What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TILT!Audio 1.25 with "red board" is out

No I like innovation ! It would be useful to know more about the differences ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What Pi should I get for this? I realise I have a few options, but what is appropriate? Pi Zero W?

I had a B+ with wifi in mine.
Make sure you have wifi as it makes it easier to setup.

Yeah I looked at the bigger one but I don't need loads of USB ports, full size HDMI, CAT 5 adaptor or 3.5mm jack for sound, so I figured the cut-down version would be better. It'll actually be the Pi Zero WH (Wifi with the header pins on).

And for the install, TiltAudio site says to install DietPi, but I've also got the raspisnd-1.24 image. Which should I use?

And does the Pi get power from the board through the header pins?

Cheers!

You have the option of installing the sound set on a USB stick which you cant do on the Zero.
I never used that option though.
A Zero would be ok.
There was an issue a few versions back where the installation was in need of the Ethernet connection.
But Steve45 has now sorted all this out with a great wifi GUI.

I have a micro to full USB converter so I assume that would work for sounds on the USB stick if there isn't enough space on the card.

DietPI or raspisnd-1.24 image though?

You need a 16gb mini SD for the main setup.
The external is not really necessary but does mean that the mini sd is not touched once setup.
Ive only used the mini sd.
Download the latest large image 1.28 and burn that image onto the mini sd card.
You should be able to run the GUI from that

I have a micro to full USB converter so I assume that would work for sounds on the USB stick if there isn't enough space on the card.

DietPI or raspisnd-1.24 image though?
Just to clarify: you need to use TILT!Audio images and those are based on dietpi.

Dietpi itself won't work

Theres an interesting thought - wonder if this runs on the pi4...
The new Pi4 images is not yet finished, see FAQ on https://tiltaudio.com. not sure if it's the best option though. It really gets hot even when running idle (I bought heatsinks for mine) and it consumes more power compared to Pi3.
So I will do some more testing, but if some likes to support me with testing, just pm me I will get you a prerelease of the image.

/Steve

I've not yet put it in a cab but it sounds good out.
Quicker to boot than Pinsound.
great wifi GUI and now equaliser.
Ive plugged it into the TAF with remote speakers and plays sounds OK
I just need some original sound sets to compare properly.
You do need to descramble the Pinsound files.

Can you use the Pinsound files?

Just bought a kit from Tilt awaiting arrival just a bit concerned where i will get the original sounds from for Getaway. I downloaded them in .WAV format, they play fine on a Computer

Last edited:
Can you use the Pinsound files?

Just bought a kit from Tilt awaiting arrival just a bit concerned where i will get the original sounds from for Getaway. I downloaded them in .WAV format, they play fine on a PC.
They tend to be scrambled but some have worked. The forum has community ones that can also work.
What pinball are you putting it on?

The Getaway , I have downloaded the original sounds and they are in wav format all play on a computer no problem.

You can basically achieve something similar: getting better sound on your machine. I will not going to advertise mine is better than the french thing. Let others judge. Regarding sound packs: there a lot already available on the net and TILT!Audio supports also new altsound format from VPINMAME. Just recently there was a post in the german forum where a new site was announced: altsound.vpin24.com. So you should always have a good sound pack to start with. and with the builtin web ui its really easy to enhance this, just upload a new sound effect or change and existing one.
Br Steve
On altsound.vpin24.com the link is wrong for altsound_bop_l7.zip, it goes to terminator2

Please anybody with questions about an order, please provide an order number. That's why I'm using a shop system
Unfortunately the shop system gave no confirmation email with a order number on it, but all received now Thank You.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the shop system gave no confirmation email with a order number on it, but all received now Thank You.
Not what went wrong with your order, but you should better say "I received no confirmation email". In general you of course get such an email that lists all ordered items, that looks like this 1566481193395.png

Has anyone had any more joy with this unit, built it last week and got some soundsets from steve45, for Getaway HS2 the pi gui works and tests sounds a treat but the sounds are playing at random on the machine. I am thinking maybe I have fried one of the surface mount ICs but not sure the build looks ok under an inspection lamp. I am getting a bit annoyed with it now so it maybe bin time if I don`t sort it out soon, beginning to wish i had shelled out for a Pinsound instead.

Can you provide logfile to look at? Without it's hard to say what may the reason could be.

Of course if the hardware interface does not work, this could result in sound being played at random. Tiltaudio is a diy solution, where one need to solder and setup the board and firmware. If you think this is to challenging, you indeed better got with the French product.

Br Steve

Can you provide logfile to look at? Without it's hard to say what may the reason could be.

Of course if the hardware interface does not work, this could result in sound being played at random. Tiltaudio is a diy solution, where one need to solder and setup the board and firmware. If you think this is to challenging, you indeed better got with the French product.

Br Steve
I've PM you a picture of the build plus a log file ... I don't want to give up on this yet as I like the idea of the self build. The soldering is not challenging it's just I don't know if it was my build or the software I've not got right 😀

I've PM you a picture of the build plus a log file ... I don't want to give up on this yet as I like the idea of the self build. The soldering is not challenging it's just I don't know if it was my build or the software I've not got right 😀
Be a good idea to post a picture of your board. Plus one of the area the IC's are.

Here it is for the group if anyone can help or find it useful.

Attachments

• photo_4913759005010525269.jpg
    photo_4913759005010525269.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 28
  • photo_8135374909832950365.jpg
    photo_8135374909832950365.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 26
  • raspin (1).zip
    22.5 KB · Views: 2
Ive reworked the ICs and the Pi & CPU connectors at work so will be trying again when I get home, not sure what the hot air & soldering temp is doing to these ICs ?

Steve45 can you comment please on the Log files ?

Attachments

• photo_2353131165291363809.jpg
    photo_2353131165291363809.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 24
ok so I have reworked the board and now the sounds are getting better but the sound electric_touch_6.ogg is playing when it feels like in or out of a started game, other sounds are timed ok others are missing. The music changes for some reason on the 2x freeway lane instead of a car horn (hs2). & the music does not stop after the game has ended. I will post a new Log tonight for @steve45 to look at and comment please if possible.

I am curious as to what the codes and folder name codes mean on the sounds are they relevant to requests from the Pinball CPU ?

Can you check that you have the soundcard set as sndrpihifiberry on the GUI settings.

Can you check that you have the soundcard set as sndrpihifiberry on the GUI settings.
I get no sound at all, it has to be set to on board 3.5mm, I have some temp speakers plugged into that socket.

I get no sound at all, it has to be set to on board 3.5mm, I have some temp speakers plugged into that socket.
Ok thats not right . Lets sort that out first.
Take a closeup of the pcb where the DAC is. thats the purple pcb.
Also are you able to view the wifi GUI?

Also pin 3 of U2 does not look well soldered.

Back
Top Bottom