What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The difficult second pin...

Kids today, it's all about Fortwatch and Overnite.

In fact, Overwatch is probably sooooo Q1 2018.

I went to the same arcade a couple of weeks back on Bournemouth Pier and The Ghostbusters still wasn't set up correctly, the ball was drifting to the right. The Walking Dead played really lovely though despite a dodgy coin mech as you pointed out, I don't even watch the show and im considering purchasing one.

I spent a few hours there and nobody else played any of the machines, very sad.

I've told them about the setup and coin mech multiple times, they either don't care or have no idea. I go down every few weeks for an hour or so on WD

Kids today, it's all about Fortwatch and Overnite.

In fact, Overwatch is probably sooooo Q1 2018.

When Xbox released their 'see your stats' a while back, my son was averaging 20 hours a WEEK on Overwatch! Probably less than that now with Fortnite, but he'll play Spiderman and GoTG for hours, and annoyingly has GC scores on both at the moment. The joys of being a student!

Guardians is a fun game with great tunes too. If for any reason you don't gel with it, you will always be able to trade it for a game that you do!

If you are playing pinball in London, check HERE for a list of locations to play. Flip Out London Pinball Club has dozens of games to play too.

Get yourself along to a pinball show such as the one in Daventry coming up soon (look on this site under "events") - still plenty of time to plan going for a day - great father/son day or weekend away.

For a small door entry fee you will get to play over 100 machines from all eras and have a great opportunity to see and play machines that just are not around anywhere else.

Shows like this are great for trying different machines, usually in very good condition, and allowing you to formulate an opinion on them for appearance, gameplay etc.

Well, after having so many machines to choose from at UKPinfest, I’m now wondering about getting something else to go along with my SM and GoTG.

Deadpool is a definite option, hoping to get somewhere to play one in the next couple of weeks as it fits really well with the Marvel theme I have in the room.

However, there’s a few others that we really enjoyed and I could either break with the theme or put them somewhere else (I’m sure my wife won’t mind…). In fact as I move between two houses, I’m thinking I could start a second collection in the garage at the other house, so its quite possible I’ll be looking to get two machines from the list.

Of everything we played, these are the favourites in pretty much the order my son would pick (though a student who isn’t paying for the thing doesn’t really get to choose) :

Monster Bash
Game of Thrones
Walking Dead
Lord of the Rings
Scared Stiff
Iron Maiden

From what I could tell, all were Pro models where there are options, though one of the Maiden’s was a premium I think, but I couldn’t entirely tell the difference so I guess that means there’s not enough extra to make it worthwhile for me.

There were two examples of both MB/SS at the show, one in the competition and one elsewhere and they did play a little differently - my concern is how to tell that when looking at buying a machine s/h? I’m still pretty new to this, and so I’m not great at picking up issues - I guess just try to go and play it before buying?

As well as the list above, we also really enjoyed The Getaway, Terminator 2 and Shrek but I’m not sure they have the depth for home use.

At some point I may try to pick up a Stern Indiana Jones and put the @myPinballs kit in it as that was a lot of fun, and it would let me ‘play’ with the machine a bit more (I’m a C/Assembler programmer and have always enjoyed hacking my way through stuff since I was a kid).

Back in Bournemouth at the moment for the Air Festival and so spent another couple of hours at the pier last night. The WD is even worse than before and the DMD on Creature is not working properly.

My wife likes ‘pretty’ machines, and Star Wars was recognisable. We played quite a lot of games on it and it was a lot more fun than I remember, though that may have been helped by us constantly getting replays! I guess that’s another option, though again I’m not sure how it would fare in longer use and the play field still seems a bit bare in the middle.

All comments/suggestions welcome on what to buy, how much each of these machines should go for, and how to persuade my wife that two machines really isn’t enough!!!

Well, after having so many machines to choose from at UKPinfest, I’m now wondering about getting something else to go along with my SM and GoTG.

Deadpool is a definite option, hoping to get somewhere to play one in the next couple of weeks as it fits really well with the Marvel theme I have in the room.

However, there’s a few others that we really enjoyed and I could either break with the theme or put them somewhere else (I’m sure my wife won’t mind…). In fact as I move between two houses, I’m thinking I could start a second collection in the garage at the other house, so its quite possible I’ll be looking to get two machines from the list.

