What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Synthesizer Thread

I have a JX08, the only one kept as the increased polyphony is a real bonus and it does sound great as a replacement for the JX8P I used to have.

Never had a Fantom. Did get a Juno X recently though but moving it on as best aspect is the Juno 60 and already have an original. Quality build synth with loads built in though.

I have a JX08, the only one kept as the increased polyphony is a real bonus and it does sound great as a replacement for the JX8P I used to have.

Never had a Fantom. Did get a Juno X recently though but moving it on as best aspect is the Juno 60 and already have an original. Quality build synth with loads built in though.
I tried out a Juno X in the store and it sounds fantastic (the I-Arpeggiator is amazing) but it is more of a players synth and I am crap at playing.
The newer Fantoms have the same engine as the Juno X.

Congratulations on owning a Juno 60. It’s the best Juno IMO. They are getting very expensive now. My JU06A will have to do for the time being.

The workflow on them is so fast. When I first got it I knocked up a cover of Smalltown Boy. Took longer to decide on what sounds to use than it did to record it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMP
Would love to hear some messing around on it
This video is what sold me on getting a Fantom. The guy works for Roland so obviously makes it look very easy but it does give you an idea how quickly you can build a song.

I tried out a Juno X in the store and it sounds fantastic (the I-Arpeggiator is amazing) but it is more of a players synth and I am crap at playing.
The newer Fantoms have the same engine as the Juno X.

Congratulations on owning a Juno 60. It’s the best Juno IMO. They are getting very expensive now. My JU06A will have to do for the time being.

The workflow on them is so fast. When I first got it I knocked up a cover of Smalltown Boy. Took longer to decide on what sounds to use than it did to record it.
I had the JU06A before taking the plunge on an original again, it's a very, very good emulation, just so wish Roland hadn't restricted voices to 4 again like the earlier boutiques. Glad they sorted that for the JX08.

If you like the Juno X the 60 emulation is incredible.

Hey guys
Been pondering getting a synth!
I have no musical background. I have never played keyboards or the like.
I don’t understand the structure of music. I’m totally useless.
I love electronic 80’s music and 90’s trance etc.. and always fancied playing about with something real simple to make some cool sounds. A bit like Ross from friends 😆.
I don’t own a computer. Is there anything simple and cheap you can guys can recommend as a gateway drug.
Ridiculous question but where does the sound come out from. Built in speaker? Or would I need an amp and speakers?
Sorry for the absolute noob questions.
Any recommendations and advice gratefully received. Links to good beginner vids etc..
merry Xmas all.
Gaz

Reactions: JMP
Hey guys
I love electronic 80’s music and 90’s trance etc.. and always fancied playing about with something real simple to make some cool sounds. A bit like Ross from friends 😆.
I don’t own a computer. Is there anything simple and cheap you can guys can recommend as a gateway drug.
Ridiculous question but where does the sound come out from. Built in speaker? Or would I need an amp and speakers?
Any recommendations and advice gratefully received. Links to good beginner vids etc..
merry Xmas all.
Gaz
John @JMP is the man to speak to :thumbs:

Hey guys
merry Xmas all.
Gaz
Hi Gaz,

Good news is there's loads of modern kit available these days to give you those 80's/90's sounds without needing to buy a vintage synth from those decades, with risk of faults and maintenance. Synths generally won't have speakers (with some exceptions see below) and keyboards that do are more 'home keyboards/organs'. Unless you use headphones, you'll need an amp and speakers but best using active monitors (studio speaker set) rather than hi-fi speakers. You don't need to read music or be able to play either really, a synthesizer historically was more about creating a sound of your own from scratch.

Question is, do you want to learn how to program a sound, just recall patches that are already programmed and/or edit them slightly, or all three? Also, whats your budget? I'm guessing you want to call up patches, particularly those that sound 80's / 90's but then have a control panel to edit or change the sound too? Low cost starter synths that may suit are the Roland Boutique range, there are several models designed to recreate classic synths from the 80's/90's, they are very small desktop units and cheap but you would also need a midi keyboard controller to play the sounds. Take a look at JX-08 which is recreation of the 80's JX8P synth, or JU-06A which is a reproduction of the classic Roland Juno 60 used on countless hit records of that decade. Most of these are 4-voice (means you can only play four keys at a time together for chords) but the JX-08 is actually 8 voice which is a bonus. There are also 90's sounding units; JD-08, D50 etc. which recreate the digital synths of the 90's. The JD08 also has a programming interface.

If you want a full size keyboard synth with loads of patches, programming/editing capability and includes recreations of classic synths like Jupiter 8 and Juno 60, take a look at the Roland Juno X (prob around £1,200 SH these days). This will also allow you to lay down drums with bass lines/sequences etc. to play over top (when you get to that stage). It has built in effects too PLUS a built in speaker, but it sounds naff through it and really needs a set of active monitors (Yamaha HS50's for example). This synth includes several of those boutique units mentioned above already built in, plus it's own synth engine.

There are hundreds of other options too, but many might be too complicated for a first synth. Check out Behringer stuff, they've recreated a lot of classic synths and are cheap. Deepmind 6 or 12 for example, or the the Poly D (£350 SH) which is a fantastic recreation of the classic Minimoog (think Gary Numan) but is generally monophonic (one note at a time) and no memories for patches, but is good way to learn subtractive synthesis as the sound creation is laid out from left to right to help learn about oscillators, filters and sound envelopes to create certain sounds.

