What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UKPinfest - Pinfest 2022 Competition

if you swap the cards they automatically downgrade and upgrade if need be - but they have decided to give Scorbit a miss this year as DTM isn't setup for it.

Cheers,
Neil.

Sorry for all the grief, but yeah it's all a bit too last minute to add Scorbit (and the complications thereof). Much appreciate the offer though Neil

Now live, just waiting for Classics Comp to finish then the Mains will begin

Thanks so much to Wayne, Paul and all the score keepers, all those that allowed there machines to be used in the comp. It was a massive success again. Tim as always knocked it out of the park. You guys really run a professional gig and we massively appreciate all the effort that go in, it was amazing to see how busy it was this year. Well done to all the finalists and esspecially well done to Andy for taking home both the main and the classics. Not a bad days work mate, 2 bags of sand isn't too bad at all 😊

Big massive thank you to all who helped the organise the competitions over the weekend there were run superbly. As a first timer to pinfest and competitions in general I was very impressed with the professionalism of the whole thing. No doubt thanks to a lot of work behind the scenes. I enjoyed watching the live stream back this morning. Thank you everyone.

Big massive thank you to all who helped the organise the competitions over the weekend there were run superbly. As a first timer to pinfest and competitions in general I was very impressed with the professionalism of the whole thing. No doubt thanks to a lot of work behind the scenes. I enjoyed watching the live stream back this morning. Thank you everyone.
Congrats Alan.
Good to see someone relatively new to competition do so well. 👍

I have a question about tickets and submissions. When you start a ticket, play the first game, get a bad score and then tell the scorekeeper to scrap the ticket, it seems that that that ticket was never started. The score isn't recorded and doesn't affect the scores for that machine. Is that allowed? I know you can abandon a ticket but surely the games played so far in that ticket should count and that ticket be recorded in the player's history? I have been watching back some streaming from qualifying and have seen lots of games on Fish Tales especially that are not to be seen on that player's records on neverdrains.com.

It would be good to see how many tickets people start not just finish. I suspect some players were spending a lot on tickets that disappeared from existence after a bad first game.

I played 6 tickets and submitted all scores but I cant prove I didn't start 30 tickets and void 24 of them.

So are tickets being submitted (or not) as they should be according to rules of this tournament.

And yes I am salty about not qualifying...😭😋

Voiding your entry has been a long established part of competitive play, more so in the states than Europe but nowadays most large events allow this.

The whole point of voiding your game/ticket is so that the score isn't recorded.
It adds an extra element of strategy to your machine choices.

I can go in to further detail of different scenarios where it is beneficial to void your ticket, if anyone is interested further (just not tonight)

OK thanks for clearing that up. It's a shame that we cant see the number of tickets started because it's far more impressive if someone gets a good qualifying ticket from one of their initial four than if they spent £100 or more on additional tickets. Not a fan of this format for that reason. Its one thing buying your way to more chances but another to be able to hide the evidence.

I don't mean to criticise those who may have been buying a few or even lots of extra goes; you were playing by the rules but I struggle to see how this format is anything but unfair to everyone other than the best players who always play well and those willing and able to spend enough to help them qualify.

Are there any other 'sports' or competitive hobbies that use this kind of 'pay to play' format? It would certainly be interesting to see Manchester City getting to retake a missed penalty after paypalling £5000 to the FA.

OK thanks for clearing that up. It's a shame that we cant see the number of tickets started because it's far more impressive if someone gets a good qualifying ticket from one of their initial four than if they spent £100 or more on additional tickets. Not a fan of this format for that reason. Its one thing buying your way to more chances but another to be able to hide the evidence.

I don't mean to criticise those who may have been buying a few or even lots of extra goes; you were playing by the rules but I struggle to see how this format is anything but unfair to everyone other than the best players who always play well and those willing and able to spend enough to help them qualify.

Are there any other 'sports' or competitive hobbies that use this kind of 'pay to play' format? It would certainly be interesting to see Manchester City getting to retake a missed penalty after paypalling £5000 to the FA.

Poker is what the card format is similar to. A lot of tournaments involve some sort of rebuy element, or just your usual cash games - actually thinking about it. You weigh up how good a player you are with how much you are willing to invest/play. Or, just because you enjoy it and want to pay/play more.

Last edited:

I wondered about that also as I thought DTM showed how many voided tickets.

I think I spent £100 maybe £120, I think I had 3 entries I didn't use. But its all good for the winners, and a lot of different people cashing in this year which was ace to see.

Being able to generate cash is crucial so better events can be run so I expect to see more of this rather than less.

I like this format, as well as so many other formats which are single entry.

I don't see it too different to being ablento discard 2 of your results out of 6 for a league season. The players who can make all 6 meets have an advantage over those who can only make 4, or a format where ypu play 10 games and your best 7 count. It's definitely harder to put 3 games together on the same card rather than just a single game where you can rebuy and go again (the format for the classics this year).

But I don't think it means that you can buy your way to the knockouts through deep pockets. There weren't many surprises as to who made the knockout stages, and certainly not who made the finals. Every player who progressed had played well and fully deserved their finishing position.

If you are a player of 'limited skill' no amount of entries will get you through.

As for seeing the voids per player, or even total, that's something @Wizcat and I were a little surprised at. It may be there, but we couldn't find it. We could see the total number of entries bought. I suppose we could then count how many entries were submitted and therefore calculate the total of voided/unused tickets, but that's for a later date.

I like this format, as well as so many other formats which are single entry.

