What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updated Marketplace Terms and conditions

Paul

Staff member
Alias
Toibs
Due to events earlier today, and alongside a similar event which took place a long while ago, the Terms and Conditions for Sales/Trades/Wanted Ads have been updated.

These can be found here : https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/help/marketplace/ and members are agreeing with these Terms and conditions every time they post an ad on the site.

Additions :

Site members must be upgraded to "Site Supporter" status to allow them to post in the Wanted/Trade/Sales portions of this site.
Site supporters that post items for sale on this forum do so on the understanding that they are the Owner of the Item for sale, and that the item is in their posession.
It is NOT permitted to post Sales/Trades/Wanted Ads on behalf of a third party unless discussed and agreed with the Admins of the site beforehand - This needs to be fully agreed in writing prior to posting the item, else the post WILL be removed AND the member posting will be permanently banned from the site.

Last updated : 03/01/2023 21:00

Thankfully the circumstances around todays events doesnt happen too often, however we must do all we can to protect the honest members of the site (99%+)

Last edited:
So this rule has been in force for a few weeks now, and we've already had several situations where it's been questioned. This morning we even had a thread vanish in thin air...

It's clear that there are many legitimate cases of people posting for sale adverts on behalf of others.

Furthermore, this rule would likely not have prevented the original problem as an ill-intentioned person could simply lie or at least omit saying they don't own the game. Remember in the Hull situation, the seller did have the game in his property - it just wasn't his.

To summarise, in my opinion:
  • This rule does not effectively prevent the (rare) deception in response to which it was made.
  • This rule does prevent other (less rare) legitimate adverts.
Thus I believe that it is not the right solution to the problem at hand.

My suggestion, for what it's worth, would be that people should be allowed to put games for sale on behalf of others, however they must not be further involved in the transaction -- i.e. acting as a facilitator to make initial contact but no involvement beyond.

So this rule has been in force for a few weeks now, and we've already had several situations where it's been questioned. This morning we even had a thread vanish in thin air...

It's clear that there are many legitimate cases of people posting for sale adverts on behalf of others.

Furthermore, this rule would likely not have prevented the original problem as an ill-intentioned person could simply lie or at least omit saying they don't own the game. Remember in the Hull situation, the seller did have the game in his property - it just wasn't his.

To summarise, in my opinion:
  • This rule does not effectively prevent the (rare) deception in response to which it was made.
  • This rule does prevent other (less rare) legitimate adverts.
Thus I believe that it is not the right solution to the problem at hand.

My suggestion, for what it's worth, would be that people should be allowed to put games for sale on behalf of others, however they must not be further involved in the transaction -- i.e. acting as a facilitator to make initial contact but no involvement beyond.
Is there a middle ground?

Member wants to provide a service to a friend or customer? Sure, but it's an off forum introduction. It's not a pin for sale, no pics, just an introduction. These could be in a separate section warnings all over? Perhaps a price per listing, a bit like a newsagent window. After two weeks it disappears.

Also a disclaimer, it goes sour, the person who created the listing has details passed to authorities.

-----

Would I buy from someone like this? Yes, but it would be cash on the glass only.

This morning we even had a thread vanish in thin air...
The fact that the thread was posted from a member who had only joined today, was quoting their friend might have some machines to sell and wanted valuations absolutely stunk of a scam, or at least trying to circumvent signing up and paying to place a For Sale thread and phish for offers to be made by PM was the reason why rather than engaging I simply highlighted it to the mods rather than give extra publicity and gain more views.

It seems that they had a similar opinion.

And the rule was only implemented (correctly) to protect Pin'Info for should something go legal and the law come knocking.

But that was already explained, I'm sure all those who took the time to read it would agree with the rule.

The fact that the thread was posted from a member who had only joined today, was quoting their friend might have some machines to sell and wanted valuations absolutely stunk of a scam, or at least trying to circumvent signing up and paying to place a For Sale thread and phish for offers to be made by PM was the reason why rather than engaging I simply highlighted it to the mods rather than give extra publicity and gain more views.

It seems that they had a similar opinion.

If it's the one that has automatically appeared in the moderation queue (software decision - not manual!).......

It was a thread from a new member (joined this morning), looking to sell/a valuation of two machines, posted in the "newbie" forum - therefore circumventing most rules around sales etc altogether....
User says they have been active for 10+ years on UKVAC, however I could say that... Ive had an account there for donkeys, however probably 30 posts...

Thought the whole purpose of requiring a site donation to post for sale ads was to deter scammers, the reason this new rule was introduced was because a scammer(sorry, legitimate businessman) hid behind a respectable members profile to make sales, thereby avoiding any awkward questions as to the ownership of the machines, which had he placed the ads himself ran the risk of being seen by the legitimate owners. £10 to sell as many machines worth thousands of pounds as you own, and provide a level of traceability for the purchaser, if someone isn’t willing to do that there are other sites available.

Back
Top Bottom