What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress VIVA lost VECTOR

Assuming it's always the same incorrect plastic, meaning it was done on the assembly line, it must be from a Bally game contemporaneous with (or pre-dating) Vector. I don't definitely recognise it, but that tiny piece of different artwork suggests 'Mystic' to me.

You could be right @Jay Walker!

But I was wrong about the plastic location. The one I highlighted is a similar size, slightly larger but has rounded ends. The plastic @astyy is unsure about I know realise sits to right of the entrance the VECTORSCAN ramp. He's a photo of mine showing both:

image.jpeg

The plastic is just to the right of the 3 DEFENDER targets. If I recall one or both of the posts are missing from @astyy's playfield which explains why it wasn't clear where it went.

The plastic @astyy is unsure about I know realise sits to right of the entrance the VECTORSCAN ramp
That would explain it I'm missing the relevant posts to support it.

upload_2015-10-23_10-26-13.png

Also can I notify the metal fabrication department to manufacture these

upload_2015-10-23_10-25-29.png

I'm loving this guy in the pf artwork

upload_2015-10-23_10-28-8.png

There's some fabulous detail in the art. Well worth taking the time to look at it closely :D

The missing part is a flat plate with a simple fold in it, plus a couple of riveted brackets:

upload_2015-10-23_10-47-40.png

Should be too hard ;)

That would explain it I'm missing the relevant posts to support it.

View attachment 21765

These take an absolute battering and normally get ripped up out of the playfield. It was played for quite a while with the first post missing as you can tell by the ball shaped impact on the ball guide that the post was meant to protect.

I had a customer repair job to do on that same spot after his post was ripped out.

I had a customer repair job to do on that same spot after his post was ripped out.

Interesting, is there any improvement that can be implemented as part of the repair?

only just spotted this thread,your doing a great job,I had some stickers,of the defenders and x y z made up to use on mine,as someone had replaced all the drop targets with plain ones at some point and it just didn't look right.if you fancy going down that route let me know and i'll put you in touch with the guy that prints them

Those post holes don't look too bad. Probably the best improvement is if they're only screw-in posts replace them with bolt versions that use a T-but on the underside, like the 2 posts either side of the centre spots on GOLD BALL.

@astyy ah, the riveted bell posts. I covered this in my "paused" shop log on fathom

Removal with soldering iron is easy, and reveals that truly foul "bally plastic" smell.

Getting the new ones on is the pain though. @ronsplooter used heat to do this, it is in his shop log on fireball 2. I used a dremel to carefully grind down the bell post. I don't think that either way is perfect, but I used the dremel as i did not want any looseness/ play on these plastics as the ball runs down them to the flippers. The heat way preserves the bell posts, but can leave looseness ...
image.jpg

image.jpg

Getting the new ones on is the pain though
Thanks for the advice, this task is some way off and on VECTOR the plastics that mount on bell posts are clear ones that are largely hidden hence I may reuse the originals (which I actually have) if they clean up ok and dodge learning this skill for the time being.

Some reference photos to help VECTOR Club identify incorrect/missing wiring.

1. Installed Cab door wiring, to GI and flasher PCBs. 3x inline connectors.

WP_20151027_12_32_33_Pro__highres.jpg WP_20151027_12_32_43_Pro__highres.jpg WP_20151027_12_33_01_Pro__highres.jpg WP_20151027_12_34_19_Pro__highres.jpgWP_20151027_12_33_55_Pro.jpgWP_20151027_12_33_42_Pro__highres.jpg

2. Playfield loom into BB. 4x inline connectors one of which is direct to VECTOR Scan display in PF.

WP_20151027_12_35_12_Pro__highres.jpg WP_20151027_12_35_58_Pro__highres.jpg WP_20151027_12_36_05_Pro__highres.jpg WP_20151027_12_37_17_Pro__highres.jpg WP_20151027_12_37_29_Pro__highres.jpg WP_20151027_12_37_42_Pro__highres.jpg

3. Coin door.

WP_20151027_12_43_04_Pro__highres.jpg WP_20151027_12_43_28_Pro__highres.jpg WP_20151027_12_43_41_Pro__highres.jpg

Other than the above, I have 3x loose looms.

1. Links displays but appears to have missing connection to pf display
2. Connectors for Aux Lamp board
3. TBD

In the cabinet I only have connection from the PF loom to A2 J1. So missing looms cabinet loom connecting A2 J2 and BB loom connecting to A2 J3 & J4.

In the back box I have all PCB connectors apart from A4 J3 & A3 J2 which should be on the missing BB loom from A2.

