What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK Pinfest Competition

Indeed, it amuses me how much some folks are working out every detail of the score at comps- want a better position, play a better game!

Just had a look... Removing 10 points for each of the first places...

Even doing that only one person would have dropped out the qualifying for the final and thats Mirko Plumari and Keith Burden would have been bumped up

People will always moan about the system used if they don't come where they feel they should and in this case... Wouldn't have made a major lot of difference

1565807743264.png

It would be interesting to see how much difference it does make, although I'd guess the limited number of games on Farfalla, due to mechanical failure, will have had a larger impact.

As an aside, I often run various qualifying results of comps I've ran (I've even approached organisers of larger comps for their data, to get a larger sized sample) through different scoring formats - they rarely make much of a difference to the people who progress, it's more about peoples perception.

You're right! I reran it with no bonus for 1st or 2nd and although made some difference, it wasn't that critical esp for the cut off.

The current standings

Screenshot_20190824-231927_Samsung Internet.jpg

Still an hour and a half of qualifying tomorrow morning. Qualifying finishes at 12:00.

1st prize is currently over £500, and is only set to climb.
The BIGGEST cash prize in UK pinball history

Did anyone spend more than Ben? Ben you must have spent about £90 and still came 57th ?

Neil.

Hopefully he did the 4 for £20 deal! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rich did 1! Epic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@roadshow16 did 4 entries... All 4 would have got him through
@mufcmufc did 3 entries... 2 of the 3 was enough to get through
@Special When Lit did 3 entries... Like Craig all entries enough to get through
@windoesnot did 4 entries... 2 of 4 wasn't enough to get through so reentering was the right thing to do

The numbers don't tell the whole story, I think Rich did 2 entries but voided the 2nd. Him, myself and Craig played the further entries to practice the games we hadn't already played (and we'd all bought 4 anyway). Pretty sure Wayne qualified on his 1st entry too

I'll publish all the data over the coming weeks, once things have settled down, and everyone has recovered a bit.

It's not just about qualifying, but also about getting practice on machines you may play later in the comp. It encourages the 'better' players to contribute more to the prize pot

18 Entries... £10 for the first... £5 for everyone after... Thats a cool £95...

It did seem excessive I agree... all valuable practise though... though I don’t regret it I should really be a lot stricter on my entries next time.

That aside all that practise contributed to my all time PB on junk yard at over 17 million! Head over to the high score thread to see a pic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It did seem excessive I agree... all valuable practise though... though I don’t regret it I should really be a lot stricter on my entries next time.

That aside all that practise contributed to my all time PB on junk yard at over 17 million! Head over to the high score thread to see a pic.

The main thing is that you (and everyone else who attended) enjoyed the weekend as a whole, the different comps that were running, the one off machines built by people at home, the machines you'd never seen before, the machines you remember playing years ago, setting new high scores, meeting up with old friends, making new friends. That is what the whole weekend is about.

A massive thanks to @Big Phil for putting on the show and risking his own money, to all of his crew and helpers, to the NLP guys for not only helping everyone unload and load machines, keeping games running, but also bringing a truckload of games, to @pinballmania for also keeping the games running and the help and advice he gave me, to @strobey for streaming almost the whole time the show was open (the amount of kit required is ridiculous), to @Wizcat without whom the main competition just wouldn't have happened, to the numerous people who helped with the scoring, to all the people who pledged machines for the comp, and those who brought games for the main show, to those people who ran further comps throughout the weekend.

I've possibly missed a few people, I apologise if I have, but it was a great weekend and I hope everyone enjoyed themselves.

PS Get ready for an announcement in the coming weeks of another pinball weekend coming soon😁

I noticed Ben in the competition area a lot over the weekend. @Benleigh250 you have a LOT of passion and heart. If the competition was based on that alone, you would have won.

Keep practising man. Watch the good players. Try to emulate how they play. Watch the twitch streams for tips.

Next year, practise on the free play machines. Enter the competition a few times, If you're not in the top 30, as tough as it may sound, admit defeat. You're not quite up to the mark. Keep practising and playing. But most of all, enjoy it.

@Benleigh250 , I salute your man. You have a fantastic enthusiasm and love for the silver ball. Thanks for attending and your support.

I noticed Ben in the competition area a lot over the weekend. @Benleigh250 you have a LOT of passion and heart. If the competition was based on that alone, you would have won.

Keep practising man. Watch the good players. Try to emulate how they play. Watch the twitch streams for tips.

Next year, practise on the free play machines. Enter the competition a few times, If you're not in the top 30, as tough as it may sound, admit defeat. You're not quite up to the mark. Keep practising and playing. But most of all, enjoy it.

@Benleigh250 , I salute your man. You have a fantastic enthusiasm and love for the silver ball. Thanks for attending and your support.

Thanks very much @Big Phil. I look forward to the next event! I’ll get there eventuality!

Made it through to the last 16 in the NBA comp though

Huge thanks to everyone that competed, and many thanks for the positive comments both in person and on the forums. It does take a huge team effort for things like this, and I probably should have done a better job of thanking people when I had the opportunity with the microphone, but I'm not great at speaking in front of a crowd!

Obviously @Wayne J deserves crazy respect. A very experienced TD is essential for a high quality event, and I'm confident that the few big decisions that needed to be made were the correct ones with the knowledge that we had at the time. The timing of the finals was pretty much spot on with the closing of the event which a few people noticed and were thankful for, and that's not just by luck.

Tim and his crazy amount of streaming gear. Such a professional and I'm so very glad for his passion about this. Already talking of little tweaks for next year to improve the experience for everyone.

Everyone that helped with scorekeeping. Roger and Graeme for helping me key in a crazy amount of scores when the software came back up. Even @Big Phil himself got involved at a few points.

Peter the electrician who we had to disturb on his Sunday breakfast just to help shuffle things around to create more space for Sunday qualifying and finals. There's probably loads of instances like that of little things that no-one would notice, but yet it takes quite a bit of team effort to create.

Karl De Angelo, who will most likely never see this, but is responsible for the fantastic Never Drains software. A few people commented on how slick it was, and of course I agree.

My fellow NLP guys, Andy Netherwood, Scottish Pinball, all the pinloaners.. So many other people are required for events like this, and like a stack of cards, all are essential to it's success.

And of course the Big man himself - Phil. Great to see an organiser so passionate and willing to take risks on huge events like this. Here's to many more years and successful events. :clap:

Last edited:
Just bumping this up to the first page, so that people with questions about the comp can read what it's about and some of the reaction from last time.

Just bumping this up to the first page, so that people with questions about the comp can read what it's about and some of the reaction from last time.

Thanks! Very useful for me, although I don't expect to be anywhere near top 24 it'll be a great way to see how far I have to go😂 I don't think I'll do a @Benleigh250 though! Maybe I'll max out at £30 contributed to the prize 😂

Will you be making another thread like this with the updates and comp machines listed?

Comp machines are already listed on page 1 of the machine donation thread - 9 out of 10 have been confirmed already

Don't suppose you'll be geared up for card payments for the comps will you - hardly carry any cash around with me any more, will have to be a special trip to the bank.

There's no card payments but I guess at a push, you could paypal the money to me and I'll give the relevant people the cash.

Back
Top Bottom