Of everything we played, these are the favourites in pretty much the order my son would pick (though a student who isn’t paying for the thing doesn’t really get to choose) :

Monster Bash
Game of Thrones
Walking Dead
Lord of the Rings
Scared Stiff
Iron Maiden

From what I could tell, all were Pro models where there are options, though one of the Maiden’s was a premium I think, but I couldn’t entirely tell the difference so I guess that means there’s not enough extra to make it worthwhile for me.

There were two examples of both MB/SS at the show, one in the competition and one elsewhere and they did play a little differently - my concern is how to tell that when looking at buying a machine s/h? I’m still pretty new to this, and so I’m not great at picking up issues - I guess just try to go and play it before buying?

As well as the list above, we also really enjoyed The Getaway, Terminator 2 and Shrek but I’m not sure they have the depth for home use.

At some point I may try to pick up a Stern Indiana Jones and put the @myPinballs kit in it as that was a lot of fun, and it would let me ‘play’ with the machine a bit more (I’m a C/Assembler programmer and have always enjoyed hacking my way through stuff since I was a kid).

Back in Bournemouth at the moment for the Air Festival and so spent another couple of hours at the pier last night. The WD is even worse than before and the DMD on Creature is not working properly.

My wife likes ‘pretty’ machines, and Star Wars was recognisable. We played quite a lot of games on it and it was a lot more fun than I remember, though that may have been helped by us constantly getting replays! I guess that’s another option, though again I’m not sure how it would fare in longer use and the play field still seems a bit bare in the middle.

All comments/suggestions welcome on what to buy, how much each of these machines should go for, and how to persuade my wife that two machines really isn’t enough!!!

No question - The Walking Dead. Second game of thrones and wayne is selling a lovely LE!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Monster Bash
Game of Thrones
Walking Dead
Lord of the Rings
Scared Stiff
Iron Maiden

WE'll have our Deadpool next week so pop up to Tilt :D

I'd plan on getting one to rotate and pick up a decent B listing table, something well respected and fun.

Monster Bash
Game of Thrones
Walking Dead
Lord of the Rings
Scared Stiff
Iron Maiden

You could always pop up to SWL in Salisbury tomorrow night and have another try on Monster Bash, Scared Stiff, The Getaway and Terminator 2.

They will play differently especially in tournament mode and jacked up...!

Monster Bash
Game of Thrones
Walking Dead
Lord of the Rings
Scared Stiff
Iron Maiden

Good to chat to you about my Indy rewrite and other stern games. Stern indys do come up form time to time, so keep an eye out. From the list i would say LOTR as a second pin. Lots to do on that and not as expensive as some others. Also may fit in easier to a family home than walking dead/scared stiff/iron maiden etc

No question - The Walking Dead. Second game of thrones and wayne is selling a lovely LE!

Dawn really doesn't like the way WD looks - she much prefers the 'pretty' pins and there's no denying that WD is one of the least pretty ones there is. Also struggling to figure out what things are worth as so few move here and have only played the Pro, so not sure what extra the Prem/LE adds (gameplay and cost!)

WE'll have our Deadpool next week so pop up to Tilt :D

Was hoping @Chief get theirs this week as I'm in London twice next week, but I really ought to make a trip to Tilt. I guess I could leave Dawn to go shopping at the Bullring...

I'd plan on getting one to rotate and pick up a decent B listing table, something well respected and fun.

That's a pretty good plan, most of these are probably likely to be rotated out after a few months, so not losing too much on them is also part of the plan.

You could always pop up to SWL in Salisbury tomorrow night and have another try on Monster Bash, Scared Stiff, The Getaway and Terminator 2.
They will play differently especially in tournament mode and jacked up...!

Friday nights never seem to work out getting to Salisbury at the moment, don't suppose you're open this Sat/Sun at all?

Good to chat to you about my Indy rewrite and other stern games. Stern indys do come up form time to time, so keep an eye out. From the list i would say LOTR as a second pin. Lots to do on that and not as expensive as some others. Also may fit in easier to a family home than walking dead/scared stiff/iron maiden etc

I quite fancy a project to may be tempted if I see one come up. Kids are grown now, so theme isn't an issue, but getting an 'ugly' pin past Dawn is definitely an issue.

