What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using Inverter Aircon As A Room Heater

DRD

Registered
Am considering getting a wall mounted (close to the ceiling) unit for my living room. Modern inverter AC units essentially double as air source heat pumps so should be more efficient than using oil, which is what we do now.

Has anyone else done this ?

Does it work well ?

I had an AC guy out today and he suggested a floor mounted version. He said that it would function better in heating mode than the wall mounted ones. As the unit would be used a lot more as a heater than a cooler, he thought floor mounted was a better choice.

The only problem with this is that it would mess up where we put the furniture !

The top of the wall mounted units are vastly more common so I wonder if he was over egging the story?

Any thoughts pls from the aircon fraternity ?

Thanks

If you want a wall mount get one, it’s out of the way and will heat the room the same anyway. Will be great in the summer too.
Its what I would go for and the one I had was ok but that was a cinema room.
Ive done a/c but only wall mount and ceiling cassettes.

Reactions: DRD
We use them (wall mounted) in Spain a lot. Very efficient both summer and winter (which contrary to general expectations gets cold enough to warrant heating).

I have one in the Domino Arcade - Wall mounted with the inverter outside. Works lovely as cooler and heater and cheap to run.

interesting ,
Quick google shows they are fairly inexpensive.
anyone do a DIY install ?
You can get them with pre charged flexible pipes for diy so pretty easy and cheap. Doubt they will honour any warranty if it’s not fitted by a Fgas registered fitter though.

Looking at the stats on @Neil McRae 's unit ....

Operation Mode Cooling Heating
Capacity kW 57.1(0.9~8.0) 6.3(0.9~10.6)
Input Power kW 2.200 2.210
EER W/W 3.23 -
COP W/W - 3.61

This has a Coefficient of Performance of 3.61. This means that with a regular electric heater you would need 3.61 kWh of supply to get 3.61 kWh of energy. But with the AC unit you only need to supply 1 kWh of electricity to get 3.61 kWh of heat.

There are these clever little invisible men inside the unit that perform this alchemy.

Word is that you can ask these little guys to pick winners at the greyhounds too, but the EU does not allow the statistics to be published on this.

You should learn more about how it works Dave!

it’s far cheaper than any other heating solution.

I'm very tempted, just need to find someone to fit one near me.

@ianw

Some are even reasonably inoffensive to look at...

Most of the ones available nowadays are pre-charged, so you just run and flare your pipework, tighten the nuts on each end, and open the valves - if you have it all plumbed in correctly then it'll work nicely :)

Mitsubshi Heavy Industries

FDE 60 with Hyper Inverter 60ZSX

Mine is 6kw. The wall mounted models tend to go up to 5kw or 6kw. Ceiling mounted units (like @ianw ) can be much more powerful.

It is in my kitchen/ living room which is 50 sqm. The installer said that a 5kw would do (benefits being lower purchase cost, greater electrical efficiency, smaller external unit), but I wanted a faster heat up time for the room.

It has an infa red camera so can be set to direct the airflow at or away from people should you wish. 'er indoors originated from South Africa where summer temps regularly hit 35 to 40 degrees plus so she has extensive experience of living with AC. She hates cold air landing on her, which is why went for a model with the people sensor.

The radiators are now turned off in this room. The dog and cat have already figured out what is what and have repositioned themselves accordingly ...

15811396626061660334171824398106.jpg

cool - Ian probably more of an issue for you but if you have a lot of people round and the games on get the A/C unit on early to bring the temp down - Mine is more powerful and with all games on and a shed full of pinsters on a warm day it can struggle.

Is it a recent one?

Mine is fantastic for heating. Turn it on remotely and in 5mins the place is toasty. Costs peanuts to run also.

Cheers,
Neil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@chris b

What is the problem with the heating function pls ? - Too little heat ?, Too expensive to run ?, Fluctuations in temperature ?

I have only had mine in 2 days but so far it seems excellent as the only source of heat in the room. 1 unit is evenly heating a 50 sqm room. My battery powered electronic thermometer shows that the room temp is bang on 20 degrees. Total power consumption over the first 48 hours or so is 12kwh for a room with three external walls.

Should anyone be after these things - Mitsubishi Electric and Mitsubishi Heavy are actually independent companies that both have wide (and different) ranges of AC units.

I have been told that if you have two units in a room, they need to be connected by a control wire otherwise they can "fight" one another - ie unit 1 is heating while unit 2 is cooling

It probably not the units more badly insulated room and I never ran them constant one big problem I had was it was hot upstairs and cold downstairs on a really cold day it would take to mid afternoon to get warm on the lower level
I never saw an account increase on my bills though
If you are using constant in a well insulated room should be good I imagine

Back
Top Bottom