I don't see it too different to being ablento discard 2 of your results out of 6 for a league season. The players who can make all 6 meets have an advantage over those who can only make 4, or a format where ypu play 10 games and your best 7 count. It's definitely harder to put 3 games together on the same card rather than just a single game where you can rebuy and go again (the format for the classics this year).

But I don't think it means that you can buy your way to the knockouts through deep pockets. There weren't many surprises as to who made the knockout stages, and certainly not who made the finals. Every player who progressed had played well and fully deserved their finishing position.

If you are a player of 'limited skill' no amount of entries will get you through.

I don't agree on the comparison to the classics format. I think it's much harder to get first or second highest score on one game than have 3 games which 2 can be mediocre and 1 can be great which can be enough to qualify if it's top 24.

Sure I could keep paying to play Locomotion or TX as I know them well but a good player could still buy one extra ticket and get one of the top two scores much easily.
I know a good player should be doing it more easily but I think you're more likely to qualify with the main comps format than the Classics.

I don't agree on the comparison to the classics format. I think it's much harder to get first or second highest score on one game than have 3 games which 2 can be mediocre and 1 can be great which can be enough to qualify if it's top 24.

Sure I could keep paying to play Locomotion or TX as I know them well but a good player could still buy one extra ticket and get one of the top two scores much easily.
I know a good player should be doing it more easily but I think you're more likely to qualify with the main comps format than the Classics.
The figures don't back that up.

Take a look at Peter's entries for the main comp. He came top on BJ, yet didn't qualify on that ticket due to the other 2 games not being good enough. He had other tickets with 2 top 5 games, but the third let him down.
He qualified for the Classics.

It's MUCH harder to put 3 'better than average' games together rather than a single great game.

(In no way am I putting down the Classics format. I love it as well, I just wish I had the time to enter)

The figures don't back that up.

Take a look at Peter's entries for the main comp. He came top on BJ, yet didn't qualify on that ticket due to the other 2 games not being good enough. He had other tickets with 2 top 5 games, but the third let him down.
He qualified for the Classics.

It's MUCH harder to put 3 'better than average' games together rather than a single great game.

(In no way am I putting down the Classics format. I love it as well, I just wish I had the time to enter)

I suppose it just feels more achievable compared to getting a top 1 or 2 score to qualify. There's absolutely no chance (or maybe a tiny) chance that I could get the highest or second highest score on one of the main comp games. But I could qualify lower and scrape in with the current format.
There were a few qualifiers who I'd consider on par with my skill (depending on game and day of the week).
You get quite a few unexpected players in the main playoffs but I think nearly all of the classics finalists were top players who you'd expect.

Having never seen how the classics comp is run before this year and after both entering myself and helping with the scoring I think it's a good idea to have it run differently for a bit of variety.

Having the top 2 players qualify gives you the option of finding a pin you gel with and then just playing all your entries on that one to keep pushing your score up, and there is no element of competing against your own score like on the main comp if you're not voiding your tickets.

There is also the chance of being 3rd place and qualifying.

From helping with the main comp I didn't see many people voiding their tickets other than a couple of the big players and one player in particular voiding quite a lot.

I did get asked a couple of times about what the point of voiding was and didn't have an answer for them and I think that some of the more casual players who weren't even aware that they could do that.

From what I gather it's a strategy so that you don't end up competing with your own scores as you qualify from the score from your best ticket, so if you say submitted 2 tickets and on one you did really well on 2 games and bad on a 3rd game it could end up being your best scoring ticket but if on your other ticket you played the same game you got the bad score on from the other ticket but got a better score it would mean your overall points for your best ticket would be lower as your bad game would give you less points. Do that a few a few times and you are potentially losing a point for everytime you beat the bad score.

Wayne will correct me if I'm wrong there.

With that you then need to remember how the top 24 were on the Sunday morning, I think that at one point there were at least 4 players on the same score at the bottom of the top 24 so even a single point can make a difference to qualifying or not as it was so close.

What I found frustrating about the format is me having 2 tickets left Sunday morning and trying to get them done meanwhile you've got players who have already qualified in the queue ahead of you and playing the games for practice, often on the sterns for quite a while.
I know this is how it works and you can't do anything about it.

I only bought four, all were terrible but the first two were Sat evening when I was very drunk. Then I got rather sad about it and decided to try again sober in the morning but felt rushed.

It's my fault, I should have had a go on the machines Friday evening and done my tickets Saturday morning, then partied later.

I don't expect to qualify, I'm just not that kind of player, I'm never going to be at the level of the top 20 or 30 in the UK.
I enjoy comps for the social side and fun of it but it's nice to do well. But at the same time Pinfest is like a big social event for me. It's really hard to find the balance.
Just got down because I was bloody atrocious considering where I finished last year which was my first ever competition.

I was just wondering if the scores/positions are available to view online anywhere? I can see entry cards on neverdrains but nothing about the playoffs/finals and there is nothing on the IFPA competition entry...?

I was just wondering if the scores/positions are available to view online anywhere? I can see entry cards on neverdrains but nothing about the playoffs/finals and there is nothing on the IFPA competition entry...?
For the classics as well, would like to see where I came on each table

Screenshot 2022-09-06 092743.png

Ask and you shall receive

IFPA submission has been made and accepted, will be live shortly - according to their email.

Results are up there. Man, I knew that @Buddinblack guy was good, but according to the IFPA he's the 64th best RATED player in the world already...!!

Attachments

• Alan_Budd.png
    Alan_Budd.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 33
Back
Top Bottom