One thing I forgot to ask is about moving pins about, don't think one will fit in my Tesla Model S, so I guess hiring something will be needed - what's the smallest (cheapest to hire) car/van that I can fit something in easily?

I hear Tesla is great for delivering milk! LOL

Hire a van, best option, you can do that for about 80quid a day if you shop around.

I've learned that its better to ask for forgiveness on pinball machines than permission. TWD LE or Premium looks a lot nicer than the pro and I personally think the bombs add a huge amount to the gameplay but YMMV. If you aren't getting it because of looks then thats a great shame given its super high rating.

Flipout has a scared stiff that Matt happens to be selling. Just listening to what you are saying above I think you might want to check out attack from mars, its a superb game, challenging, fun and goes down well in family events. There is one at flipout and Spadge is selling a really nice AFMR SE. Of that list that you have though all are great games, LOTR is good but in my view a boring game.

Cheers,
Neil.

Sadly not possible this weekend as I am at the EPC in Finland.

Enjoy! I'll make it there one day!

I hear Tesla is great for delivering milk! LOL

Haha, it is by far the fastest thing I've owned and most of the supercars around here no longer bother at the lights as they've been left standing too many times :D

I've learned that its better to ask for forgiveness on pinball machines than permission.
TWD LE or Premium looks a lot nicer than the pro and I personally think the bombs add a huge amount to the gameplay but YMMV. If you aren't getting it because of looks then thats a great shame given its super high rating.

That works for most stuff. AV I can hide in the rack, cars/bikes (even a plane) are very much out of sight most of the time.

Dumping a TWD in the dining room, may be a little too obvious for that approach!

Enjoy! I'll make it there one day!

Haha, it is by far the fastest thing I've owned and most of the supercars around here no longer bother at the lights as they've been left standing too many times :D

That works for most stuff. AV I can hide in the rack, cars/bikes (even a plane) are very much out of sight most of the time.

Dumping a TWD in the dining room, may be a little too obvious for that approach!

I drive a BMW F90 M5 CP - name the set of lights you want to meet at :) it’s such an easy win for me it’s ludicrous!

So you need to be more inventive - oh darling look at this new pin a I got a MEGA deal on it ! LOL.

Of course I never do such a thing before you lot grass me up to the wife :)

I drive a BMW F90 M5 CP - name the set of lights you want to meet at :) it’s such an easy win for me it’s ludicrous!

Hehe, 3.3 seconds 0-60? I'd best give you a head start!

My GT3 will do that in theory, but only if you're happy to burn the clutch out and you need to be fully on it to avoid bog down or stall. In real-world against it, the Tesla just vanishes until the speeds get silly.

The acceleration of Ludicrous mode is just nuts and you don't have to do anything at all, can be happily chatting away and just react, put right foot to the floor to get launched towards the horizon.

yup that’s what they say on the brochure but I’m currently 4-0 up on Tesla kills! Much to the annoyance of one of my neighbours!

Back in Bournemouth this weekend so might go and put another hour or so on the WD at the pier to see if I really want one

If you want to play the premium let me know I’m in Woking... not this weekend as I’m doing birthday stuff for my granddaughter.

I spent a few hours at @Chief today as had to drop the Tesla at West Drayton for a service (only left because they had a power cut).

Spent quite a while on Monster Bash and it was great to hear the music and call outs that we couldn't hear at Pinfest. Really enjoyed playing it and felt I was starting to get somewhere, managed to progress through and get monster bash started. This is definitely high up on the list as its quite different to the others.

Then I played quite a few games on Iron Maiden. It works really well with music, I'm not a massive fan but I've happily listened to their albums. This one is growing on me and there seems to be a lot on it to do, without being confusing and has a great variety of shots. Didn't really get the hang of big scores on it, but was really fun to play and work out shots/strategy.

I surprised myself by putting a load of games in on Star Wars, that was also a lot of fun - again the audio makes a huge difference. I managed to put up a couple of entries on the leaderboard for tie fighters and duel plus I got to victory multi ball which allowed me to hit my first ever 1B+ game :) Dawn quite likes it when we've played it on the pier as it is fairly friendly to casual players, so could be an option too (was hoping to reduce the list, not add to it!!)

