What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TOP 5 STERNS PLEASE

Nice idea building a collection like that. The guy I bought by Gold Ball from, @andy, is attempting to put together a complete line-up of Bally's from 1981-82. According to his signature he's doing pretty well!

1981-02 Flash Gordon
1981-04 Eight Ball Deluxe
1981-06 Embryon
1981-06 Fireball II
1981-08 Fathom

1981-09 Medusa
1981-10 Centaur
1981-12 Elektra
1982-02 Vector
1982-05 Mr. & Mrs. Pac-Man Pinball
1982-08 Speakeasy 4
1982-08 Spectrum

1982-10 Baby Pac-Man
1982-11 BMX

1982-12 Eight Ball Deluxe Limited Edition

anoyone played aBMX?Aint seen one at any uk shows??

A little Off topic and I am a completely ****ed after just getting back from the pub, but just discovered my local has a POTC. Completely co-incidence I just voted it my favourite stern the other day on this thread..... Amazing! Haven't been in for 6 months and then there it was randomly sitting there to greet me. The wife cained me on it but I still love it!

I tried updating pin former but it ain't having it. Will try again tomorrow once hangover clears

So happy!!! Made my week!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::confused:

I like RS ! I'd take it over Spiderman, Ironman, Avaturd and prob some others :D

Same here, got iron **** here at the moment and played it maybe four times, mick on a stick ****es all over it, why the love for tron? Snorfest of a game :cuckoo:

The only RS I played was in France, the table was way off being level, maybe its not that bad, hard to judge unless its set up properly.

I also played a Tron at eurodisney, it was next to Elvis but had the sound off, so Elvis seemed the better game. But Tron remains high on my want list, I love the theme, Daft Punk soundtrack and the ramp lights. Can't really rate the gameplay until I've owned one.

I had a tron LE here for a while and the same as you the daft punk soundtrack I love and love the theme, just found the game to be really really dull :( wanted it to be good and also just found the game to be flawed with that stupid gem shot... Nik @mufcmufc had the glass off and rolled the ball around and figured that there has to be a few factors involved I think like it hitting the pop bumpers or rolling at a certain speed for you to have a chance of making it, and had that shot not been as stupidly hard then then game would be stupidly easy. So for that reason and also the annoying call outs I think it's poo :)
But the beauty of this hobby is we all like different games, hey I have a woody for woz at the moment o_O

Maybe I should put a few more games in on Tron before I commit to the high price they go for. But so many Tron owners rave about it. Didn't @chris b say recently it was the only machine he missed after selling so bought it back again?

As for WOZ, I think loads of people got a downer on that after seeing/playing a clunky machine with unfinished code. I played the prototype at NLP last year and hated it, the software was running so slow. But there was also one with a later version, played much better.

So now the code is finished (I think?), I would like to give it another chance.

Mark it's such a different game now dude. And yeah that's what killed it that terrible code it was just pants. Dutch pinball have got it right by not letting people play an unfinished game as people form opinions on incomplete machine

I just hope they don't make the same mistake with the Hobbit, a year is a long time to own a machine with **** code.

There are those that can play Tron, then there are WoZ owners. :)

Seriously though I think all games can be picked apart if you don't own one. That's why I always prefer the opinions of owners rather than just someone who played a game a handful of times. Pinball has got me in a death grip that will probably force me to see the day I enjoy the crap out of a gilligans island! There, I said it........lol.

anoyone played a BMX? Aint seen one at any uk shows??

My old workplace must've had one, since I saw the front cover of the manual and an instruction card amongst the surplus paperwork, but the machine was long gone.

As for play, though, Bally Midway used much the same layout again (with an in-line target bank added, but less a magnet on the upper playfield) on 1987's 'Hardbody'. There was one in Porthcawl fairground, and I quite enjoyed playing it. The crucial thing was timing deployment of the moving 'flexors'; it was a drain monster if you didn't get that right.

Last edited:
I just hope they don't make the same mistake with the Hobbit, a year is a long time to own a machine with **** code.

Surely JJP have to release the hobbit with at least nearly complete code?

They will be launching a machine to coincide with the final film of a trilogy so will need it to be an impressive game and playable

Also would be a major one up on stern

Hmmm, Hobbit released with full code - dream on;)

There's something like 8 weeks until the release deadline (assuming we ignore the initial July 14 deadline that was used to extract money for pre-orders). I admit I know **** all about the process of building a machine but if it was all going to be up and running like clock work by the Dec date then I'd strongly suspect that they would they would have shown something far better than the frankly crap orc and goblin head when they tried to respond to the initial TWD interest last month.

My gut instant is that we'll see a handful of "prototype" machines to allow them to say the machine is ready for the film launch and then the real thing with code will follow later, Hopefully I'll be wrong as the bad code really did kill WOZ for me. Still want to play the Hobbit but I'd rather wait until Easter and play it with decent code than a half ****d version

Still want to play the Hobbit but I'd rather wait until Easter and play it with decent code
you assume a lot there already, John. i really hope they release something in time for the films, but any dreams i may have for pinball's resurgence being launched by a Hobbit pinball in at least a few cinema lobbys in every developed country when this is released ..... are sadly just dreams. what a waste.

i agree with you, i reckon that they will release something unfinished in December, and all it will do is remind people that pinball is a thing that breaks or doesn't work. com e on Jack, prove me wrong? knock it out of the park? but i don't agree that it will have decent code by Easter, i recon Christmas 2015 is more realistic.

some pinball company needs to release a finished pin at the same time as the film it's licensed on, and at the same time as a digital release on TPA and Zen and as many platforms as they can get. that could be the touchpaper.

For me, I've not played all that many new Sterns but from experience of the ones I have played, I think RBION should be up there! Great machines, a bit like a cross between TZ and IJ (at least, that's how it seems to me) and of the machines I've had, that is probably the one I've played most!

Cheers, Mark

Yeah RBION to me is like a best of.

Has a few features that where in other machines. Like the shadow ball lock etc

RBION is high on my list, one came up last month a day or two after I had just bought a TAF.... Typical

AC/DC BIB LE only (!)
Tron / Tron LE
Transformers LE
LOTR

Pushing close:
Metallica POP LE
Star Trek
IM
Spiderman
other AC/DC 's
POTC

Regarding Avatar it is actually harder than the more highly rated IM although the IM wizard mode is on a par with Tron wizard mode and could be seen as being deeper than the Avatar wizard mode.

Funny when I started this thread, LOTR rated higher than AC/DC on Pinside 100, this information was contradictory to the opinion of forum members on here, just went and had a peep today and AC/DC now ranks above LOTR and is the highest ranking Stern on Pinside, looks like it is unanimous, I have seen STLE and CSI make no1 on Pinside only to find their real rating with time, CSI has dropped out of the 100 altogether and AC/DC has slowly established pole Stern position.

What am I missing, I still think my premium is just OK, music is repetitive, flashing led toy on RHS looks naff, moving figures also look naff, RHS out lane obscured, sub pf is at best a gimmick, call outs become annoying esp that canon shot, I do like the fact that you can backflip most shots, lighting (although a blue feature would be nice) and the machine has great SR flow as we have come to expect, why does this pin rate so highly?

It might be that its not a GREAT game on the gameplay on its own, merely a good one with really good music tie-ins. I suspect a lot of people in the pin hobby grew up in the AC/DC 'era' and their fondness of the theme and how well they think it ties in with the pin might push it up a few notches.

I've got to admit, whenever I've played one outside of a show environment (so I can properly appreciate the music) I've really enjoyed it myself - In a show environment its more of a 'ok' pin.

But then, isn't that what makes a great pin in the end - One that ties in everything well : theme, art, playability and sounds? If any one of those is below par then its not a top-end great pin, I reckon.

Playfield art looks like the cover of a teen fan mag, I have been a metal head since 1981 so know AC/DC from back to front, music still gets repetitive, it would probably be great in an arcade but for HUO it's hard going.

There is a level of complexity to the game that most people don't get after only a few plays (so I'm told). I suppose getting a 100M song jackpot with one shot is rather like getting 5x playfield then multiball jackpots on whitewater...

Very challenging game - building up the song jackpot then choosing the right time to cash it in (ie when 3x is lit from the bell) 20 seconds to collect unless you hit the bell again. Gets very intense as the jackpot resets if you lose the ball. And that's just one strategy - another is to go for the encore multiball by completing the jukebox. Only managed a 100k+ song jackpot a couple of times and got no where near encore. I think this machine is more popular with the better players, I just find it incredibly frustating but may buy again if my skills improve!

Back
Top Bottom