Using Inverter Aircon As A Room Heater

DRD

Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2014
Newark
Am considering getting a wall mounted (close to the ceiling) unit for my living room. Modern inverter AC units essentially double as air source heat pumps so should be more efficient than using oil, which is what we do now.

Has anyone else done this ?

Does it work well ?

I had an AC guy out today and he suggested a floor mounted version. He said that it would function better in heating mode than the wall mounted ones. As the unit would be used a lot more as a heater than a cooler, he thought floor mounted was a better choice.

The only problem with this is that it would mess up where we put the furniture !

The top of the wall mounted units are vastly more common so I wonder if he was over egging the story?

Any thoughts pls from the aircon fraternity ?

Thanks

M4carp

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Alias
David
If you want a wall mount get one, it’s out of the way and will heat the room the same anyway. Will be great in the summer too.
Its what I would go for and the one I had was ok but that was a cinema room.
Ive done a/c but only wall mount and ceiling cassettes.

Reactions: DRD
OP
DRD

DRD

Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2014
Newark
Looking at the stats on @Neil McRae 's unit ....

Operation Mode Cooling Heating
Capacity kW 57.1(0.9~8.0) 6.3(0.9~10.6)
Input Power kW 2.200 2.210
EER W/W 3.23 -
COP W/W - 3.61

This has a Coefficient of Performance of 3.61. This means that with a regular electric heater you would need 3.61 kWh of supply to get 3.61 kWh of energy. But with the AC unit you only need to supply 1 kWh of electricity to get 3.61 kWh of heat.

There are these clever little invisible men inside the unit that perform this alchemy.

Word is that you can ask these little guys to pick winners at the greyhounds too, but the EU does not allow the statistics to be published on this.