What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK Pinfest Competition

Wayne J

Site Supporter
Alias
WWJ
As we're just 4 weeks away and the UK Open is finished, it's time to give some details of the competition being held at Pinfest this year.

The competition will be an unlimited ticket entry format - as previously seen in the UK at Manchester Play Expo a couple of years ago, as well as previous PAPA comps, and many classic comps across Europe. It is a tried and tested format if somewhat unfamiliar in the UK.

For a single ticket entry you will play any 3 of 10 machines in the qualifying bank. Each score will be ranked against ALL other scores on that machine, the 3 scores totalled give your entry score. You can enter as many times as you wish, by buying additional ticket, but only your highest scoring entry will count.

The top 24 people will qualify for the finals, with the top 8 getting a bye through the first round.

The finals will be played best of 3 on the same machines used in qualifying (this is to encourage people already qualified to play the other games they are likely to encounter in the finals), until 4 players are left who will play a final consisting of 3 x 4 player games.
During the route through the finals, all games are pre selected and no players will play the same machine twice.

The initial registration and entry ticket is £10, with further additional tickets just £5.
As an initial bonus 4 tickets can be bought for £20. (effectively guaranteeing 12 games for £20)

All of the entry money will be returned as prize money using the following split (rounded to the nearest £5)

1st - 35%
2nd - 20%
3rd - 15%
4th - 10%
5th - 5%
6th - 5%
7th - 5%
8th - 5%

The prizes will be updated and displayed throughout the comp on a screen.

The 10 games will be chosen from all eras :

Game 1 : Aerosmith - donated by @Courtney Blush
Game 2 : Iron Maiden - donated by @Wayne J
Game 3 : Creature from the Black Lagoon - donated by @Matt Vince
Game 4 : HighSpeed 2 - donated by @Telboy
Game 5 : World Poker Tour - donated by @Wayne J
Game 5 : Roadshow - donated by @DanLewell
Game 6 : Total Nuclear Annihilation - donated by Ad Jonker
Game 8 : F14-Tomcat - donated by @Telboy
Game 9 : BlackJack - donated by @Telboy
Game 10 : Circus - donated by @Biff

Last edited:
The initial registration and entry ticket is £10, with further additional tickets just £5.
As an initial bonus 4 tickets can be bought for £20. (effectively guaranteeing 12 games for £20)

So if you pay £20 instead of £10 at your initial registration you get 4 entries instead of 1?

Probably a day question but do you pick which one of your tickets to submit at the end or have to choose to submit our not then move to a fresh ticket. Ie can't go back to a previous better one.

Probably a day question but do you pick which one of your tickets to submit at the end or have to choose to submit our not then move to a fresh ticket. Ie can't go back to a previous better one.
You can only have 1 ticket live at a time. I.e. the first 3 games you play will make up 1 ticket.
ALL of your completed tickets are entered, and each of the games making up that ticket.
However only your best scoring ticket will count in your final qualifying position.

You can however void a ticket altogether if your first or second game is that bad you don't see the point in continuing and would rather start a new ticket.

I believe it will be NeverDrains for the qualifying @Wizcat is sorting that.

Microsoft Excel bespoke spreadsheet I wrote for the finals.

That worked well for the UK classics. I still have my software log in details from the classics. Would it be helpful if I brought these with me to daventry? Or will a new log on be generated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can however void a ticket altogether if your first or second game is that bad you don't see the point in continuing and would rather start a new ticket.

Hmmm, I can see this getting expensive!

Just checking if you'll be publishing 'average' score per entry - points earned divided by number of tickets? Asking for a friend...

Hi,

Sorry if daft question but presumably the knockout stages will be Sunday afternoon, so it'll be fine to do the ticket qualifying Sunday morning??

Thanks,

Hi,

Sorry if daft question but presumably the knockout stages will be Sunday afternoon, so it'll be fine to do the ticket qualifying Sunday morning??

Thanks,
Yes. There will be qualifying on the Sunday morning from 10:00 until 12:00 - with the finals starting at 13:00.

However, I would think that there is the possibility of queues through that period with people making a last dash to qualify.

Hmmm, I can see this getting expensive!

Just checking if you'll be publishing 'average' score per entry - points earned divided by number of tickets? Asking for a friend...
Not sure it'll be possible to get that information, certainly not on the day. I'll go through all of the data after the comp and see if there's anything interesting/useful to publish. Names will be removed to protect the innocent.

You can grab all the data from DTM via the website and do that yourself not hard with a few lines of Perl.

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The creature that is in the line up has the bug fix code on it from Soren in case there are any wise guys ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That worked well for the UK classics. I still have my software log in details from the classics. Would it be helpful if I brought these with me to daventry? Or will a new log on be generated?

Very late reply, apologies - but you'll get a new player number and password when you register. After that though you'd be very welcome to do the self queuing thing.

I'll put some basic text on the scorecards that are handed out at registration explaining how players can virtually queue themselves onto games or look at the standings via the web app. Anyone that has used DTM/NeverDrains before will be familiar, but for those that haven't - it's really simple to use. And if all else fails or you're a bit of a technophobe, you can just speak to me or anyone on the tournament team to request we queue you onto a game or whatever.

Very late reply, apologies - but you'll get a new player number and password when you register. After that though you'd be very welcome to do the self queuing thing.

I'll put some basic text on the scorecards that are handed out at registration explaining how players can virtually queue themselves onto games or look at the standings via the web app. Anyone that has used DTM/NeverDrains before will be familiar, but for those that haven't - it's really simple to use. And if all else fails or you're a bit of a technophobe, you can just speak to me or anyone on the tournament team to request we queue you onto a game or whatever.

Thanks I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it and will ask if I get stuck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hope the software's not identical to the scoring used for UK Open Classics as seemed way too skewed to 1st and 2nd with the 100 and 90 points then 85, 84, 83 etc IMHO?

You can grab all the data from DTM via the website and do that yourself not hard with a few lines of Perl.

Perl? Is it the 1990s already? ;)

Seriously, though, can you go into more detail for this numpty, please? DTM, Whassat? via the website - the pinfest website? From a later reply DTM/NeverDrains - is this an Android app? Can't find it in the app store.

Regards, Stewart

It's adjustable. We're planning to use 100, 95, 90, 89, 88

Which mathematically won’t really have a huge impact on this format. - Greg I will run the score with a less aggressive format on the classic, I bet it makes almost no difference to the results. I personally think there should be a reward for the better players... The scoring default is what nearly every tournament in the US uses.

Perl? Is it the 1990s already? ;)

Seriously, though, can you go into more detail for this numpty, please? DTM, Whassat? via the website - the pinfest website? From a later reply DTM/NeverDrains - is this an Android app? Can't find it in the app store.

Regards, Stewart

Spoken like a true python “coder” LOL

DTM is software for managing the score. It’s a website. You can look at the UK Open Classics from last month at:

UK Open Classic

It’s simple and you don’t need to worry about it; it takes care of itself.

Neil.

- Greg I will run the score with a less aggressive format on the classic, I bet it makes almost no difference to the results
It would be interesting to see how much difference it does make, although I'd guess the limited number of games on Farfalla, due to mechanical failure, will have had a larger impact.

As an aside, I often run various qualifying results of comps I've ran (I've even approached organisers of larger comps for their data, to get a larger sized sample) through different scoring formats - they rarely make much of a difference to the people who progress, it's more about peoples perception.

Back
Top Bottom