What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Synthesizer Thread

Ok, I'll definitely take the Juno G.

Will have a think about the Bass Station and let you know tomorrow about that as it wasn't on my radar originally.

Ok, I'll definitely take the Juno G.

Will have a think about the Bass Station and let you know tomorrow about that as it wasn't on my radar originally.
That’s fine. Bear in mind though that if I sell the Bass Station separately the price will be more than the £200 that I was going to sell it at with the two bundled together.

That’s fine. Bear in mind though that if I sell the Bass Station separately the price will be more than the £200 that I was going to sell it at with the two bundled together.

I'm not confident the Bass Station is going to give me the sound I'm looking for. Happy to go ahead with the Juno G for £300 though. PM me and we can do the deal :)

Any of you synth geeks fancy a Korg Microkorg? Gonna put up for sale shortly, prob around £180.

You seen that Wardorf Irudium? Looks amazing.

I've just had a Roland Go Keys (for the lad.....) and i can feel it being a slippery slope.

Still got my JV1080 to dust off one day, just need to figure out if i can adapt midi outputs from this Keys USB port.

Looking good. :)

The boutiques are bargain items, just wish Roland hadn't restricted to four note poly... I have a JU-06A here and intend on another JP-08 one day unless I eventually give in on a Jupiter X.

Looking good. :)

The boutiques are bargain items, just wish Roland hadn't restricted to four note poly... I have a JU-06A here and intend on another JP-08 one day unless I eventually give in on a Jupiter X.
The Boutiques are amazing. The 4 note poly is a restriction true, but the Mini Moog is monophonic and one or two decent tunes have been made on that.
The JP08 is wonderful but for me the best Boutique is the D05. That isn’t limited to 4 note poly and actually improves on the original synth. There is a good reason why it costs more now second hand than it did when new. Very much in demand.
It sounds simply amazing. Exactly the same as the D50.

You seen that Wardorf Irudium? Looks amazing.

I've just had a Roland Go Keys (for the lad.....) and i can feel it being a slippery slope.

Still got my JV1080 to dust off one day, just need to figure out if i can adapt midi outputs from this Keys USB port.
The JV1080 is a fantastic synth. I used to have a Roland XP50. Regret selling that.

Is the 1080 as capable as a D50 or XP50?
I'm considering something if i can find it at a good price, but does it make more sense just to get some basic keys and let the 1080 do all the work?

Where does it sit in terms of sound and features?

The xp50 was basically a 1080 with keyboard and a sequencer. The XV is still a very capable synth engine.

It all depends if you want to link it up via a PC or use just hardware. If you want a PC based setup you will just need a midi keyboard. Either a midi controller (doesn‘t make sounds itself, just controls a synth module like your JV1080) or another synth/keyboard (will have its own sounds but also be able to play the sounds from the JV1080). A modern synth/controller will have USB to make connecting to a PC easy.
I currently have a midi controller and another synth (Yamaha AN1X) controlling those synths on the rack.

D23AB42D-EEEC-42FC-B605-E3A69C63A896.jpeg

I see.. and midi passthru on every synth. That's really neat. I bet that makes a noise when theyre all up lol

Ok I'm going to attempt midi output on this Go Keys, otherwise look for a controller. Cheers.

Btw, I'm staggered how good this "toy" sounds. Some of the modern patches are incredibly deep and have long variation on sustain (best way i can describe) and there's a hidden menu to enable GM2 classics too.

Real fun..

Is the sequencer then just the ability to layer up and record little sections? Like a looper?

Thanks for advice

I see.. and midi passthru on every synth. That's really neat. I bet that makes a noise when theyre all up lol

Ok I'm going to attempt midi output on this Go Keys, otherwise look for a controller. Cheers.

Btw, I'm staggered how good this "toy" sounds. Some of the modern patches are incredibly deep and have long variation on sustain (best way i can describe) and there's a hidden menu to enable GM2 classics too.

Real fun..

Is the sequencer then just the ability to layer up and record little sections? Like a looper?

Thanks for advice
A sequencer is how studios use synths to make songs. They record (usually) 16 tracks. Not just little patterns but full length song patterns. So one track would have bass, one have drums, one a piano, one some strings etc. You record each one in turn. You can edit, copy, paste etc as needed. A synth that has a sequencer built in is generally known as a workstation synthesizer.
A PC based sequencer is much easier to use and edit (once you get used to it). You will probably need an interface to get the JV1080 connected to the Go as the 1080 only had old style MIDI connectors and the Go has USB MIDI.

Ok got it.