Anyway, maybe start with something you can just stick your headphones in and have a play around with, then go from there. Just give me or others in here a shout if need any help or pointers to stuff/controllers/cables etc. you may need. I've been buying, using and selling synths for 40 years, so should be able to give you a good idea on good prices for something when you narrow it down.

Here's link to the JX-08 unit I mentioned (currently £268 on Amazon brand new). Forgot to say you can also buy a mini keyboard for it too.... but I would personally recommend a larger size controller keyboard (various sizes) for cheap off Ebay (example also linked).

Amazing John. Thanks so much for that.
I have a home vinyl DJ setup. So have two active monitors and mixer. I do also have an Amp and speaker in the loft. So defo have options.
Would my mixer act as an amp do you think?

That Roland JX-08 looks ideal. I just assumed they all had keyboards!!
My daughter has an Argos special RockJam. You reckon that would work as a keyboard for it?

Sorry for twenty questions mate 🙈

Amazing John. Thanks so much for that.
I have a home vinyl DJ setup. So have two active monitors and mixer. I do also have an Amp and speaker in the loft. So defo have options.
Would my mixer act as an amp do you think?

That Roland JX-08 looks ideal. I just assumed they all had keyboards!!
My daughter has an Argos special RockJam. You reckon that would work as a keyboard for it?

Sorry for twenty questions mate 🙈
No prob, glad to help. Your active monitors should amplify it plenty, mixers usually just route/mix the signal but guess some may have amplification too, depends on what you're using. If you get a boutique they use single 2.5mm stereo out jacks so probably need a cable that gives you twin L/R 1/4 " (TRS) or stereo phono jacks for your mixer depending on what line inputs you have free. Send me a pic of your mixer if want me to clarify.

Looks like that Rockjam keyboard has a USB slot so 'may' control the JX08 or any other boutique via the USB port of the unit. Not that familiar with USB control though, being an older fart that got used to five pin din MIDI in the 80's I've stuck with what I know. The boutiques have midi in, would just mean the keyboard needs midi out. Pic:

Midi in.jpg

Last edited:
No prob, glad to help. Your active monitors should amplify it plenty, mixers usually just route/mix the signal but guess some may have amplification too, depends on what you're using. If you get a boutique they use single 2.5mm stereo out jacks so probably need a cable that gives you twin L/R 1/4 " (TRS) or stereo phono jacks for your mixer depending on what line inputs you have free. Send me a pic of your mixer if want me to clarify.

Looks like that Rockjam keyboard has a USB slot so 'may' control the JX08 or any other boutique via the USB port of the unit. Not that familiar with USB control though, being an older fart that got used to MIDI in the 80's I've stuck with what I know. The boutiques have midi in, would just mean the keyboard needs midi out. Pic:

View attachment 240293
MIDI is universal.

Works either via USB or the 5 pin din plugs.

MIDI is universal.

Works either via USB or the 5 pin din plugs.
Yeah, just wasn't sure what function that cheap keyboard had for its USB port and/or if needed configuring for MIDI out/clock/sync etc.

Gaz, you'd need a cable like this (prob cheaper elsewhere) which should power it, provide midi control and audio (should you wish) Think @stoptap on here uses them a lot if want to check. I've always used 5 pin din midi for keyboard control, the 2.5mm output jack for audio and the USB only to power it which avoids using batteries plus noise/interference.

Last edited:
Before CGC land Pulp Fiction in the UK - that's for sure.

I did not ask for a date, as I have a trade deal with them due to my music links and pals.
Had a dabble on one of these?

If the UB-XA is comparable, it's a bargain for around a grand. Looks like stock due in January.

Had a dabble on one of these?

If the UB-XA is comparable, it's a bargain for around a grand. Looks like stock due in January.
To be fair a lot of music I listen too features one of those (well - not the behringer - the original).

Watched a load of youtube videos on this remake. Do not really want an original, sorry -rephrase - I can not afford the original.

If I do not like it - then I can sell it on and not loose a penny (well actually I could probably make a bit of cash).

Behringer stuff has good markup on it.

If I do not like it - then I can sell it on and not loose a penny (well actually I could probably make a bit of cash).

Behringer stuff has good markup on it.

If/when that happens, I'd be interested. :) Think it will be a long while before any SH ones filter through on Ebay etc.

Yeah, just wasn't sure what function that cheap keyboard had for its USB port and/or if needed configuring for MIDI out/clock/sync etc.

Gaz, you'd need a cable like this (prob cheaper elsewhere) which should power it, provide midi control and audio (should you wish) Think @stoptap on here uses them a lot if want to check. I've always used 5 pin din midi for keyboard control, the 2.5mm output jack for audio and the USB only to power it which avoids using batteries plus noise/interference.

Legend thanks John.
Looks like the midi is blanked off so just usb.
Excuse my ignorance here. But what is midi?IMG_1911.jpeg

What’s your thoughts on the Korg microkorg? Seems to be a couple for sale local to me. Any good for starting with?

Back
Top Bottom