Got a couple of games on Medieval Madness before the power went off (area power cut - probably best as I had work to do really). It was good fun, and destroying the castle is awesome but I think I prefer some of the other games over it (and I struggle to hit the lock shot!).

Is there anywhere else in London that has other machines? I'm back up there on Wednesday for meetings in the afternoon (Flip-Out is too far out). I'd love to have another go of LOTR and GOT if there's any about.

Was thinking whilst playing, which of these games is going to help me improve the most? I guess all of them to an extent, as what I learnt at Pinfest is both Josh and I were by far the best at GOTG/SM because we knew the machine/rules and had a strategy. What I'm wondering is if I am likely to get more out of some of them than others in terms of improvement in overall play?

There are quite a few games at brew dog Shepard’s bush (from memory AC/DC batman 66 Star Trek And others maybe GOT?) @Matt Vince will know.

Monster bash useful to practise drop catches from the scoop. Star Wars how to manage frustration as the launch ejects the ball down the side lane! Iron maiden good for practising catches and reactions in the loops as well as shot accuracy on all the shots.

Medival a lot of similarities to monster bash shot wise. Again good for catches and shot accuracy on the ramps. If MB or MM take your fancy can I really urge you to try AFM also it’s kinda part of the three and in my view the vest of them all and is a great game to learn and practise on (Edwin uses it to great effect in pinball 101).

I don’t know anywhere with a LOTR on location in London. I don’t think lotr is a great game to learn skills on but it’s a great chopping wood game. GOT would be a lot better. GOT might also be at brew dog I know Matt has one on locations somewhere.

The two games that really helped me learn how to play a lot bettter is AFM and TWD. Now TNA is doing that too.

Neil

Excellent to see machines (and Brewdog!) sited in Reading. I plan to check them out this very week:thumbs:

Great setup of London Pinball @Matt Vince machines in Brewdog Reading. I had the machines and the bar pretty much to myself Friday lunchtime, don't office types go out boozing then:hmm: Not much access to hi-scores, names like @robotgreg and @Wayne J were jamming it up:thumbs:

20180914_130112.jpg

Great setup of London Pinball @Matt Vince machines in Brewdog Reading. I had the machines and the bar pretty much to myself Friday lunchtime, don't office types go out boozing then:hmm: Not much access to hi-scores, names like @robotgreg and @Wayne J were jamming it up:thumbs:

View attachment 71040
What machines have my initials on?
I haven't been to Reading, and don't even remember setting any high scores in Flipout.

Managed to get to Brewdog London last week, X-Men is quite good fun :) Heading to Manchester end of next week so will attempt to get into Tilt on the way there or back

We were in Bournemouth again last week so went to the pier - the poorly maintained WD is gone and in its place is a shiny new Deadpool which was quite a surprise!!!

Oour first game we both got replays and I managed to put up my first ever GC score on a location game :) I'm assuming 172 million won't last too long once more established players find it, but it was nice to get there at least once! If I look up the rules I can hopefully improve on that.

Spent about an hour playing it and it is a really fun game, the battles were good fun and the shot onto the Katana is awesome. I love the artwork and the beat-em-up graphics on the display. The callouts were good too, don't think lack of more adult is an issue.

I had a couple of times where wasn't sure what to go for with nothing much lit, but I'm guessing code isn't finished yet so that happens. Extra ball seemed to be lit a few times, but hitting the scoop never collected it (I can hit that scoop much easier than I do the GoTG one!).

Skill shot seemed to be a real skill as you have to select the lane beforehand (never really understood why a skill-shot can be collected by choosing the lane as the ball is rolling into it).

Dawn really liked the way it looks and found it fun to play (lil Deadpool is an easy up-the-middle shot), and was asking about the differences in LE, so I'm working on approval at the moment...

Deadpool GC.jpg

We were in Bournemouth again last week so went to the pier - the poorly maintained WD is gone and in its place is a shiny new Deadpool which was quite a surprise!!!

A poorly maintained WD turned up at Butlins Minehead when I was there, I wonder if it's the same one. It wouldn't play as it had no balls!

Back
Top Bottom