What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to Hawkins ... stranger things thread

Now to remove the ridiculous Arcade sign mod which rotates with a motor which is almost as loud as the machine's fan, all the time...
Good to hear he's finally swallowing your balls, if you pardon the expression! I've also got the same loud Arcade sign mod on mine... yes, it is a bit noisy!!

To be honest, I think black velcro strip is probably less 'in your face' than my sparkly pink stuff... it was all I had to hand though... main thing is that it lifts my balls nicely so Mr Demo can swallow them... again, pardoning the expression of course :)

Last edited:
I think it's the Pinball Browser geezer who has to crack the lock by the way, that then lets Cleland, or anyone else using Pinball Browser, in to change the music...
Pinball browser has been updated and is now compatible with the latest code. Hopefully Cleland will update soon!

I’m tempted to order a set of these - have you installed them yet Neil?

For some reason spike 2 games after not too much play the flipper coils heat up and become weaker. Pretty pathetic design for something that is intended to be on for days earning money. Its apparently very noticable on the premium as when fresh you can back hand the left ramp, several games later not possible. I see it on the pro too but not impossible as the pro doesn't have the extra ramp up top for ball locks.

Pinball browser has been updated and is now compatible with the latest code. Hopefully Cleland will update soon!

I’m tempted to order a set of these - have you installed them yet Neil?
installing them later today, but knowing Vic they will be the real deal, there is enough positive feedback on inside to be sure they do the job. Only other game they might be useful on is BK:SOR.

Neil.
(Pinball browser - enjoy it for now, where stern are headed on their code base mean it won't work for long).

Never had an issue on mine with the flippers
There is no way on the le you could back hand the left ramp and get it to stick on the back board

I kind of miss the upper rollover lanes though... also, not sure why they didn't make the right orbit shot an actual orbit, maybe with a control gate to force the ball into the pops at key moments... the left orbit feeding the right flipper is a kind of compensation for this though.

What’s the deal with these flipper fans? Why does ST need them when no other machine since the dawn of time has needed them.
It’s just the pwm design stern has used for years and we’ve discussed loads of times before

go play a lotr , tspp , Star Trek , AC/DC and hold the flipper up for 3 minutes! Or don’t!!

As the game is on for longer residual heat build up in the coil causes bad stuff to happen. You are always going to get this with a pwm coil design. Only a seperate 2 coil with hold winding that is designed to be on all day at full activation would solve this

surprised they don’t just bin the single coil flipper coil now

Well problem solved: now hitting the Demigorgon right in the cakehole with regularity. It really transforms the game. (OK that's a bit much, but it now plays as it was intended to).

After messing about with levels and flippers, I ended up with a little strip of velcro hooks across the top of the ramp. It's not noticeable if you don't look for it, but it does the job perfectly. Not as pretty as @pinballslave's version, but I am now happy and this game is growing on me all the time.

View attachment 124949

Now to remove the ridiculous Arcade sign mod which rotates with a motor which is almost as loud as the machine's fan, all the time...
Yeah my arcade motor is loud too.
It rotates to fast to.
I just dream of owning a UV kit now.

I kind of miss the upper rollover lanes though... also, not sure why they didn't make the right orbit shot an actual orbit, maybe with a control gate to force the ball into the pops at key moments... the left orbit feeding the right flipper is a kind of compensation for this though.

It's the one thing that breaks my bawls about Metallica. Unless it's part of a combo, the right orbit gets stopped by the up post, absolute flow killer and the shot doesn't feel satisfying

It’s just the pwm design stern has used for years and we’ve discussed loads of times before

go play a lotr , tspp , Star Trek , AC/DC and hold the flipper up for 3 minutes! Or don’t!!

As the game is on for longer residual heat build up in the coil causes bad stuff to happen. You are always going to get this with a pwm coil design. Only a seperate 2 coil with hold winding that is designed to be on all day at full activation would solve this

surprised they don’t just bin the single coil flipper coil now
Held the left flipper for a while on my lotr, it stuck up! Cooked coil and blown transistor. Somebody fitted a bigger fuse on the flipper. Lovely smell.
Dont hold for long anymore!!!

I bladdy love this game. I haven't played DeadPool all week, just having a few cheeky goes of this each evening.

The only thing I think could have made it more satisfying (other than lockbar button working which should happen..) is that right orbit shot to the pops could have been clever and supported a full loop.

Sent from my Atari 2600

There are a lot of comparisons with AFM shot-wise, is that accurate? I love the shots on JP as they are interesting and a nice mix of easy and hard. The shots on ST look a bit vanilla?

It is quite similar to AFM, but to me the shots are much tighter and harder to nail. AFM is fantastic but pretty easy to complete 3 of each shot and much faster and more frenetic . ST not so much.

I just came across Bulls%*t, which is one of the mystery modes. Every time you hit a switch you get points and there is a different callout of Bulls%*t from the many times it is said in the telly series. Very childish and silly and absolutely brilliant!

I'm quite surprised Stern went for it given how puritan they can be.

I've got Bulls%*t a couple of times - but generally terrible at lighting mystery so never see that screen enough.

As for vanilla shots yeah it's just a two flipper game but the modes make this game so so so so fun and the playfield comes alive with the projector and all the dynamic animations and text that get displayed for each mode.

I think I will wait until the V1.00 code.

Good to see he is back in though.

Been playing this a lot and I think it’s one of the best games Stern has made.

After the sweat I put in to get to Total Isolation, and now reading up about Total Isolation 2 and the other 3 wizard modes; I think I can safely say I will never see them lol.

After the sweat I put in to get to Total Isolation, and now reading up about Total Isolation 2 and the other 3 wizard modes; I think I can safely say I will never see them lol.

The first Total Isolation is pretty easy to get to - just have to shoot each of the four main shots three times to start the modes. If you're playing on default settings an extra ball will be lit when you start the third mode, and you can light another extra ball by shooting the Burn it Back shot a number of times - the number of shots remaining to light EB will show on the display when you make the shot.

If you manage to earn the two extra balls, all you need to do is start one mode per ball and you'll still have a ball leftover to go for Total Isolation.

How is the flow on this game? I'm a sucker for games that let you string a load of shots together that rely heavily on timing. Does this have some of that or is it more stop/starty? I half fancy one of these next

How is the flow on this game? I'm a sucker for games that let you string a load of shots together that rely heavily on timing. Does this have some of that or is it more stop/starty? I half fancy one of these next

Flow is pretty good and one of the requirements for the wizard mode is a five shot combo. There are only two shots that kill the flow and I don't find either particularly satisfying - the right orbit which just feeds the pops and then comes back, and the mystery lane to the left of the demogorgon targets which traps the ball before releasing it down the left orbit.

The left orbit to right ramp shot is fantastic, the ramps are great, and I love the burn it back loop too. The drop targets in front of the Demogorgon don't add to the flow but definitely keep you on your toes. Really enjoying the game.

Check out this video - it gives a great overview of the game and also features the custom Cleland sound:

I've got a question maybe a Premium/LE owner can answer, how does the projector project numerous different images at the same time, are there numerous lenses in the projector? There seems to be 10+ images being projected at once? *Image nabbed from Pinside.

58b066aefd5512a95f100ed5f83b454033858b03.jpg

I guess it’s just one image. If you projected it on to one large screen all of those images would be dotted around the screen in a random mess. But they line up perfectly with the corresponding targets etc...

I guess it’s just one image. If you projected it on to one large screen all of those images would be dotted around the screen in a random mess. But they line up perfectly with the corresponding targets etc...

Yes, this is exactly how it works. One thing I didn’t realise until I got the game is that projections aren’t just limited to the panels and targets with the screen material - in some modes there are projected images moving over the back panel and even up to the bottom of the backbox. I think it’s probably most noticeable in Where’s Barb which has moving question marks everywhere. The projector isn’t perfect by a long shot, but it’s much more impressive than I thought it would be.

Back
Top Bottom