What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Cure Touring in 2022

DRD

Registered
OK, so the bassist has recently quit. The drummer still ain't Boris and has not been for 27 years. Reeves Gabrels is a superb replacement for Porl Thompson - all you miss is his sax on A Night Like This. Mad Bob still Mad Bob. As for keyboards, who cares ? Lol was hardly the greatest

Mr Smith, now a pantomime dame 😅.
In all fairness he's been at it for over 40yrs without the histrionics of way too many pop celebs, kept himself to himself and written some bloody good tunes.
First time I saw them must have been about 1982 at UEA and hearing the opening chords of A Forest live is something I'll never forget

I love The Twilight Sad who are supporting 😍
They're worth checking out!
The Cure is The Cure, i only really like one album

putting the Cure in the same basket as the Smiths is likely going to be the end of our friendship

Why? :D

I like such a wide range of music... from Classical to Rap and Rock to Grunge and Drum and Bass (I have to, coming from Ronnie Size land). The Cure and Smiths dont feature only because, whilst i understand others do like them, they are so incredibly depressing :D

The cure has a huge range. Yes, there is moody stuff in there. But there is also unadulterated pop. I am not sure any other band has this diversity. These songs are one year apart ...

The pop

To the melancholic

I get those that don't like it. The cure is like alcohol, it can change/ enhance/ degrade your mood - so take care with it.

Nowt comes close though when you "get it".

Why? :D

I like such a wide range of music... from Classical to Rap and Rock to Grunge and Drum and Bass (I have to, coming from Ronnie Size land). The Cure and Smiths dont feature only because, whilst i understand others do like them, they are so incredibly depressing :D

But see that's just it mate - anyone who loves the Cure would in no way describe their music as depressing. "Hopelessly optimistic" is a much better description. Yes, a lot of their music focuses on depression. But it's always, always, hopeful.

My favourite band by a large margin.

Watch Pictures of You from their Glastonbury '19 appearance. Their sound was just amazing that day. Wonderful moment, gave me goosebumps (admittedly watching from my couch)

I first saw them live in 1987 on the Kissing Tour.

What I just don't understand is why the drummer just doesn't sound right. Andy Anderson and Boris Williams were just better. The current drummer, Jason Cooper, has been there 27 years and many Cure fans still bang on about Boris.

Jason seems to kiss the drums. Whereas Boris bloody hits them. For comparative purposes, a Boris Williams Pictures of You .....

Always surprised when I come across people who don’t know where the name “joy division” comes from. All those t shirts with no notion of what it’s referencing 😱

Early cure was awesome, quite like forest onwards too

still have my boys don’t cry single on smash it I think label 😂

@stumblor nailed it. A lot of music described as depressing is motivational to people who have a depressed side.
In the early 90’s, I found The Cure to be too happy with only a handful of songs that I would say I liked.
We can point you to music that is actually depressing, and I am not talking about Daphne and Celeste.

First saw them in France in the late 80s. Think the gig started with 'the kiss' which is a brilliant way to start. Big fan here. Got most of the albums. Best album is disintegration. Best song. Difficult to say as so many are brilliant. Not keen on more pop style of some songs, eg lovecat. Long live the Cure.

Sorry almost zero connection between the sisters of mercy and fat Bob and his mates. I quite like a lot of the older Sisters stuff but would struggle to name more than a couple of Cure tracks that I would ever listen to. Goth was/is a strange beast. It’s hard to link a band such as Combichrist or VNV Nation to earlier acts such as the Cure.

Obviously people are very welcome to like both but I rarely (if ever) managed to sell any Cure albums but sold a **** ton of other Goth bands so I resented stocking them 😂
Thinking about it I bought my first 10 or so pinball from running stalls at goth events so thank God for depressing music 🤟

Last edited:
If we are into the more exotic bands, I also quite like Dead Can Dance. Was due to see them live in London on the day of one of England's euro 96 games. Missed the game to watch the gig. Got to the venue and they had cancelled. Still missed the game as I was travelling back during it. Rubbish.

“Flood land” by the Sisters still stands up pretty well as an album. Much as I prefer their early singles and “First and Last and Always” the production now sounds really weak.

DCD were a very acquired taste. There was always a lot of interesting stuff going on at the fringes of the scene. Danielle Dax should have been far bigger.

Part of me still wants to own the Creaming Jesus “skin up for Jesus” shorts that you used to be able to buy at gigs in the early 90s.

I got sent this video of Rosetta Stone earlier this year. Turns out my mrs is now famous 😂 off the top of my head I think it’s around 2:50 There’s a ****ton of hair going on there.

I remember the footage being shot at the Astoria in the mid 90s.

That bloody woman got everywhere. Just spotted her in the Die Laughing crowd. No wonder my back is so screwed.

Loved the 90s goth scene. Infest, Whitby and the German festivals. Every weekend we went to the Slimelight and then did the Marquee on the Sunday. Travelled all round the place with my bands.

Back
Top Bottom