What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Synthesizer Thread

@strobey and @stoptap - are you buying the Behringer 'korg' monopoly?

I had one of these in my parents loft since 1986, so I thought.

Mum threw it out when they had the loft baorded along with my record collection. Also had moog taurus pedals !

The remake for £700 is a must....
Threw it out :oops: . Looking at around £1,700 to buy an original these days.

Ok were cooking...

and holy sh1t this thing sounds good!

Loads of great stock patches in the JV/XP's. Any expansions in it? Been through them all and Vintage Synth and Orchestral II would be my recommendations.

Threw it out :oops: . Looking at around £1,700 to buy an original these days.
erm - and the REST :( Mine was MINT, original boxed. I had no idea. The nice people who did the loft said they'd take it to the tip - I think they googled it (and at the time) - they were going for about a grand on ebay.

My fault really. DO NOT TRUST YOUR FOLKS. :)

As much as I used to hate Behringer being in the music trade (pre the X32 I think most stuff is junk that used an exernal power supply)..... I bought and use an X32 mixer and love the remake/rip off synths.

I just used to love the monopoly. Can not wait to use one again.

WelI I bought a fairly mint one with MIDI a few months ago for £1,650 to replace the one I had to sell years back. Seen them go higher in past but actually lower recently since the Behringer clone came out.... not heard the latter yet to compare but will be interesting to review. The best sounding mono I've had in 35 years of synths, 4 VCO's slightly detuned. fat as ****. Bet those loft clearers were rubbing their hands together, sorry to hear.

Had and still have several Behringer mixers and always been happy with them, but the later ones have better signal to noise ratio. Synthwise, only the Deepmind 12 to date (now gone) but hear good reports on others. Can only be a good thing.... still waiting for the Jupiter 8 clone though if ever.

The Behringer Model D is an absolute steal at just over £200.

Their pricing is pretty amazing... I'm just running out of space, even desk space. I think a demo is in order @stoptap

It is amazing how £1000 can get you so many good modules and a midi keyboard.....
Seems like synth pricing is on its way down
Unlike pinball prices

Last edited:
Reactions: JMP
Loads of great stock patches in the JV/XP's. Any expansions in it? Been through them all and Vintage Synth and Orchestral II would be my recommendations.
Don't think so, no. They seem to cost around £200 is that right?? B'jezus...

Ok so got some of my old midi files loaded but every channel was playing same instrument except percussion.

Then found shift-PERFORM will enable GM.

Not convinsed it sounds quite right tho. I guess I can assign different patches to each channel, but not figured that put yet. Ive got as far as disabling/re-enabling channels.

Wonder if i can patch through cubase rather than the front panel?

Btw that model D youtube demo of Floyd's shine on crazy... wow. Love it

Ok so got some of my old midi files loaded but every channel was playing same instrument except percussion.

Not convinsed it sounds quite right tho. I guess I can assign different patches to each channel, but not figured that put yet. Ive got as far as disabling/re-enabling channels.

Expansions vary on Ebay from £35 up to over £100. Vintage Synth is popular and can be around £120. Orch II probably around £80.

I never play midi files and allocate different instruments to different channels etc. If you know the part, you could record each one as audio track once you've found the right sound for that part, then play the complete finished piece as multi-track audio recordings, then save to WAV file as full mixdown.

GM is pretty crap TBH.
You can setup a performance so that you can assign any of the JV presets to a channel.

This video is old but is great for the JV1080. 48 mins is the start of the Performance explanation.

Aye, the XV3080 has all the patches of the JV2080 which exceeds the JV1080, so more than duplicates really. Loads more expansion too with 2X SRX expansion slots in addition to the four 4X SR-JV80 ones.

Any of you interested in a Korg Wavestation SR with RAM card and manuals? Pad monster 1U rack synth... paid £250 for it but will offer discount to synth geeks on here.

Also got a Casio CZ-1 not yet sold and may sell my Roland JX10 too.... clearing some stuff for hopefully a new Christmas toy.

I seem to have somehow missed all these latest posts. I was just saying to someone today that I've gone to the trouble of putting up acoustic tiles in the new home office but mow realising I have zero time for the hardware synths, so they may be up for sale soon.A5809D3F-7756-457D-B72E-53DB05F106E3.jpeg

Never had a Synth, but had a Midi sound thing for my C64 which allowed me sample farts and burps and play on a mates keyboard guitar.... very 80's :)

Need some pointers.. how the hell do you go about searching for the sound youre after?

I'm playing Pink Floyd's Shine On.. and got the main intro laid out decent using a pair of beating sawtooth waves on the Model D, but im looking for that long deep string/pad sound in the background.

Flicking through patches on a JV3080 nothing sounds right.. any ideas where i can start?

Sounds like a number of big church organs and some high strings? Very floyd-esk. Recognise it on almost every album.

Need some pointers.. how the hell do you go about searching for the sound youre after?

I'm playing Pink Floyd's Shine On.. and got the main intro laid out decent using a pair of beating sawtooth waves on the Model D, but im looking for that long deep string/pad sound in the background.

Flicking through patches on a JV3080 nothing sounds right.. any ideas where i can start?

Sounds like a number of big church organs and some high strings? Very floyd-esk. Recognise it on almost every album.

@JMP

Don't have Spotify so couldn't hear the intro.... but on that first clip, yep organ in there developing into an organ/stringer mix. Many keyboards of the late 70's had this setup with separate organ, string and sometimes brass or synthesizer sections. Your XV3080 should have plenty of organ sounds but if not the right one, then 'Keys of the 60's and 70's' SR-JV80 expansion is most definitely for you. That should also have classic synth stringers in there too to layer on top.... they have a distinctive sound.

There are VST Stringers out there too, UVI do one:

UVI String Machines 2 - Warm Vintage Sounds Revived

Just sold a Yamaha SS-30, that would have been perfect for 'that' string sound you're after. Pricey one-trick pony though.

Last edited:
Great, thanks. I think it might be a Hammond Organ im after, so could be perfect.

Ohhh and that Rider Storm patch.... amazing.

I'll post the results when im done!

The 60's & 70's board is one of the most popular (after vintage synths) so can be difficult to source at a good price. Used to get my expansions from US as cheaper even with postage and duty... that may have changed though.

Great, thanks. I think it might be a Hammond Organ im after, so could be perfect.

Ohhh and that Rider Storm patch.... amazing.

I'll post the results when im done!
nothing emulates the sound of a real hammond organ, but that is indeed what you are looking for.

I've got a Vox now, its the sort of thing that made electronics worth it :D

I have a patch for my Yamaha AN1X that nails Shine On perfectly. It is a split too so the sound you are looking for is on the left and the solo sound is on the right.

Back
Top Bottom