What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well That New Game Didn't Last Long

Have you re-seated all the socketed IC's yet?

Bring the board to me on the 21st, I'll put it in the cab at the club and we can at least narrow it down to CPU or video board fault

Have you re-seated all the socketed IC's yet?

Bring the board to me on the 21st, I'll put it in the cab at the club and we can at least narrow it down to CPU or video board fault

Appreciated Luke

ALL socketed Ic's have been removed then refitted - so thats about 5 or 6 dozen- still as it was
Had replies to my post on ukvac and a few people mentioning potentially bad rams or roms-at least the roms can at least be easily removed,then tested by someone with a reader
Also had a private message saying "Hmm, looks like a tilemap issue, as the lines are all over the screen. The sound problem is usually a couple of bad RAMs, but can also be the PCM custom IC, which is no longer available" - not clever enough to understand the schematics,but I think the sound circuit is at least a smallish one.No idea what tilemap issue means,tho i guess that means something to those in the know-to me - nowt!
Makes ya realise pinballs can be a peice of cake to work on compared to vids.At least a fair of the few pinboards can be bought.Not vids tho.Hell,if i could i would just buy/part ex what I have for a workign power drift boards,but that is looking difficult

Last edited:
Tilemaps are a way of doing graphics in video games. An image is made up of smaller sections that are repeated or "tiled" in the game. It's an early technique to save RAM.

If the ROM chips that store the tiles have become partially corrupted this might possibly be visible as the same error pattern as the tiles are repeated in the game. It does kind of look like that in your video.

I'm still concerned that something happened.

Yes boards go faulty, but for a sound and graphics fault to appear at exactly the same time, I would be concerned that maybe there was a spike from the PSU or some other power related event to cause the failure.

For the sake of £20, might be worth sticking a brand new psu in there anyway

I'm still concerned that something happened.

Yes boards go faulty, but for a sound and graphics fault to appear at exactly the same time, I would be concerned that maybe there was a spike from the PSU or some other power related event to cause the failure.

For the sake of £20, might be worth sticking a brand new psu in there anyway

Where do you get them from Luke?
IF boards get fixed,it makes sense to change it

So I bought a new power supply,and someone kindly borrowed me a working boardset.
All was well played for a few hours.Left it on whilst sending thank you message to the board owner.Came back in the room with the mild smell of burning or overheating to see that the fooking monitor has now died:mad::mad::mad:
thankfully the borrowed boardset is still running,but my dream game is now a nightmare,and am on the fence to give up completely with it and just move on or end up spending even more money,with no guarantees of it ever working again:confused:
Lesson learned - Poibug,stick you what ya know :-o:-o

What else can go wrong ?
Nothing else can so stick with it, you've been after this machine for ages so get what needs fixing fixed and enjoy.
Sorry to hear it's been a pita so far but hopeffully you are over the worst and now things can only get better.

Bummer. Agree with Darren though. Sounds like the electronics will all be refurbed/new by the time these faults are sorted

Can be a real downer when things go wrong though. Give it a few days and you'll have a clearer view at least

Jesh! I've had up to 60 videogames running at one point. Never heard someone get so upset about just one with a few problems;) :rofl:

In all seriousness, there is a guy called Grant who does a great job of monitor repairs, you can send the chassis off to him. Andy @u72 should have his contact details

If thats Grant as in "grantspain" on a couple of forums, i have heard he does some great work :)

Back
Top Bottom