What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are your thoughts on UKPinfest 2020 if it takes place? - POLL

Will you attend UKPinfest 2020?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone thinks they know best; some are better at telling people that than others.

Whereas I'll keep wearing my seatbelt, thanks, and being extremely weary of public gatherings of any sort when I live in a nation of people that does stupid crap like the bournemouth beach pictures lately.

And are we going to pretend that we haven't smelt at least one person at these pinball events? Let's be honest - I doubt pinfest is going to resemble a sterile environment if it were to go ahead.

Yeah a lot of people cough cough, seemed to think it was just overblown hype in those early days though. They were posting on Facebook daft things like

and trying to organise international pinball tournaments

🤣

LOL

even smart people like me are always learning and not afraid to admit being wrong, some peoplet though think they are never wrong - those are the ones you have to worry about.

Neil.

CV19 is STILL THE SAME virus as what it was a few months ago. It is no 'weaker' and we do not know that much more about it.

Remember - we have no vaccine (don't dream folks - these need to be tested for years! Would you take a vaccine that was tested for a couple of months??? Would you give this vaccine to your kids???). This strain of CV19 will be over way before a vaccine is fully tested. However next year or 2022 a new virus will be here. Ebolla and Sars are in the same family. The next strain is (hopefully) going to be less harmless but that is not guaranteed.

The big question is - in 8 weeks time, would you feel save playing pinball games? Would you want have a few hours wearing a mask like Wayne's with gloves and a facemask on ? Is pinball really worth it ?

Things are getting better.
Screenshot 2020-06-25 at 20.01.50.png

Best thing to do is stay safe everyone. Nobody is forcing you to go to pubs or shops, I am a professional musician and I do not want to play live yet until its safe(r). If you do not want to go out, if you feel unsafe then stay at home if you are lucky enough to be getting 80% still of your wages.

Me
You've given me a new one Wayne, a pinball machine in a clinical setting ;)

and sourcing? So its all your fault that you ran out? :rofl:

I had an almost romantic nostalgic picture of you at work Wayne which you have spoiled. I had you down as Henry the mild mannered janitor but now I have you more like Arkwright from open all hours flogging marigolds, domestos and dish cloths.
Pinball in a hospital setting? Already done that.
20200625_211014.jpg
Me, mild mannered 🤣🤣🤣 That's certainly not the opinion of the reps I get to deal with.

The lack of PPE has been grossly exaggerated by the media - as a stand alone Trust we haven't ran out of anything through the whole outbreak. Neither have any of the Trusts in the Midlands, sharing supplies between ourselves when necessary.

Me

Pinball in a hospital setting? Already done that.
View attachment 111614
Me, mild mannered 🤣🤣🤣 That's certainly not the opinion of the reps I get to deal with.

The lack of PPE has been grossly exaggerated by the media - as a stand alone Trust we haven't ran out of anything through the whole outbreak. Neither have any of the Trusts in the Midlands, sharing supplies between ourselves when necessary.

yes I'm aware, same here in Surrey on PPE front.

Would you want have a few hours wearing a mask like Wayne's with gloves and a facemask on ?
20200513_162133.jpg
These are comfortable enough to wear for extended periods, hooks up to your own filtered air supply. An itchy nose is frustrating though.
Only £600.

The Bournemouth pictures are exactly why I expect that death toll graph to have another spike in a month's time; adding in the lag time for the disease's incubation period and giving the great unwashed-and-dumb a chance to really spread it about themselves.

It's not that I'm scared little boy in the wake of a super-scary disease - well, the disease is scary, but I'm actually contemplating Alton Towers once it reopens, assuming that half the rides aren't shut (they probably will be) because reduced attendance, distances in the queue lines and temperature checks on the way in sound like it's going to be fairly okay. You can achieve distance and relatively low contact with unclean surfaces in a theme park.

Of course if that turns out to be a load of crap and it starts looking like Bournemouth when it opens - it can feck right off.

Management of your risks. Especially against a disease that we don't understand *why* it hits certain people so hard - because when it hits hard, it's a ****ing killer. There's a photo of one of the lungs removed from a previously healthy 20-something year old that needed a double lung transplant after contracting covid-19 and the image beggars belief. https://www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/covid-19-double-lung-transplant

It would be one thing if we had a better idea of who was truly at risk for a reaction like the above, but until you don't I see it as a ****ty gamble to take, for the sake of not holding your water for another half-year at minimum.

the pictures from bournemouth are nuts. We are literally paying people on furlough to go and sunbathe and be stupid. Time to kill that scheme.
A 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' situation. If people are pushed back into work for their wages there's a sizeable portion of the population that effectively will not have a choice but to risk exposure Increases the risk for every single one of us to the point where it becomes inevitable that most of us would catch it.

Closing the beaches would have been an option, at great expense by means of police / private security contractors.

Public stupidity costs money no matter what. The only answer that would have prevent the above from happening would have been not to tell people that restrictions were relaxing - and of course that's not a 'free' option either as more and more people start going ****ing crazy, and obviously keeps the bill for furlough payments going, and it also continues the strangulation of local businesses that are dying on their asses because of forced closure or zero-to-near-zero footfall. Oh, and also not ignoring their own rules when it suited them, and listening to their own experts would have helped reduce the eroding trust in government safety practices and encouraging more people to keep taking the risk seriously, but that's another issue altogether.

If people could be generally trusted to handle themselves, the virus would struggle to break beyond four digit infection rates, and it would only get that high because of the kind of ridiculously long incubation period.

At work yesterday it felt like someone had flipped a switch overnight.