Yeah i got this but need adapter for the USB as it's micro socket on the back... and that's if it supports a native midi output, which I'm not sure about just yet with it being entry level

Any recommendation on software?20201205_133218_copy_1008x756.jpg

So that will do it. The Go will connect directly to the PC. That interface will connect with the PC and the two DIN plugs connect to the MIDI In and Out of the JV1080. If the Go and the JV1080 are connected to the same MIDI channel the DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) software in the PC will pass the signal from the Go to the JV1080 allowing you to play the JV1080.
I use Cubase as a DAW but there are many out there. Probably one or two simple, free ones that will allow you to get started.

The Boutiques are amazing. The 4 note poly is a restriction true, but the Mini Moog is monophonic and one or two decent tunes have been made on that.
The JP08 is wonderful but for me the best Boutique is the D05. That isn’t limited to 4 note poly and actually improves on the original synth. There is a good reason why it costs more now second hand than it did when new. Very much in demand.
It sounds simply amazing. Exactly the same as the D50.

That's a good demo, but struggled to like the PCM sounds of the D50 when I had one years back, the only Roland I didn't really take to.... I do have the D50 in the V Synth XT though so maybe should delve a bit more with it.

@strobey when the gear takes over a midi patch bay will avoid needing to use MIDI THRU's on everything. I use 2X Akai ME30P's. 2 in 8 out.

@stoptap I have the Human League and Depeche Mode sound banks for JP-08 if you want them. Great demo's on YT.

The JV1080 is a fantastic synth. I used to have a Roland XP50. Regret selling that.

I still have my XP50 fully expanded and have used it a lot as still stands up today for a massive variety of quality sounds and drum kits. The XV3080 goes for about £200 SH on Ebay, this is a JV1080 plus all the sounds of JV2080 plus expansion slots for two SRX boards, well worth the extra £50 over a JV1080 imo.

That's a good demo, but struggled to like the PCM sounds of the D50 when I had one years back, the only Roland I didn't really take to.... I do have the D50 in the V Synth XT though so maybe should delve a bit more with it.

@strobey when the gear takes over a midi patch bay will avoid needing to use MIDI THRU's on everything. I use 2X Akai ME30P's. 2 in 8 out.

@stoptap I have the Human League and Depeche Mode sound banks for JP-08 if you want them. Great demo's on YT.
That would be tremendous Sir. They sound very good.
I have a D50 mega pack of patches if you would like that.

That would be tremendous Sir. They sound very good.
I have a D50 mega pack of patches if you would like that.
PM me your email. I'll have to see what import options I have on the V Synth XT, cheers.

Ok I'm balls deep. Ive gone Cubase after wasting an hour trying to get my old Voyetra MIDI Orchestra floppy disk working on Win10... don't laugh... fond memories and i know it inside out from when I had an AWE32.

Thanks for explanation on the cabling, makes perfect sense and means no adapters req..

Ok I'm balls deep. Ive gone Cubase after wasting an hour trying to get my old Voyetra MIDI Orchestra floppy disk working on Win10... don't laugh... fond memories and i know it inside out from when I had an AWE32.

Thanks for explanation on the cabling, makes perfect sense and means no adapters req..
You do realise that synths are as addictive as pinballs don’t you ? :rofl:

Reactions: JMP

I've used Cubase SE for years and know it inside out, never felt the need to upgrade as it does what I need and old dogs don't like new tricks ;).

Once you have your gear setup on a midi chain recording and layering into Cubase tracks.... your pinballs will get a little dusty.

Ah still remember my AWE64 Gold with 4MB upgrade using soundfonts, thought it was ace at the time. Where are they all now? 😄

Ok were cooking...

and holy sh1t this thing sounds good!
Easy peasy mate.
Yes they do sound good. Multi timbral as well so you can essentially write a whole song with just that one synth. It can play sixteen (if I remember correctly) different instruments at any one time. So you can record a bass sound. Then record a piano. Then drums etc. etc. All from the same synth at the same time.

@strobey and @stoptap - are you buying the Behringer 'korg' monopoly?

I had one of these in my parents loft since 1986, so I thought.

Mum threw it out when they had the loft baorded along with my record collection. Also had moog taurus pedals !

The remake for £700 is a must....

@strobey and @stoptap - are you buying the Behringer 'korg' monopoly?

I had one of these in my parents loft since 1986, so I thought.

Mum threw it out when they had the loft baorded along with my record collection. Also had moog taurus pedals !

The remake for £700 is a must....
Probably not mate. It looks (and sounds) amazing but I am trying to limit my purchases. I am just about out of space.
I do like the stuff that Behringer is churning out at the minute though. The Model D is an amazing recreation of the Mini Moog.
I actually had a Behringer TD3 delivered today. Cost me £80 delivered. Crazy.

Back
Top Bottom