What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Twilight Zone Providing two balls in the shooter lane

wbk

Registered
Alias
wbk
Twilight Zone Providing two balls in the shooter lane
I've got an issue, when ball 1 is locked, two balls are thrown in the shooter lane.
This conitues to happen as long as ball 1 is locked. I've checked all the direct and potentially switches, the all work fine. When ball 1 is locked it is recognized and diesplayd Ball 1 locked. But then two balls are provied into the shooter lane. Also Powerball dedection works very well, I've got the 'PROXIMITY DETECTOR MODUL for TWILIGHT ZONE TROUGH SENSOR' board installed, which works very well.

Any clue/help is very appreciated.
Many thanks
Here is the list of switches that I checked and they all work fine

Switch# Description
84 Lock Center
85 Lock Upper
88 Lock Lower
15 Right Trough
16 Center Trough
17 Left Through
18 Outhole
25 Far Left Through
26 Through Proximity

Have you got the correct amount of balls in it
Maybe worth going in to the menu and removing all the balls and starting from scratch to let it load up the gumball machine also make sure you test the trough switches with balls in the correct sequence and in position not just by pressing them down

Is TZ opto or microswitch trough?

I was having double ball shooter Lane issues on creech due to the microswitches rubbing on the side wall of the trough bracket. Because they didn't turn off immediately due to the friction, the game assumed the balls hadn't moved and tried again. I've also read that the lever mech in position 1 that adds the ball to the lane, if unaligned properly, can cause problems if its hitting one of the switch arms. Bending it slightly can help, although this wasn't my issue.

Reactions: DRD
Have you got the correct amount of balls in it
Maybe worth going in to the menu and removing all the balls and starting from scratch to let it load up the gumball machine also make sure you test the trough switches with balls in the correct sequence and in position not just by pressing them down
Hi Chris

Yes, I have the correct amount of balls. I did the test, removing all balls and then reloading, including the Gumball machine. I've also tested the switches with balls not just by pressing them down manually. The strange thing is, it happens ONLY as long as ball 1 is locked. When no ball or two balls are locked everything works just fine.

You are 100% sure this can only be replcated with a ball locked. Does it explicitly kick out two balls? It could be just a simple magnetised ball issue, presenting in this manner, but it sounds like you have tested with rigour to confirm it isn't.

Is TZ opto or microswitch trough?

I was having double ball shooter Lane issues on creech due to the microswitches rubbing on the side wall of the trough bracket. Because they didn't turn off immediately due to the friction, the game assumed the balls hadn't moved and tried again. I've also read that the lever mech in position 1 that adds the ball to the lane, if unaligned properly, can cause problems if its hitting one of the switch arms. Bending it slightly can help, although this wasn't my issue.
Hi
It's microswitch, they seem to work fine. This error only occurs when ball 1 is locked. If not ball or two balls are locked, everything works just fine, so I assume it's not related to the microswitches in the trough bracket. But I still have no idea what the could be the connection of ball 1 being locked and then two balls shoot to the shooter land

You are 100% sure this can only be replcated with a ball locked. Does it explicitly kick out two balls? It could be just a simple magnetised ball issue, presenting in this manner, but it sounds like you have tested with rigour to confirm it isn't.
Hi James
Yes, as far as my tests go, I can reproduce the error only when 1 ball is locked. What I did not check is magnetised ball, but this seems unlikely to me, as I can always reproduce the error with one ball locked, and which balls are in the trough bracket is absolutely random

In switch edge test take a picture of the switch matrix with three balls in the trough and none locked. Then place one of the three trough balls into the lock and take another picture of the switch matrix. Post them here.

Maybe try resetting the ribbon cables, fixes some unexplainable faults.
Trough opto board fault can shoot out extra balls but if it only happens when ball 1 locked maybe it only happens with 2 balls in the trough?
Normlly only 3 balls in trough I think or 2 with one in play.

Hi
It's microswitch, they seem to work fine. This error only occurs when ball 1 is locked. If not ball or two balls are locked, everything works just fine, so I assume it's not related to the microswitches in the trough bracket. But I still have no idea what the could be the connection of ball 1 being locked and then two balls shoot to the shooter land

It could still be the trough, in that the issue only occurs on the switch that became the 'last ball' when one ball is locked (ie one less ball in the trough)

In switch edge test take a picture of the switch matrix with three balls in the trough and none locked. Then place one of the three trough balls into the lock and take another picture of the switch matrix. Post them here.

Wot Andy said.

