What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The (not so new!) eBay Auctions / Facebook / Gumtree / Shpock 2022 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't think CPR did silk screened anymore. Thought they'd gone all digital?

What’s the difference between silk screened and digital?
Silk screened:

Think layers of paint, each layer a different colour building up the overall image.

Digital:

Think like a large sticker printed and stuck onto the wood.

Silk screened is the traditional AND expensive way of doing it. Arguably better colour reproduction and a dying art form

Silk screened:

Think layers of paint, each layer a different colour building up the overall image.

Digital:

Silk screened is the traditional AND expensive way of doing it. Arguably better colour reproduction and a dying art form
I see, makes sense.
Everything is going towards the cheap way of doing things. Nothing lasts these days

Silk screened:

Digital:

Silk screen, is boss, no question. But I do have to add,

Digital print isn't necessary onto a sticker. Digital Printers can print directly to wood. Everyone goes digital artwork nowadays but you can still screen print art made digitally and it was until quite recently.
The big one is what the final glossy clear coat finish is. With enviromental outputs being an issue while old playfields were for example "Diamond Coated" (Bally) that lacquer is 2K a 2 part lacquer.
2K is tough and it is lovely but modern lacquers are a 1K single lesser lacquer which is no where near as tough.

< This is quite a good piece with a RBION being built.
Watch @6:23 for the silk screening process.

Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 14.05.54.png

I treated myself to a birthday gift of 6 framed backglasses a while ago.

These screen printed beauties from the 70s and early 80s are true works of art from an era with a completely different ethos to today. Even screen printed CPR backglasses are nowhere near the quality of the Bally/ Williams/ Gottlieb originals.

IMG-20221005-WA0000.jpeg

All is not lost nowadays, you can buy your delivery food using installments ..

Last edited:
The big one is what the final glossy clear coat finish is. With enviromental outputs being an issue while old playfields were for example "Diamond Coated" (Bally) that lacquer is 2K a 2 part lacquer.
2K is tough and it is lovely but modern lacquers are a 1K single lesser lacquer which is no where near as tough.
100% agree to go for silk screened if available. On the 2 TAF that I’m restoring, one is a CPR gold and the other is a Kruzman playfield who re-does the clear coat on nos playfields as well as Mirco and CPR.

The clear on the CPR gold playfield is really nice, but you can tell what ever Clear coat Kruzman uses is completely different. Maybe it’s just the thickness he lays down, but it seems a lot harder.

The Diner playfield we got (and sent back), was digital. It had a printing error where they had made everything that should be green yellow. So yellow lettuce in the burger and hot dog and much more.

The text with the game credits on the outlanes was slightly blurry too. But apparently that's just what digital printing does (according to CPR)

The Diner playfield we got (and sent back), was digital. It had a printing error where they had made everything that should be green yellow. So yellow lettuce in the burger and hot dog and much more.

The text with the game credits on the outlanes was slightly blurry too. But apparently that's just what digital printing does (according to CPR)
I recently had a FT playfield from CPR that had majorly blurred black lines and the shooter lane switch had not been cut out.
The replacement they sent was much better but the print does not compare to my original, the orange sunset is more yellow and the pine trees look rubbish compared too.
Inserts were flush but a few months sitting there has seen some shrinkage just as Kruzman told me.

I’m just fitting playfield protectors from now on, touch ups or overlays fix things and they play just as good contrary to what some people say. I have fitted enough to know.

Too much money and/or time to be disappointed.

"I’m just fitting playfield protectors from now on, touch ups or overlays fix things and they play just as good contrary to what some people say. I have fitted enough to know."

exactly what ive done with the FT i have. No need to stress over non leveled inserts then.

Plays fast and smooth and allot of fun so why not.

"I’m just fitting playfield protectors from now on, touch ups or overlays fix things and they play just as good contrary to what some people say. I have fitted enough to know."

exactly what ive done with the FT i have. No need to stress over non leveled inserts then.

Plays fast and smooth and allot of fun so why not.
Yes mine has one on too with fish decals that I put on after a few drinks as I had them😂
My playfield is warped a bit that can cause a sdtm when it rolls down from the casters club area but have levelled it not to now.

Its only because I got Manny (high end restorer back in the day) to do a mint restore on the cab etc that I bought the playfield to make it perfect as I’ve had it about 12 plus years now.

Have a taxi that I will be putting playfield decals on then a protector, just finished doing clear epoxy resin on a insert that was about to let the ball drop into the playfield. Going to do a short shop log on that once it’s all finished.

Have a High Speed, Fish Tales, Black Knight, Eight Ball Deluxe with them on and all good. Have one for my Future Spa too, even bought a BSD with one on and all good.

Life's too short and everything is costing too much🍻

I considered buying that banzai. I could have used my own game as the template to rebuild the box of bits.

I comprehensively refurbed my own banzai so know it pretty well.

But what terrified me about the box of bits was- are all the outlane lane guides there ?

the wiring looms there ?

the playfield lane guides ?

Imagine the nightmare of having to source templates and then remanufacture stuff like this

Did you notice how the marquee was held in with tape ? The fastening is game specific (simple though).

The arm that holds the marquee up is game specific and would be a pain to replace. The latch on the quarter turn cam on the head is game specific too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom