What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Twilight Zone problem: EVERY ball detected as Powerball

wbk

Registered
Alias
wbk
Since yesterday, every ball is recognized as a Powerball.The error came gradually. For 2-3 games, about every 3rd metal ball would be falsely detected as a power, then every ball: both metal balls and the ceramic ball. Now every metal ball is falsely detected as a power ball. I replaced the original TROUGH PROXIMITY (EDDY) SENSOR board with a new better one half a year ago. I recalibrated this one again and it seems to be working fine. When there is a metal ball in the Right Trough (Switch 15), the red diode on the board lights up, but not with the ceramic ball. So this works correctly and as designed.
So up to and with the Eddy Sensor everything seems to work correctly. Nevertheless, for the CPU every ball seems to be a powerball. I currently have no idea what this could be due to. Thanks for any hints.

Mine did this and it was one of the chips on the board to eddy sensor that sends a signal to the switch matrix I think.

Mine did this and it was one of the chips on the board to eddy sensor that sends a signal to the switch matrix I think.
Thank you for your anwer: Do you remember, was the metall ball correctly detected, meaning the red LED was on? On my board this is the case, so I suppose the board itself is working correclty, what do you think? So could it be that after the ball dedection, sending the signal goes wrong? And if so any idea how I can test that. Else I have to buy a new board and replace it, although the board is only 6 month old.

Thank you for your anwer: Do you remember, was the metall ball correctly detected, meaning the red LED was on? On my board this is the case, so I suppose the board itself is working correclty, what do you think? So could it be that after the ball dedection, sending the signal goes wrong? And if so any idea how I can test that. Else I have to buy a new board and replace it, although the board is only 6 month old.
which board did you buy? It's a crying shame Pinbits stopped responding to any stimulus other than raw orders, because their auto-eddy board was second to none.

I had a similar issue after stripping my TZ. Bit of a fiddle re-aligning so it detects the metal balls correctly. If it doesn't detect a metal ball it assumes a powerball present. The led does light if it detects a metal ball. I tested mine was working and how far/close from the ball it needed to be by removing it from the bracket and passing the ball by it from a few different distances. Helped me get it aligned properly quite easily.

I had a similar issue after stripping my TZ. Bit of a fiddle re-aligning so it detects the metal balls correctly. If it doesn't detect a metal ball it assumes a powerball present. The led does light if it detects a metal ball. I tested mine was working and how far/close from the ball it needed to be by removing it from the bracket and passing the ball by it from a few different distances. Helped me get it aligned properly quite easily.
For mine seems to detect the powerball the red led lights with metall ball and does not light with ceramic ball. So I have to check next if switch 26 in the switch matrix works. Does anybode know the correc switch position for a metall ball, should switch 26 be open or closed? Thank you.

Everything was was correct (led, metal, ceramic detection) but the board wasn’t outputting correctly.
If you go into switch test and see what it does when you put the metal ball by eddy and led on.

Everything was was correct (led, metal, ceramic detection) but the board wasn’t outputting correctly.
If you go into switch test and see what it does when you put the metal ball by eddy and led on.
Thank you: do you know the correct switch state for switch 26: Should it be open or closed for a metall ball? - Thank you

Can’t remember but it should do something when ball is there or not.

Found my old post:

TZ , my last problem that has been giving grief since I bought it has been the usual powerball proximity sensor set up for the trough.
The coil is a bit beat up but it was sensing all be it very close. It stopped working although the red light was doing its thing.
Hard wired the cables to and from sensor board and fitted a new optocoupler chip u2.
Working now but I had ordered a new board set from Tangles in Australia ready for when it goes wrong again.

Thank you: do you know the correct switch state for switch 26: Should it be open or closed for a metall ball? - Thank you
Switch Matrix Test: Eddy Board is working correctly: When a Metall ball is in the Right Trough, Switch 26 is 'enabled' (closed) in the switch Matrix. With a ceramic ball Switch 26 is open

What he says - I think its Switch 26 you need to focus on

What he says - I think its Switch 26 you need to focus on
Thank you: Switch Matrix Test: Eddy Board is working correctly: When a Metall ball is in the Right Trough, Switch 26 is 'enabled' (closed) in the switch Matrix. With a ceramic ball Switch 26 is open

Switch Matrix Test: Eddy Board is working correctly: When a Metall ball is in the Right Trough, Switch 26 is 'enabled' (closed) in the switch Matrix. With a ceramic ball Switch 26 is open
Yes - so that should be all that is required from the Eddy. You can get a Powerball trip if the underground Eddy has failed - thats switch 57. But the ball would need to pass by that switch to false sense a powerball (ie Piano/slotmachine, gumball eject, etc.)

Problem somewhere else then if that’s all working as it should, another strange problem then.

If it’s a switch/sensor problem somewhere else it should show up on switch test as it will be triggered maybe.

I'll double check on my machine that switch 26 is enabled when a metal ball is present...and can confirm that the switch status is closed when a metal ball is present

Please see the pictures of the Matrix test

Attachments

• CeramicBallInRightTrough.jpg
    CeramicBallInRightTrough.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 25
  • MetallBallInRightTrough.jpg
    MetallBallInRightTrough.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 24
its not clear from your pics - I used Single Switch test, and move the cursor to switch position 26. It actually says Open or Closed for clarity on that test

Please see the pictures of the Matrix test
26 should be closed when metal ball is present, open when powerball is present. Additionally my 55 (Gumball Geneva) is closed otherwise then same (other than the other trough positions).

26 should be closed when metal ball is present, open when powerball is present. Additionally my 55 (Gumball Geneva) is closed otherwise then same (other than the other trough positions).
Please see single switch 26 Trough Proximity test images, Yes that is the case please see attched test images

Attachments

• 26_test_CeramicBall_InRightTrogh.jpg
    26_test_CeramicBall_InRightTrogh.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 26_test_MetallBallInRightTrogh.jpg
    26_test_MetallBallInRightTrogh.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 12
My pic
Please see single switch 26 Trough Proximity test images, Yes that is the case please see attched test images
Yes it is, just confirming it for clarity (it was asked earlier in the thread). Therefore it doesn't look like that is the issue.

Attachments

• 20210105_122134.jpg
    20210105_122134.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 5
My pic

Yes it is, just confirming it for clarity (it was asked earlier in the thread). Therefore it doesn't look like that is the issue.
Thank you for your confirmation. Would you have an idea where to search next for the issue? Thank you

Is the Powerball announced as soon as a ball is delivered to the shooter lane, or after it’s plunged and ends up in the subway?

Is the Powerball announced as soon as a ball is delivered to the shooter lane, or after it’s plunged and ends up in the subway?
The Powerball is announced as soon as a ball is delivered to the shooter lane.

The Powerball is announced as soon as a ball is delivered to the shooter lane.
I've had a good think about this. I'm no expert - but my thoughts are that you've proved that the eddy is working properly (unless there is an intermittant failure?).

Have you tested all switches? It is at least worth checking every switch on the same row and column as switch 26
screenshot-2021-01-06-at-13-01-53-png.129450

Other than a fake switch result - very long shot but maybe its a timing issue between the ball releasing and the position 1 slot being filled with the next ball takes some time? Perhaps that is fooling the TZ into thinking it just sent out a powerball? Does the ball eject fire more than once to get a ball into the shooter lane?

Perhaps post a video of the exact process of ball being loaded into the shooter lane and seeing the powerball announcement couldhelp other suggestions?

A bit of a head scratcher to be honest.

I don't suppose you have "No Powerball" set to YES in the settings, do you? That would simulate a powerball for every second ball regardless of what it was, or whether the gumball machine was actually working or not.

If it’s announcing powerball every time a ball pops out of the trough you would think it’s trough/eddy issue. Odd as usual on this pin.

Back
Top Bottom