The look switch seems to work correctly, also in play, when I lock 1st Ball, it is displayed: Ball 1 locked

Attachments

• 2BallsinTrough_1_Ball_Locked.jpg
    2BallsinTrough_1_Ball_Locked.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 47
  • 3BallsinTrough_NO_Ball_Locked.jpg
    3BallsinTrough_NO_Ball_Locked.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 46
Looks like it is not seeing the ball at lower lock with a ball resting there. Switch May work with finger but it’s not showing closed in your static picture.

Also the state of the switch next to it has changed. Does switch state 98 change when you press lock lower switch 88?

It could still be the trough, in that the issue only occurs on the switch that became the 'last ball' when one ball is locked (ie one less ball in the trough)
Good point, thank you, so I have to check this 'last ball' switch again

Yes, not necessarily whether it works, but instead how fast it turns off when a ball is released from it.

Looks like it is not seeing the ball at lower lock with a ball resting there. Switch May work with finger but it’s not showing closed in your static picture.

Also the state of the switch next to it has changed. Does switch state 98 change when you press lock lower switch 88?
Am I reading the matrix wrong? To me it seems correct. Lock lower, and Left Trogh, I've marked them in the picture. Or I slipped in the column?

Attachments

• 2BallsinTrough_1_Ball_Locked.jpg
    2BallsinTrough_1_Ball_Locked.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 3BallsinTrough_NO_Ball_Locked.jpg
    3BallsinTrough_NO_Ball_Locked.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 16
Yes. You’re right. I’m reading it wrong again. It’s because I’m flipping through things on my phone and getting columns confused.

Isn’t this error cause by that proximity sensor opto down near the trough? I’m sure I had this prob in mine
How can I test this? For me it seems the it works fine. I have a new (6 month old) Proximity Dedector Board installed. As the original one did not detect the powerball 100% reliable.
And why does this problem only arise when ball 1 is locked? If the proximity sensor was the problem, wouldn't this behavior occur more often and not only when ball 1 is locked?
I've re-calibrated the proximity sensor and it detects the powerball perfectly

How can I test this? For me it seems the it works fine. I have a new (6 month old) Proximity Dedector Board installed. As the original one did not detect the powerball 100% reliable.
And why does this problem only arise when ball 1 is locked? If the proximity sensor was the problem, wouldn't this behavior occur more often and not only when ball 1 is locked?
I've re-calibrated the proximity sensor and it detects the powerball perfectly

Oh ignore me I forgot that sensor is for the powerball

Have you checked the diodes are all the correct way on the switches ?
The pinball used to work for half a year now, never had this two ball problem, had a few other problems , which I've fixed all, e.g. replace flipper coil etc. but never this two ball behavior. So since I've never touched the switches, I assume yes they are all correct.

The pinball used to work for half a year now, never had this two ball problem, had a few other problems , which I've fixed all, e.g. replace flipper coil etc. but never this two ball behavior. So since I've never touched the switches, I assume yes they are all correct.
Ahhh, never assume Sir !

Also do not test the switches by rolling your finger over, best to put a ball in the lock physically.

Could it be a physical thing rather than electronic?

Is the shooter kick out solenoid firing once or twice when it incorrectly ejects 2 balls ?

If only 2 balls are in the ball trough (as one is locked), there is less weight pressing down on the shooter kick out solenoid

Might the problem be a misaligned kick out mech ? Loose mech ?

Or, the middle ball trough microswitch might be slow to release- this happens if the screws securing it are installed too tightly

Last edited:
Ahhh, never assume Sir !

Also do not test the switches by rolling your finger over, best to put a ball in the lock physically.
I know assume nothing :) . Yes I've tested the switches with balls as well. The screenshots in previous posts were made using the balls, having a real ball in the lock and in the ball trough

Last edited:
Could it be a physical thing rather than electronic?

Is the shooter kick out solenoid firing once or twice when it incorrectly ejects 2 balls ?

If only 2 balls are in the ball trough (as one is locked), there is less weight pressing down on the shooter kick out solenoid

Might the problem be a misaligned kick out mech ? Loose mech ?

Or, the middle ball trough microswitch might be slow to release- this happens if the screws securing it are installed too tightly
>Is the shooter kick out solenoid firing once or twice when it incorrectly ejects 2 balls ?
By firing, are you referring to mechanically kicking out two balls? If you referring to that, then yes: It is really firing twice and the pause in between is around 1 second.
>Might the problem be a misaligned kick out mech ? Loose mech ?
I can check that, last time I had a look seemed ok, but I can double check
>Or, the middle ball trough microswitch might be slow to release- this happens if the screws securing it are installed too tightly
I can check that as well. Last time I checked them manually all the trough microswitches seemed to mechanically work the same

Back
Top Bottom