What's new

The Shadow Is In The Building

RudeDogg1

Site Supporter
Well shes finly arrived, was a bit of a git to get in the door fitted through the door fine after rotating the head I should of taken the gun off because the turning circle is so tight in the porch type thing. I will do a shop log but like many of you its gonna take longer than i planed due to my sons flight from oz being nearly £600 more than id been quoted or put aside for. Annoying on the progress side of things but cant be helped.

I ran all the tests theres a few probs some i was expecting some not.
The battlefield kicker solenoid isnt working.
saying i need to check the battle field drop target switch.
saying i need to check the sanctum drop target switch (something dont look right there so it doesnt surprise me).
On the switch test it says 24 allways closed not sure what that means or wether its ment to be like that.
On the flipper test the upper right passes the power test but not the hold (Im going to rebuild them so hopefully that will sove that).
A few bulbs are out but that dont matter im going to led.
There are a few odd light probs I dont know if its due to the burnt J120 connector me and matt spotted. None of the rings light and on collum 8 only 2 insert lights light.
When doing the GI test none of the bottom lights light.

Over all shes pretty tidy pf has no wear apart from the sanctum which has had the repair which ill prob redo because the colour match is way off its white. And it has one pinhead sized ding next to a ramp. cabs pretty good nearly mint one side and a couple scrapes one side and the back box need redoing at some point. Legs and habitrails im gonna re chrome brass and gonna replace the plastics I have the useual 2 broken ones under the battle field

We're you aware of all those issues? I'd be asking for a partial refund

Exactly what I was gonna say. I thought you travelled a good few hours to play/look over this at Matt Vinces? Could be wrong. Few Shadows about at mo. One for £1500 and another lad on here sold his for about £1050 ish so assume it was priced well.

Good luck with it anyway and I hope you enjoy it :)

yes pretty much cuz i knew the wall and the mini kicker wasnt working right, apart from the lighting but i knew about the connector so hopefully its just that and dead bulbs

not atall unless i get really stuck i dont intend pestering to much. Anyway thats what these forums are ment for :0p unless its me asking that is

that was aimed at replicas as allways :bolt:

Congrats on purchasing the greatest pin of all time :whoo:

dont suppose that small pin head size ding is kinda near the left ramp is it?

cheers grizz the wall assembly looks very odd think something has broken off it cuz theres a arm type bit flapping about which looks as if it should be attached. One of the first things im gonna look at I think, strange because it goes up and down in the tests but the ball just hammers it in play or is that normal. Seems to of lost 2 balls on its trip not adding the new ones till its clean so it will have to remain confused for abit

Start with the switches. You might find that there isn't a problem as if one hasn't been triggered for a while it will come up as an error. Find the switch and see if it registers in test mode. If not the fun starts. Can you hear it when you press it? Is it connected properly? Does the ball depress it enough, or do you need to bend the wire up.

Have fun mending it. It's great feeling when you figure out what's up with a machine

no the right rampe about 2cm infront of the post nearest the sanctum.

Hmmmm was wondering if it might have been one of my old ones, as I used to have a real phurba that Matt Adams now owns, and It fell off went through the glass and stabbed the PF which left a small hole in it :)

cheers grizz the wall assembly looks very odd think something has broken off it cuz theres a arm type bit flapping about which looks as if it should be attached. One of the first things im gonna look at I think, strange because it goes up and down in the tests but the ball just hammers it in play or is that normal. Seems to of lost 2 balls on its trip not adding the new ones till its clean so it will have to remain confused for abit

Personally I would make sure correct number of balls are in game from the off, that way you can check all the trough switches etc are working as they should be. No point causing more confusion to the trouble shooting process. I would get all yr issues sorted before you start tearing into it for cleaning.

Start with the switches. You might find that there isn't a problem as if one hasn't been triggered for a while it will come up as an error. Find the switch and see if it registers in test mode. If not the fun starts. Can you hear it when you press it? Is it connected properly? Does the ball depress it enough, or do you need to bend the wire up.

Have fun mending it. It's great feeling when you figure out what's up with a machine

ive not looked at the battlefield one yet the, the sanctum one looks like its been bent the wrong shape it registers when you touch it but its curved like a banana so the target might not be touching it?

Originally Posted by RudeDogg1

no the right rampe about 2cm infront of the post nearest the sanctum.
Hmmmm was wondering if it might have been one of my old ones, as I used to have a real phurba that Matt Adams now owns, and It fell off went through the glass and stabbed the PF which left a small hole in it

unless you have your left and right muddled.

Cheers for the link grizz having a look now

Personally I would make sure correct number of balls are in game from the off, that way you can check all the trough switches etc are working as they should be. No point causing more confusion to the trouble shooting process. I would get all yr issues sorted before you start tearing into it for cleaning.

consider me told shouldnt crap the new balls up to much if i pop in 2

When you say the upper flipper fails the hold test, you do realise it will fail to move from its normal position but if you help it during the test it should stay up when it gets there?

Each flipper coil actually has 2 separate coils within, a high power coil that fires the flipper and a low power coil which just holds the flipper in the up position. The low power coil will struggle to raise the flipper during the test, give the flipper a little with your hand and once in the raised position the low power coil should hold it up if its working correctly.

If I've got any of that wrong please correct me.

I haven't checked which coils are fitted to the shadow ( mines not coming until next week ) but I'm pretty sure the upper flipper on a lot of machines has a less powerful coil fitted than the main flippers, I know that's how my getaway is, blue coils for main flippers and red for upper so that may account for why your lower flippers manage to raise on hold test but not the upper.

Yes, spoke to him today. Just checked the manual, main flippers should have the most powerful coils fitted ( Blue ) while the upper should be orange.

Yeah I just looked to

The manuals pretty vague in some parts some bits they give u all the part numbers and descriptions others they haven't bothered atall lol

I wasn't on about that I just ment in general. Like the battlefield kicker coil (I know it's on the coil paper on the machine but that's beside the point the paper could of burnt off lol)

We're you aware of all those issues? I'd be asking for a partial refund

he got it for rock bottom price, under a grand, so i think the price was fair. Shadows go from 1000 all the way up to 3000 or even more for a truly minty example with new stuff and a good history (like being a PH restoration job).

none of those things are major problems. Rudi will enjoy chasing down these issues one by one, and as others said, the feeling of satisfaction is wonderful the first time. he will have it all looking lovely for under a hundred quid, and put a few hours in, then he will feel like he really owns and knows his machine.

in the pin market, (assuming you buy off someone in the community, rather than a chancer on eBay, or a vendor who wipes them down and sells them at silly prices) you get what you pays for. if you want a Shadow, you can pay bottom shelf prices, or top shelf prices. the nearer you get to the top, the closer you can expect a pin to be perfect. there's a few Shadows on the market atm, but you'll never get the chance to see them all together, and line them up in order of desirability ..... but if you ever did, the prices would most likely follow a similar if not exact trend. as replicas likes to say, quality sells, so there's usually buyers out there for both ends of the market.

pretty munter.jpg

Correct dan I'm looking forward to it just abit annoyed about having to buy a overpriced flight lol was gonna buy all my bits this month

looking forward to your shop log mate. remember the best shop logs have loads of pictures, loads of detail, and (if you can easily take a vid on your phone, quickly upload to youtube, and grab the link - all of which takes no time at all these days) video too

also once you have it all shipshape, you need to get the Secret Laugh mode going, just before you lock a third ball for multiball (or just before going onto the Battlefield) as it's epic

horse laughs at his mate falling in snow.jpg

Back
Top Bottom