What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well That New Game Didn't Last Long

Poibug

Registered
Picked up Power Drift,and apart from reported monitor fault,all ok.
Now it has completely died.Looks like I had better shoot out some emails enquiring where to look first

I am pretty fed up at the mo :(:(:(:tut::tut::tut:

That is bad luck, let's hope the ones in the know can chip in and help you out.

I'm sure you will get it up and running in no time..... Prob just a fuse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was gonna say that Rudi, and then take the p*ss, until i read that there are in fact two fuses on the powerdrift monitor, and then three in the cab! So it is possible that one has given up the ghost and needs replacing, and then a little tweaking to being back into spec!

Check your power supply voltages first before anything else.

Also check for AC ripple on the +5v line. The filter caps in old Sega SMPSU tend to de-solder themselves and drop off

Voltage at power board seemed high,yet when i brought the 5v down nearer to 5 volts the game wouldn't even boot.Not 100% why,there could be big voltagedrop to main boards but aint 100% sure where to check voltage tho led'son fine
Quite frankly out my depth and feeling rather out of it and fed up.

My issues are two fold

Graphical errors which look similar to picture 1 here
http://dweeb.net/afterburner/badrom/

my issue is graphical corruption,but mine is essentially vertical dashed lines style interference - for a pin just ask someone to reburn roms to test-prob here there are fookin loads

the other is I have sound/speech just that it aint right.where it should say 3,2,1 it says just "3,3,"In fact most sound issues are scratchy sound or speech repeating

Have put olive braches out to a few people,hoping they or someone on here has ideas

now sourced base schematics and main manual

a knobbed off poibug

Voltage at power board seemed high,yet when i brought the 5v down nearer to 5 volts the game wouldn't even boot.Not 100% why,there could be big voltagedrop to main boards but aint 100% sure where to check voltage tho led'son fine

So leave it at that high level seeing as the game works then.

Graphical errors which look similar to picture 1 here
http://dweeb.net/afterburner/badrom/

my issue is graphical corruption,but mine is essentially vertical dashed lines style interference - for a pin just ask someone to reburn roms to test-prob here there are fookin loads

I'd replace the ROM holders, clean the connector pins at the edge of the PCB and reflow the solder for those connector pins as a start. Also check and clean the ROM legs.

the other is I have sound/speech just that it aint right.where it should say 3,2,1 it says just "3,3,"In fact most sound issues are scratchy sound or speech repeating

Back to reflowing connectors and possibly replacing the connectors themselves to start with. May be worth replacing the Speech ROM holder and cleaning the legs of the ROM as well.

I feel really ****ty about tipping you off about this game now, the seller seemed to suggest it was working fine aside from the screen warm up time.

:(

Did you let it acclimatize for 24hrs before switching on?

I feel really ****ty about tipping you off about this game now, the seller seemed to suggest it was working fine aside from the screen warm up time.

:(

Tested there,and apart from the known screen issues ok

Me n @replicas had a quick go,well mainly me and it was ok.
Then about 1 or so later had a few gos for 30 mins or so then it went on one.
these things happen-just like pins they can go wrong.Not your fault mate

Only difference here is if a pin I would have a good idea on where to start looking,and feel pretty confident on fixing it myslef.Sadly for me not with a vid game tho:(

Have the manual,as had a copy with it when I bought it.

Also after trawling the internet have come up with good information like pinouts,and,eventually the cpu and video boardschematics(should at least help someone in the know).

Going to remove the cpu and video boards tomorrow,then split them apart.Will give the board a quick look over,and will remove then reseat any roms,as read of a fault on an afterburner that looks similar to my porblem.A long shot I know,but in that case it was (two)knackered roms.
I don't have ways of testing roms or replacements,but reseating is worth it as they may have moved in transit-it was transported onits ass,not upright.

Will then check power supply going into the boards(rather than just checking at the main power supply)

RGP?
Been looking thru ukvac posts for stuff that looks remotely similar or sega related

Damn, that is real shame. Sorry I can't be of help, know little about vids myself. Just one word of advice though about something you don't get in pins: voltages on the CRT monitor are fecking lethal. Just make sure you understand about that **** and know how to safely drain away residual charge. Getting a tingle off a +190 volt pinball display circuit is nothing compared to getting zapped with 20,000+ volts off a tube!

Sadly these Sega boards are a pain in the ass to repair, as they require specific connectors that are not easy to make adapters for. Without a loom, you can't really work on them on the test bench.

Sega boards are power hungry, so make sure your power is right first as previously stated.

You want between 5.0 and 5.1v at the PCB on both boards, not at the power supply

Make sure your AC ripple is less than 50mv

If the voltage drop is high between the psu and the pcb, then add more wires, there is a splitter block on the power tray for the +5v and the ground, add more wires between the psu and the splitters. There should be about 5 of each wires going from the splitter to the pcbs, so the problem should not be on that end.

Split the boards and remove and reseat every socketed chip

If that doesn't cure your problems, then you are into more advanced diagnosis teratory and need to be looking at the board on a properly equipped test bench

Sadly these Sega boards are a pain in the ass to repair, as they require specific connectors that are not easy to make adapters for. Without a loom, you can't really work on them on the test bench.

Sega boards are power hungry, so make sure your power is right first as previously stated.

You want between 5.0 and 5.1v at the PCB on both boards, not at the power supply

Make sure your AC ripple is less than 50mv

If the voltage drop is high between the psu and the pcb, then add more wires, there is a splitter block on the power tray for the +5v and the ground, add more wires between the psu and the splitters. There should be about 5 of each wires going from the splitter to the pcbs, so the problem should not be on that end.

Split the boards and remove and reseat every socketed chip

If that doesn't cure your problems, then you are into more advanced diagnosis teratory and need to be looking at the board on a properly equipped test bench

So basically i am up the creek without a paddle.
Don't have level of skills required to repair it myself,and,from reasons you say,unlikely to find someone that can help due to PITA level.

I did double up on cables from psu to main splitter block.
From what I can see it aint a voltage issue,and ac ripple aint high.
Think all that is left is to try and get my boards put in another game-that will prove what I think-thats it's on one of the main two boards9not power suplpy or one of the other boards at fault)
Then other than getting roms checked,my little foray into vids is over.

Time to go and play the pins! as playing Power Drift in state it's in os depressing - mind you I do have Mame:)

i'm convinced it will live again mate. with your skills and the internet and forums and all the clever people out there, i reckon you'll have it working before the ides of March

gif hypnotoad.gif

i'm convinced it will live again mate. with your skills and the internet and forums and all the clever people out there, i reckon you'll have it working before the ides of March

View attachment 14712

Out of my limits mate,tho posted on ukvac and have emailed a few peeps,hopefully will get some replies,fingers crossed

I'm sure some of the vid gurus who are on the forum will spring to your aid and get you fixed up and sorted.

I'm sure some of the vid gurus who are on the forum will spring to your aid and get you fixed up and sorted.

your waaay more optimistic than i am.Hope you're right but when Luke says they are a PITA to work on,don't fill me with too much hope :(
Gonna check roms,then thats my skill set finished

Back
Top Bottom