What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The "How much is this table worth" thread....

Hello all...

I have this vintage Bally Spectrum Pinball Machine at home. When plugged in only the Backpress lights up, the rest doesn't come on. So it is not in use, the main body doesn't turn on or function.

Just wondering if anyone has any idea of
a. how much they go for working
and
B. how much it might be worth in the condition it's in

Iv heard there quite rare, and that there's a only a few thousand of them

Thanks!!
as is condition depends on what's wrong with it - would be useful to have pictures of the inside the backbox where all the electronic boards are, and pics of the inside of the main cabinet, and underneath the playfield. The more pics you can provide, the better people can help you. To value it, sell it, get it working.

Hello all...

I have this vintage Bally Spectrum Pinball Machine at home. When plugged in only the Backpress lights up, the rest doesn't come on. So it is not in use, the main body doesn't turn on or function.

Just wondering if anyone has any idea of
a. how much they go for working
and
B. how much it might be worth in the condition it's in

Iv heard there quite rare, and that there's a only a few thousand of them

Thanks!!
I'd value a working, decent all round condition Spectrum at 900 / 1000

Yours is dead, wear to lower ball feeds. Quite possibly board issues. Displays unknown.

As someone else said - without much more info,photos or viewing it..... 400 seems about right.

It could be a simple fix, it could need new CPU etc

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Not thousands, they made about 1000 and scrapped half because players didn’t “get” it. Unusual place for the playfield to wear, it’s a reasonably rare game bu that doesn’t necessarily make it valuable. A picture of the back of the back glass would help as these are very hard to find and also a picture of the boards as it’s likely there is battery leakage hence why it doesn’t work.

This is the first machine I ever played, it’s a challenging game and well worth owning (I’ve had 3, getting a better one each time)

Value I would say 500-800 non working and 1k plus fully working

as is condition depends on what's wrong with it - would be useful to have pictures of the inside the backbox where all the electronic boards are, and pics of the inside of the main cabinet, and underneath the playfield. The more pics you can provide, the better people can help you. To value it, sell it, get it working.

Attachments

• 82554261_1885994671532780_8867703041998979072_n.jpg
    82554261_1885994671532780_8867703041998979072_n.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 82891621_1532129276951778_6432316590707965952_n.jpg
    82891621_1532129276951778_6432316590707965952_n.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 82358252_3008071299238062_4155788820643577856_n.jpg
    82358252_3008071299238062_4155788820643577856_n.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 50
Back of back glass picture would be good - it seems from the front to be OK. I’d say expect around 500, it may be an easy fix but equally could need all the connectors replacing and the boards re-pinning

Now you have a rough idea based on condition, I'd suggest getting someone round to take a look and see if they can get it working (I think @DrPinball is close enough to you).
That way you will have a much better idea as to what it's worth. Without knowing the fault you're only going to get lower valuation.

Based on the number I saw on site in the day I think a fair proportion of the games released in the wild must have come to the UK. I know at least 2 of our northern league have them.

I believe it is much rarer in the US. But it's a much more cerebral game than most pinball - not a lot of action going on, more a pinball implementation of a popular deduction game (which made the fortune of one of our suppliers when I was in business), so it's not for everyone.

I've got a Spectrum in good condition with excellent condition backglass. It's working, but has some issues. I like the gameplay, and it's one of the few pins that you can play while listening to the radio........there aren't many callouts and sounds.

Who else on here has one?

I need a lamp matrix chart and a switch matrix chart. The manual is available on ipdb but does not contain the charts. About five bulbs are out.....and it's not the bulbs. 3 of the dead bulbs are vital for getting info on right or wrong guesses. Thought it might be a line out on the matrix chart.

Also, while I was playing it, all the lights suddenly went dim and a buzz started up. It has remained in this dim state, since. I was thinking of taking it to Jim in Leeds, but that's going to cost, but don't mind doing that. It's in good nick and is worth getting working properly. Just need to get around to it.

This post maybe needs moving to technical help required. I would need technical help to move it there !!

The manual is available on ipdb but does not contain the charts.
That manual on ipdb appears incomplete the information you need can normally be derived from the missing schematics. Bally games of this era don't use a lamp matrix, each feature lamp is driven separately by SCRs on the lamp and aux boards. The switch matrix can be derived from the playfield wiring schematic, they are layed out per the matrix. Fortunately @Inkochnito has done the hard leg work, paypal him a beer if you find it useful :thumbs: 🍺
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Bally_Spectrum_Tech_Chart.pdf

Wow, astyy. thanks for that info and link !!

My technical knowhow is limited to the knowledge I have gained trying to fix odd problems I have had with pins in my ownership.

I have pins that have never gone wrong, so I have no knowledge of what's under the bonnet. A state of affairs that I prefer !!

Hi all,

Taxi may well be up for sale soon, any ideas on what I should be asking?

The head of the cabinet has been repaired at some point and has a screw in each side in bottom right. Will take pictures.

- New rubbers.
- New topper as old one was broken and faded.
- Marilyn version (although weren't all in the UK?)
- PF very clean - although a mint restore would require mylar pulling, probably decals to inserts and clear.

Hi all,

The head of the cabinet has been repaired at some point and has a screw in each side in bottom right. Will take pictures.

- New rubbers.
- PF very clean - although a mint restore would require mylar pulling, probably decals to inserts and clear.

$1,000,000. As it’s the best pinball machine ever made.
To keep it fair. Interested parties should enter a selection process. In their own words(no less than 10,000 words) explain why they should be legible. Then a short video about themselves including hobbies and interests social status, employment history etc...

the short list will be invited to take part in a Krypton Factor style assault course before finally landing a jet in a simulator to determine the lucky winner..... who then must pay $1,000,000 to you.
That’s what I’d do but hey, it’s your machine

Marilyn version (although weren't all in the UK?)

At work we had one of each, though the Lola example had been rejected from domestic production (going by the sticker on the cabinet covering the 'FCC' notice). If it's still about, it may still have a Marilyn edition of software, copied by me from our other one.

Hi all,

- New rubbers.
Same as you paid for it ???

Same as you paid for it ???

No I made an agreement with the previous owner after everyone pointed out It was sold too cheap, that should I sell it, minus what has been spent on it, I would split the difference and sell it at market price.

As a man of my word, that’s what I’ll do.

So trying to find market price.

Well done you.
Wish more people were so inclined.
Whats a Taxi worth, great question. Its all on condition with this era as it was played to death back in the day and there are not many gteat examples out there. A players game id say start at £1400. A game in good condition £1600 and a restored near mint example like Gaz has well who knows.
Good luck with the sale and good to see someone not just in this hobby to make a quick buck, karma to you fella.

Back
Top Bottom