What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The eBay Auctions / Facebook / Gumtree / Shpock 2024 thread

There are plenty of old timers on here who will remember when TAF and just about any Bally Williams title could be bought working for below a grand. I have been keeping half an eye on used pinball prices for about 25 years.

For those who are shorter in the tooth - the covid lockdown/ supply chain issues/ money printing/ bounce back loan/ home office/ hot tub/ outdoor kitchen era ...... The past 4 years have been totally unrepresentative of normal pinball buying and selling patterns.

As they have been unrepresentative times re classic car/ rolex/ holiday home in Cornwall etc etc etc prices.

Folk were even paying premia for electric cars a couple of years ago, now prices are dropping like stones

Used pros do seem to have found their level at around 6-6.5 atm, not sure on prems, more dependant on title and pro to prem comparison.

If nib prices came down would used prices stay the same level as now though? Lessening the depreciation. Or if nib prices came down say £500 for a pro would the new used prices be 5.5-6k, meaning the depreciation was the same anyway.

I feel ok loosing a bit on a nib but the wider the gap the more picky I am. If I knew pros would only depreciate 500-1000 I’d buy a lot more nib but there’s no guarantee and £2000 for a rotator pin just doesn’t seem worth it

Couldn't agree more. I lost £3k on a EHOH. Puts you right off buying new. The loss is just too much.
And the markets gone down further since then, if you’d held on to it you’d have lost even more. I sold it for less than I bought it for and paid less than that for the one I just bought.

Once the production run ends it will be a different story, especially if it’s sought after.

That used to be the case, but Stern suddenly have a lot more production capacity to fill and are now routinely running games that were once thought to be out of production.

I can't see myself paying more than £7500 for a NIB Pro. Venom and Jaws were offered for that for a short period so doesn't seem unreasonable. I would have bought a Bond but that price wasn't offered when I wanted one.

Losing £1k on a NIB Pro after a year was the norm pre COVID, and just about acceptable.

The market will correct itself one way or another.

Last edited:
And the markets gone down further since then, if you’d held on to it you’d have lost even more. I sold it for less than I bought it for and paid less than that for the one I just bought.
I didn't like losing so much on my Godzilla, but guessed that if I held on longer I'd lose even more so had to bite the bullet.

I think that when Pulp Fiction starts shipping there will be a good number of Pins come up for sale. There's just too many Pins in circulation for the amount of people in the hobby.

I can't see myself paying more than £7500 for a NIB Pro. Venom and Jaws were offered for that for a short period so doesn't seem unreasonable. I would have bought a Bond but that price wasn't offered when I wanted one.

Losing £1k on a NIB Pro after a year was the norm pre COVID, and just about acceptable.

The market will correct itself one way or another.

£7500 for Jaws was a good deal I thought. Was tempted myself at that price

FYI:
Lose: be deprived of or cease to have or retain (something).

Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place; detached or able to be detached.

How much do you reckon for an above average looking Bally Space Invaders? One on marketplace, seller wants offers of £2500 up
Spent loads on mine,in fact I don’t want to think how much I have spent on it
IMG_0472.jpeg

It’s a grail pin for me but I wouldn’t say mine is worth anyway near 2.5k

I posted a while back, £5k - £5.5k on a LCD pro second hand is my limit. Prices aren’t there, and I’ve not bought a LCD pro since. £2.5k - £5k will get you most System 11 -> Stern DMDs and there’s a boatload of fun to be had there for that price.

For me any spike game is like a pass the parcel game ,a large paper weight waiting to happen . To frighten to switch on ,waiting for them node boards to fail .spending 6-8k on a machine and a board fails and you can’t swop boards over as they have already been swapped ,so now have to buy 2 boards !

For me any spike game is like a pass the parcel game ,a large paper weight waiting to happen . To frighten to switch on ,waiting for them node boards to fail .spending 6-8k on a machine and a board fails and you can’t swop boards over as they have already been swapped ,so now have to buy 2 boards !
Are they really that bad?
Not having owned a spike game but would like one in the future. This makes me wary
Of the modern sterns durability.

Not having owned a spike game but would like one in the future. This makes me wary
No. The Node boards are harder to fix than earlier pins, but it's possible.

That is my opinion based on a lot of people on here having node board problems like 8 & 9 failing and not being able to repair them so have to buy new , think now you can buy new ones now when they are available . Just look for info on here about this issue !

No there fine, yes they fail sometimes as all electronics, however there easy to obtain, yes with COVID as with all electronics for a period they where difficult to get.

There cheapish to replace about £40 difference to getting repaired, there in every stern machine since at least 2016, spike 2 nodes are downward compatible with 1.

I suspect spike 3 will hopefully be downward compatible with spike 2.

If in 20 years they become unobtainable someone will remake them. It's no difference to some white star components, the CPU board don't really exist, neither do original power driver boards, someone recreated them. Certain components on some old pins are becoming harder to get and at some point won't exist, unless someone goes out of the way to manufacture.

There is an argument that the bigger boards are fixable and that is correct, the nodes are problematic to repair.

No one thought 80's pins arcade machines would still be going, but people find a way, I really wouldn't waste any time worrying about it. I'd be more concerned with the pc found in other manufacturers machines, if the os goes and there no image that is not fixable,but as with everything someone will find a way.

This is one of the reasons I won't buy a new stern. I can't fix them if they go wrong.
I respect, that's your choice.

For others don't worry about something that is a non issue.
Modern Stern machines are reliable and I would take one over a 90s machine any day of the week, the node boards can fail however there easy to buy not particularly expensive, easy to fit and readily available, they use them in all there machines.

People buy iPhones , tablets and various sealed electriconics that are difficult or impossible or just not economical to fix.

The question that should be asked is can you easily buy the replacement parts, that might fail at a reasonable cost the answer is yes and I can't see that changing for a long time.

Yes you might have to wait a couple of weeks to get a node board, which is no difference to sending a sealed ultra book away for repair.

Yes it won't be £5 for the part more like £180, which I appreciate is a lot of money, however as said before the part is easy to get and readily available.

Tron LE has 92 watchers!
Reserve has been reduced.

A number of pins in an upcoming auction.
1717076173119.png

The one missed off the top of the list was Trail Drive, Hammer price £360.

All plus 32.5% comission, so...

Trail Drive : £477
Magic : £477
Star Trek : £1988
Crosstown : £424

Have to admit i was tempted by Magic, however chickened out, since by the time it's delivered would be near enough £600.

Yes all high with the auction fee once you’ve collected them, I was tempted by Magic but in todays market it’s probably £1400 fully working but it’s a risk of not knowing what needs doing to get it to that position 🤦‍♂️

View attachment 252734

The one missed off the top of the list was Trail Drive, Hammer price £360.

All plus 32.5% comission, so...

Trail Drive : £477
Magic : £477
Star Trek : £1988
Crosstown : £424

Have to admit i was tempted by Magic, however chickened out, since by the time it's delivered would be near enough £600.
I bought the Magic, so I’ll report back about the condition when I collect it tomorrow 👍

Tron LE has 92 watchers!
Reserve has been reduced.

Sold for £8778 and 78 new pence.
EDIT: Reserve not met

Last edited:
The bidders obviously don't think that. What a waste of everyone's time.
Yeh, I've never understood putting eBay starting at zero when you want a minimum of x, much better to start at x, then everyone knows the score. I suppose the hope is that two people get in a bidding war, but with a high value pin I can't see it happening

Back
Top Bottom