More to follow VECTOR fans....

Attachments

• WP_20151027_12_36_38_Pro__highres.jpg
    WP_20151027_12_36_38_Pro__highres.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 14
  • WP_20151027_12_37_06_Pro__highres.jpg
    WP_20151027_12_37_06_Pro__highres.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 13
Ordered the capacitors and trimmers from CPC. Looked at the Forever caps from Rapid Online but they worked out 3 or 4 times the price. If they were super, super, super awesome and I was only saving pennies buying cheapo caps it might be an option but I've ordered all Panasonic caps which are very good.

Slight drop in price too! £24.89 in stead of £25.87, so £4.98 per board.

I spent an enjoyable evening at @Nedreud earlier in the week testing the boards that came with the project, breaking his new S&T test rig and keeping him and his tortoise up past midnight. Thank you for your help Nedrued.

On the boards front...
- S&T Tested Working
- 3x MPU not booting to single flash
- Aux lamp driver tested working
need lamp driver and HV/Solenoid board which Nedrued has in stock and the project came with several NOS MPUs, PIAs etc

I discovered that I couldn't match connectors because the backbox loom that came with the project is actually from an Eight Ball! The cluesy is that VECTOR looms cam with light blue card labels printed VECTOR and Eight Ball comes with orange labels marked....

We then deconstructed the working VECTOR to identify the following required wiring;

1. Loom from Rectifier board A2 J3 & J4 to Backbox one 24 pin inline connector (white). Also has two flat spurs that connect through the single Triac on power mounting plate.
WP_20151027_23_34_15_Pro.jpg

2. Cable from Aux board on BB inside door. This has two display type connectors to two inline connectors and is distinctive cos one of them is red. It also has a blue cable that spurs onto the BB GI stapled wiring.
WP_20151027_23_14_07_Pro.jpgWP_20151027_23_13_28_Pro__highres.jpgWP_20151027_23_13_42_Pro.jpg WP_20151027_23_15_11_Pro.jpg WP_20151027_23_15_28_Pro.jpg

3. Backbox loom that connects the 5x displays on door and connects to the backbox PCBs. This is distinctive as on the final display the cabling spurs to an inline connector which in turn connects to the VECTOR scan display embedded in the playfield
WP_20151027_23_20_16_Pro__highres.jpg

4. Cabinet complete loom and tilt board. Basically everything from the line filter round the cabinet switches (power,flippers, tilt...) and mechs (knocker). This contains the power connector with voltage jumpers and A2 J2 then routes up into the backbox to connect two PCBs and a flat 5 pin connector and the 2-wire speaker cable.
WP_20151027_23_38_24_Pro.jpg WP_20151027_23_38_32_Pro.jpg WP_20151027_23_45_31_Pro__highres.jpg

I hope to find some of this out there but worst case could be made up from scratch :eek:

Yeah, looks as though the S&T card that came with your VECTOR has a bad -5VDC section which toasted the -12VDC supply on my trusty old Dell mini-ATX power supply. The +5V and +12V still work so fine for testing MPUs. No matter, ordered another reclaimed ATX from eBay - £6.99 delivered!

I had a closer look at the MPUs you have. Two are Stern MPU-100 boards and the other is the older original Bally AS-2518-17 MPU. The latter generally looks ok apart from having the dreaded "brown" chip sockets. The only issue with AS-2518-17 MPU versus the later -AS-2518-35 is that it doesn't support as many different types of ROM/EEPROM but it is possible to modify if needed. One of the Sterns look ok whilst the other has severe alkali damage such that several components have even fallen off! All are salvageable but the rotten Stern would take a lot of work. If they can be returned to working order probably best to sell as unmodified suitable as direct replacements for the following games:
  • Bally AS-2518-17
    • Freedom
    • Night Rider
    • Black Jack
    • Evel Knievel
    • Eight Ball
    • Power Play
    • Mata Hari
    • Strikes & Spares
  • Stern MPU-100
    • Pinball
    • Stingray
    • Stars
    • Memory Lane
    • Lectronamo
    • Wild Fyre
    • Nugent
    • Dracula
    • Trident
    • Hot Hand
    • Magic
    • Cosmic Princess
Pleased that the AS-4518-52 AUX LAMP DRIVER is working 100%. In fact, it helped me realise that I don't have a dead bulb in the chaser lamps on my VECTOR, but probably a dead Q transistor!

All of this has made me realise what a shocking mess my VECTOR is! It's filthy!