At Thorpe Le Soken you can change for two seaside destinations, Clacton and Walton.
I pulled into there and there were many groups of families, with kids all over the platform. A group of guys in their twenties all with tops off, no face coverings, drinking on the platform.
I could have sworn it was still essential travel only, so what changed?

I have to wear a face covering at work when I'm customer areas, so I'm second thoughts I don't think i could handle that in a pinball environment for hours. Especially if it's as hot as it was last year!

Although we are getting nothing like the numbers seen in Bournemouth we have two small parks near us. One has a great view over London. Unfortunately it was featured on a website a couple of weeks ago. The result? The park is now absolutely heaving. People are turning up early evening and partying all night. Rubbish is left everywhere. There are no toilets so people are literally ****ting in the bushes. Fires have been started and left unattended. The police have been called and one of them was assaulted.

Net result? Now the park has been locked up so no one gets to use it. I suspect the second park will follow suit.

It’s hard for a lot of people though. If you live in a flat with no garden and you’ve been sitting in for 3 months then I can fully understand why you want to get out. Leaving broken bottles, food cartons etc is just an ******* move though.

In many ways we are now in a grey area. I travel to work on public transport, I work closely with people with no PPE and no real social distancing, we are told that pubs etc are now fine to go to in a weeks time. It’s then hard to socially isolate the rest of the time. Everyone thinks about their own acceptable risk level which is a potential recipe for disaster.

On the other hand we’ve now had busy beaches for 6 weeks or so, VE Day celebrations, 3 weeks of protest marches. These don’t appear to have resulted yet in the predicted 2nd wave Which is quite surprising.

One small silver lining is that I looked at the restaurants that are reopening next week. There’s some top London ones that are now accepting bookings. The type of places it is normally impossible to get reservations at. I’ve now got a string of dates booked across the summer.

I don't run parks or beaches. I have never run a park or a beach.

Not f***ing rocket science to provide commercial bins plus an attendant to keep them under control. The whole UK summer event business is closed down, so all the associated infrastructure is sat idle.

Corona UK is like a s*** storm of slow motion car crashes. Our public administrators could not run a p*** up in a brewery but are presumably accruing nice pensions and anticipating early retirement on the backs of the sub 30 year olds

Bins are good. In our park they are utterly overwhelmed though. Why can’t people just take their crap home with them🤬. Other countries manage it but a section of society thinks someone else should tidy up after them. Leaving stuff and smashing bottles is inexcusable.

I was talking to a colleague who lives near Clapham Common and it’s a similar situation there. Mainly covered in “Franco manko” Pizza boxes so I’m willing to bet the perpetrators are young professionals. Ironically they probably also supported the XR protests.

Not f***ing rocket science to provide commercial bins plus an attendant to keep them under control. The whole UK summer event business is closed down, so all the associated infrastructure is sat idle.
This reads as though it is someone elses fault that people can't take their rubbish to a bin or home with them.

Got to be realistic. Folk in high density populations have faced issues getting rid of stuff during lock down as the geniuses in local government shut down the tips.

A significant proportion of the population will just leave rubbish behind if they cannot easily dispose of it properly. Not right. Just a fact of life. Punishment, meaningful fines (£1000 plus) and reeducation might be the ideal answer, the realistic one with the level of capability in this society is to provide bins

Got to be realistic. Folk in high density populations have faced issues getting rid of stuff during lock down as the geniuses in local government shut down the tips.

A significant proportion of the population will just leave rubbish behind if they cannot easily dispose of it properly. Not right. Just a fact of life. Punishment, meaningful fines (£1000 plus) and reeducation might be the ideal answer, the realistic one with the level of capability in this society is to provide bins

Realism needs to be applied to all parties. Local services like councils and the police forces can not realistically take all this on as they are also run by humans who also need to be shielded. Add more bins requires empty more bins, process more waste. It isn't a simple solution. Yet, we can all take our rubbish with us.

I believe the straw that broke the camels back was the government's refusal to deal with Dominic Cummings trip, which gave everyone the green light with the if he can do it then so can I excuse...
Some will use it as an excuse but I honestly don't think it's a factor for the overwhelming majority of people. How many people actually know and care who he is, and would be annoyed that the government said what he did was OK? Not many I'd guess.

I believe the straw that broke the camels back was the government's refusal to deal with Dominic Cummings trip, which gave everyone the green light with the if he can do it then so can I excuse...

There was nothing to deal with. DC didn't break lockdown and didn't break the law (as confirmed by the police). It's a lazy excuse used by the left. The fact that 4 Labour MPs actually DID break the law before the DC saga seems to have been forgotten. London riots changed it for me and Lockdown in London is well and truly over.

Rubbish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't run parks or beaches. I have never run a park or a beach.

Agree Its not rocket science, they carried the crap there, carry it back home, or at least to a bin

Don't think its up to councils to provide more bins, besides the logistics of emptying etc unless they are moving around beside people they wont stuff rubbish in them

Last edited:
the pictures from bournemouth are nuts. We are literally paying people on furlough to go and sunbathe and be stupid. Time to kill that scheme.

So a very small proportion of them are stupid enough to flock to the seaside, and that means that the other 9 million furloughed people should be left jobless and destitute?

That doesn't seem like an over reaction at all.

I think i will have to give it a miss this year even though i was really looking forward to it this year, in my opinion it probably wont be allowed unless there is only about 20 machines in the big room ,most of wales are being very good at the moment and figures are dropping nicely with england spiking quietly again it wouldnt suprise me if the 2nd wave is on its way. i too have written off 2020 and hope the future is a little brighter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom