What's new

Today I have been waxing!

jww

Site Supporter
No, not my surf board, legs, Balazals or my hand bag :)

After previously cleaning the playfield on my Knockout, tonight I did my first ever wax. I really enjoyed it!

After recommendations used some carnauba wax and new microfiber cloth, dabbed it on and rubbed it in with circular motion. Took about two hours of careful work. First to dab/rub it in to the whole table, then after with clean area of the cloth to buff it up.

It's surprisingly therapeutic and smells good too. It takes ages and a lot of effort but the reward is a beautiful shine and knowing that it's being protected. My table hadn't seen much love in its life judging by appearances, so happy to have done this.

I think I'll give it one more identical session tomorrow time permitting as the playfield was very worn, dry, cracked in a lot of areas but infinitely better after just one session it's amazing.

Sorry for long ramble, just super proud, pleased and amazed at the results! :)

Cheers,

Johnny

Hi Mooseman,

(Am in bed so will double check tomorrow) but I think it's gerliltz no.1.

Hope that's ok? I did check with other pin fans first and that was recommended.

Cheers,

Johnny

Hey Johnny mate, great to hear it turned out well!

Sound like you are really getting into the pinball restoration :)

Hi my friends, Thank you for your help and very kind words. You have really made me feel happy and welcome.

To have such nice comments is very warming, thank you friends :) I promise that Red-5 will stay on target and won't let you or my pinball tables down! I'll put up pictures when I can. I want to give the table another wax tonight and then will put back all the playfield bits I had removed and cleaned recently. Can't wait to say the least!!!!

Cor, I'm a pinhead now :) You don't know how proud that makes me :) *bows*

Cheers,

Johnny

I will be waxing / cleaning for sometime, 2 machines in yesterday ... both dirty!

Grand one - Blitz wax. End of argument :p

Used it for years on my cars and now on my machines.

It's cheap and very effective.

Dunno never used it but they don't like it on pinside
Oh I better throw this nearly full bottle away then :). Seriously it is all I've used so have nothing to compare it with but I see no problem with it. I guess until I try something that's better in some way I won't know.

It's an abrasive cleaner (like novus 2) containing solvents and silicone, but ironically no wax :p

Novus + proper carnauba wax is a much better option.

Actually, any automotive 'glaze' will do a similar job to novus 2.

IE a very mild polishing compound.

Milwax is a cleaner/polish, it actually does a fairly good job of both cleaning and making your playfield look shiney very quickly. It is true however what others have said, that it has no wax in it.

There are people that claim to have been using it as an operator for 50 years with no problems, and there are people that claim it is the nastiest stuff in the universe. That debate is never going to be won

One thing I can tell you for certain is, never drop a bottle of it. They explode into a million pieces and cover your entire house in millwax :rofl:

Reactions: jww
Ok, I'm super exhausted. Today was my penultimate day in my current job which I've been doing for 10 years (senior network engineer).

Here's some sneaky preview pictures of my Knockout table after the first wax I got done last night:

NB: The wear on the playfield was there when I got the table, I don't think I can, or will do anything about that. I just want to fix any faults, clean it up, restore it to 100% authentic parts and then play the smeg out of it!

IMG_1734.jpg IMG_1736.JPG IMG_1739.JPG

It was looking so much better after the full cleaning and first wax although my crappy pictures don't do it justice.

Tonight I've given it a second wax treatment and am super mega happy with it. No pictures of tonights progress as it's dark and I want to do it justice in a proper dedicated thread, given chance.

I've even started putting some of the plastics back and fitting my new rubber set now.

Rather annoyingly it appears that the rubber set is two white little rings short :(

I think this could either be because:

a) the people I bought it from (an ebay seller in Germany) can't count and made a mistake

or

b) my table has had two extra plastic pillars fitted, hence needing two more rubbers.

I'm too tired now to work it out and hunt over pictures of other peoples tables, but will pick this up when I next get chance.

Am not super down about it, as this machine has been a super exciting voyage of learning and it has all been enjoyable, albeit hard work.

More soon in a dedicated thread!

Cheers,

Johnny

Johnny post a picture of the rings you are missing and send me a PM. I have quite a few spares and can easily pop a couple in the post to you if they're common ones.

Oh wow, that's ace, thank you cooldan, that is kind of you. Sure thing, I'll take pictures of the lil-buggers tomorrow and will post them up. You are ace and I like your avatar's boobs too, they are quite mesmerizing ! :) he he

Cheers,

Johnny

That playfield wear seems to be 90% on areas that are just one colour, I think you could do a fairly good job of touching that up if you could get a colour match ( not that I've ever done it myself ).

That playfield wear seems to be 90% on areas that are just one colour, I think you could do a fairly good job of touching that up if you could get a colour match ( not that I've ever done it myself ).
Check out the work @Wizcat did on his Police Force playfield touch up work.

Back
Top Bottom