Good to see you getting stuck into it Aston, best of luck with it. I may be a member of Vector Club but mine is sadly stowed away until I can sort the games room/garage following my recent house move. At least I'll have yours and Peter's to refer to, you'll be experts on these. :D

Good to see you getting stuck into it Aston, best of luck with it. I may be a member of Vector Club but mine is sadly stowed away until I can sort the games room/garage following my recent house move. At least I'll have yours and Peter's to refer to, you'll be experts on these. :D
Just sell it to me. Save you lots of hassle. :)

We're rolling again, the super helpful @Jay Walker has provided me a similar cabinet loom, mech's and the loom to the BB. Not only that, but he delivered them to my pin-shop in person, then beat me at GOLD BALL and HOOK. He has helped me with all of my machines now and it was good to meet him in person. Thank you Jay I hope you enjoyed the rest of your weekend trip.:clap::clap::clap::clap:

WP_20151120_17_14_26_Pro.jpg

More pieces of the jigsaw - nice coin slots received from jaywalker. A couple of these will likely find there way onto GOLDBALL

WP_20151128_07_07_47_Pro.jpg

Started looking at the replacement cabinet loom today - it's from an ELEKTRA which was the previous year to VECTOR so hopefully similar. It has an extra switch on the left hand flipper not used in VECTOR (matrix position S0 / I4) but that position on the switch matrix is used on the VECTOR playfield so I'm assuming it will be ok to leave disconnected on the cabinet.

The cabinet loom goes up to MPU A4 J3 for the cabinet switch matrix for the columns and returns and that is identical.

What is different is the Solenoid driver connector A3J2, ELEKTRA has 5 pins populated and VECTOR uses the same 5 + 5 more. What is confusing me is that these extra 5 connect to the target reset mechs on the playfield and I can't understand how the connectivity to the playfield is achieved from the cabinet loom.

Come on VECTOR club man up!

upload_2015-11-28_20-21-56.png

Here's the next donor loom. This one connects from the Recitifier board in the bottom of the cabinet A2 J3 & J4 to a 24 pin inline connector to the BB. This one is from ELEKTRA too per the orange tag, VECTOR looms have light blue tags.

upload_2015-11-28_20-58-21.png

Comparing the connectors and schematics for both machines the pinout and wire colours are bang on for A2 J3 and J4, however there is a difference on the inline connector. This ELEKTRA loom has 18 pins populated exactly the same as VECTOR but which also uses Pin 19 for A17J1-4 with a colour 15 red/white wire.

upload_2015-11-28_21-5-32.png

I can add this wire to the plug but I don't know what A17J1 is? Go VECTOR Club....

Edit : Found A17 it's the GI Flasher mounted on the cabinet door.

Last edited:
did you want pics of the playfield coils?

I don't think so thanks, the PF loom is seemingly intact (and from VECTOR) with mechs (but most coils robbed), what I'm interested in is how those extra pins on A3-J2 are connected to PF mech's when that connector is part of the cabinet loom.

jaywalker also supplied me the PF loom from ELEKTRA so I have lots of spare wires in many colours to modify the looms to fit.

What is confusing me is that these extra 5 connect to the target reset mechs on the playfield and I can't understand how the connectivity to the playfield is achieved from the cabinet loom.
Ok I've found the smoking gun in the @Nedreud photos (where else!) I'm missing a spur from A3 J2 which has an inline connector for those 5 solenoids that in turn connects to the PF loom. This should be a pretty straightforward mod to the ELEKTRA loom.

To add to the fun my donor BB wiring is from EIGHT BALL but I'll worry about that later as I'm working up from the transformer.

upload_2015-11-29_9-14-45.png

Awesome work @astyy! Keep at it!

I'll be back on the case soon. I'm taking both GOLD BALL and VECTOR to the school Christmas fair this Wednesday, so hoping that just like the double VECTOR pickup from London, I'll be able to get them both in my car without too much hoo-hah or damage :eek:

I'll be back on the case soon.
Thanks will be nice to get some boards installed but noooooooooooooo rush there's nothing ready to plug in to them yet. I have the Backbox loom (from EIGHT BALL) and Aux lamp board loom to investigate and they appear more complicated. Also need to learn and tool up on modifying the connectors to fit this lot together, add missing wiring pins, fit new inline connectors etc. Oh and the dreaded Triac.

For those following this loomy waffle, it's not all bad, the playfield, BB door insert lamp ring, BB door to aux flasher PCBs are from VECTOR so I have some original wiring to match up to.

Back
Top Bottom