Bally Williams, no Data East's. Seen a couple of old Gottliebs but nothing 90's.

I think there's a plenty hungry market for the mid range and low price stuff, but none of it is making an appearance.

We are all making deals behind forum doors and PM's.

I joke. Again. I don't get any hot offers prior to the forum, this is where all my buying and selling is done.

Good things come to those who wait, some people don’t want the latest, brightest, noisiest and deepest rule set pin that pools around the posts with the dreaded node boards.
As much as I’ve wanted the newer stuff I’ve just held off and happy with the classics for now.
Waiting myself for something classic to turn up, guessing this is what’s happening.

Sounds like ******** to me.

Advertised and sold my GB for £6K
Advertised BoP for 3K went for £2900

I know of two other GBs that went for advertised prices!

Keep awake and move quick!

Neil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve sold a few under 2K over the past 12 months and the last HS2 went for £1500 on here within 5 mins of listing.
However that said it was the 3rd PM that took it after the first 2 interested never materialised with a deposit to hold It.
I’ve seen a few WPC games around 1.5k these past couple of month inc the corvette on here now so there’s still affordable stuff to had if you have the money ready and waiting.

I think the people owning the 1k and under pins are just happy to keep them nowadays.
People are all about the 5k games now

Reminds me - i need to go through and mark all those Sold that have been :D

I'll set aside a few weeks for that :rofl:

Look through the first 2 pages of the Machines For Sale forum. There's a JD for sale, and tonight a Corvette just appeared. WOW! Everything else is the same old copy & paste crap from Stern no one wants, and other stuff at £5k+, even the topics marked as sold.

Just because you sold something 3 months ago doesn't mean its a buyers market. As of right now, Sys 11 and 90's pins from B/W, DE, Sega, Premier are all pretty scarce as GrizZ pointed out.

I need to put a couple up but don't want to let go of any. I've bought 3 in the last few weeks and haven't been looking for any. 2 in the couple of months before that.

Mods - can we change the title to:

“Where are all the ****e pins that PeteB can afford and that the grizzler likes?”.

For Sale activity since the start of Jan. Some listed in Dec but obvs still for sale: -

WOZ
JP
NGG
Dead Pool
TNA
Hobbit
MET
ID4
WW, HOB or WOZ
BOP
GB
HOB
JY
RFM
SM
Travel Time
Houdini
Swords of Fury, Flasg, Xenon, Sharpshooter
DESW
Flintstones
POTC
IM
DI
Sopranos
TOTAN
TAF
Popeye
Family Guy
Houdini

Still 4 pages to go. I'm bored of it now. The market has been very active.

I feel like it's been the exact opposite! Maybe I'm not paying enough attention. Admittedly right now it's slim pickings for sub 2k type stuff but I swear there's been a fair bit this year.

Mostly newer sterns and Jersey Jacks I’ve noticed with some not selling, hardly any system 11’s and a few WPC’s.
Im surprised at what hasn’t sold recently. Looks like a buyers market at the moment if it’s not priced low.

Where have all the pins gone?

Into bigger and less accessible games rooms, owned by increasingly richer collectors.

Is that true? We have 60 games in flip out, a load in the circus, tilt, Matt and Phil and others on sittes; locations opening like arcade club and others... then many of us with collections still hosting leagues and comps...

Is that true? We have 60 games in flip out, a load in the circus, tilt, Matt and Phil and others on sittes; locations opening like arcade club and others... then many of us with collections still hosting leagues and comps...
But none of them for sale, which was Pete's point. Well, the shiny NIB's from Phil are, via the Tilt showroom, but again that's not Pete's point.

I commend your garden shed and Croydon site for being very accessible (shame i live up North really, although i used to live in Horley in 2009 & Croydon around 2011 and DEAR GOD did it hate every minute of it!) so there are some exceptions like you say.

Bigger houses, with more room for games and less need to sell on. Not all are open, or advertised. Limited stock of games being bought up, either for private or public display, less sold.

Dare i ask how much you've spent on games this year? i expect it'll be more than most of our salaries, even before tax! I'm not saying you don't deserve it (my broadband is awesome!), just highlighting the imbalance - which is true of many hobbies.

I'm probably wrong, but that's how i feel!

A gross oversimplification I know, but I think the market is polarising because of the TV backbox games.

Broadly, there are two types of buyers right now:

1. The TV backbox Jersey Jack, Stern Premium/ LE buyers who aren't put off by build quality concerns - the risks of iffy clearcoat, cost of replacement boards, node board issues etc etc

2. The old schoolers who don't want to/ cannot afford to drop £7k plus on a TV backbox game that gives more trouble than a 30 yr old WPC.

The old schoolers are picking up the juicy cast-offs (original MB, CV, AFM etc) from the TV backbox buyers and holding onto them as they suspect that pinball peaked in the 1990s and the latest games won't age well.

Agree to a point @DRD - I currently have

2 System 11 era games
1 WPC
1 Stern DMD
1 Stern LCD

I don't think the LCD crew are holding games or buying them all up and hoarding, those with the big money have gotten into LCD in a big way. The most money collections in private hands I can think of are almost all LCD and certainly picking off the WPC era and moving on. These are, however, at a higher level and generally £4k+ because where the money is, they have the "nicest" (subjective, by this I mean higher sought after, and cleaner example) games.

Truth is, the hobby is becoming more popular. Lower end game pricing is hitting £2k on average which will become the entry point at some point, even for the crappier DMD's. With the WPC's generally edging down to a peak point (minus ultra high end restorations) especially as CGC keep pumping out remakes of the desirables.

Surely it's not new, each system and iteration must go through it. It was no surprise with DMD, just like it wasn't with system 11.

My take on it.

It used to be that you could sell an 'older' game and not have to put too much towards a NIB game meaning you could regularly change your line up and more machines would be up for sale for everyone to rotate their games.

However, now that the NIB games are 6k plus, it means if you have an older game you're still going to have to put 4k towards a NIB, or sell multiple games, therefore many people don't upgrade due to not having the 4k available meaning that the lower valued games tend to stick in your collection more.

If you've got to the stage of having an LCD game, to fund a NIB you 'only' have to find 1-1.5k if you sell it. However there is a reduced pool of people who buy the LCD games (whether that be due to cost or preference).

Another issue is that people (especially the newer people joining the community) have bought a machine having been told that they won't lose any money on it :rofl: and that it's an investment. Pinflation seems to have slowed considerably for all but a handful of what people consider the most desirable games, probably due to the sheer number of new games being released, and bought, each year.

But none of them for sale, which was Pete's point. Well, the shiny NIB's from Phil are, via the Tilt showroom, but again that's not Pete's point.

I commend your garden shed and Croydon site for being very accessible (shame i live up North really, although i used to live in Horley in 2009 & Croydon around 2011 and DEAR GOD did it hate every minute of it!) so there are some exceptions like you say.

Bigger houses, with more room for games and less need to sell on. Not all are open, or advertised. Limited stock of games being bought up, either for private or public display, less sold.

Dare i ask how much you've spent on games this year? i expect it'll be more than most of our salaries, even before tax! I'm not saying you don't deserve it (my broadband is awesome!), just highlighting the imbalance - which is true of many hobbies.

I'm probably wrong, but that's how i feel!

So for sure more folks own games and for the older games there maybe less around but I’m not convinced now is any different to the last few years - but I’ve imported several games from Europe/US as other have also. But lots of folks have bought new games that means the older ones are on the market.

I think one of the issues is folks bought games at $morethanitsworth and would rather keep it than take what they think is a “loss”!

Cheers,
Neil.

Back
Top Bottom