What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tesla Owners

We are in rather uncertain times.

Gas shortages
Petroleum shortages
Threat of power cuts
Energy companies dropping like flies
PM that has lost his marbles
Reliance on renewable energy, with weak backup

In times of real crisis the old school energy tends to come to the fore. Bottled gas, wood, coal. Petrol has been around for a very long time. Lithium batteries have not

I think it is a risk relying on electric cars right now. Will the power be on at night ? Will there be a free charging point ? What happens when the batteries start to fail ?

This is why I bought a PHEV. I use electric for 99% of the time and if I want to go any distance I can use petrol.

Just too many variables e.g. I have a type 2 plug, but can I charge at a fast charge, can I use tesla? The Ev lot have totally confused the issue and thus made it oretty unuseable. I can pull up to a filling station and my choice is super or unleaded, both of which I can fill up with.

I have no dog in this fight as I struggle to care about any car provided it works, but as someone with no driveway who parks anywhere you can find a space any electric vehicle is a bit of a non starter. I’m certain the infrastructure will come sooner or later but for now it’s pretty dire.

Does anyone here own a Tesla looking at getting Model 3 Long Range next year any issues / experiences to think about.
If you are at Northern pinball this Sunday il take you for a drive in my ipace. And didn't we meet a few weeks ago at the brunswick

I am not surprised that many here do not think EV are equivalent to petrol/diesel vehicles but I think the end of ICE will be quick and it won’t be long before ICE vehicles have range anxiety. An issue for me as I am a petrol head but not a problem if the replacement are fun to drive.
I test drove a VW ID 4 last week and it really did drive like a peppy Golf, though will confess it wasn’t quite there on the interior. Also, little boot space for a dog which seems an issue with a lot of these vehicles.

And it makes absolute sense to have a petrol car and another electric one if you make decision to use the electric where ever possible you reduce your emissions. This isn’t a religion.

Can't see the appeal at all. The weight of these things is ridiculous. A lot of them are around 3 tonnes, which is insane. My huge 7 seater SUV is 1.5 tonnes. I can't even imagine driving something twice that weight. Chapman knew what he was doing.

If you are at Northern pinball this Sunday il take you for a drive in my ipace. And didn't we meet a few weeks ago at the brunswick
Yes was good to meet you. I would love to be there but the 48 hours I have at home every week can't justify spending more time than needed in London but thanks for the offer. Im going to research it and look at the IPace.

This is why I bought a PHEV. I use electric for 99% of the time and if I want to go any distance I can use petrol.

Just too many variables e.g. I have a type 2 plug, but can I charge at a fast charge, can I use tesla? The Ev lot have totally confused the issue and thus made it oretty unuseable. I can pull up to a filling station and my choice is super or unleaded, both of which I can fill up with.
I was told there are talks going on so you can use the Tesla charging points , but Tesla owners are not happy about it , also sharing your drive to charge over people cars Apparently !!

Yes was good to meet you. I would love to be there but the 48 hours I have at home every week can't justify spending more time than needed in London but thanks for the offer. Im going to research it and look at the IPace.
Biggest decision for you now is whether you want to go EV or not and if you decide to there will be an electric that's right for you. I have no axe to grind either way - EV is right for me as my daily driver but I also have a 5.3litre V12 jag to offset the emissions and a couple of rotaries which are almost as thirsty as the V12 Jag so I suppose am a Petrolectric head. What is a shame is that those looking at making their first EV purchase don't ask the right questions or even know what the right questions are and then end up with something that doesn't work for them and become disillusioned. There are limitations, biggest of which is the public charging infrastructure, although that is 10x better than it was 2 years ago and improves every week that goes by. For most people EVs work great for 99% of journeys but you do remember the 1%. And the adverts and dealers just promote the positives and seem completely unaware of the limitations and in particular gloss over the fact that you will only ever get 70% -80% of the manufacturers stated range (but they always did same when quoting miles per gallon figures too. And there is also an awful lot of nonsense opinion (not facts) on social media written by people who have likely never owned or even driven an EV and have no intention of ever doing so willingly.

Just go out an test drive them and you will soon work out whether if its right for you.

And make sure that you don't choose the trendy white leather because it looks like c**p in short order particularly if you wear jeans . I didn't make this mistake but know others that have and regretted it.

Paul

I was told there are talks going on so you can use the Tesla charging points , but Tesla owners are not happy about it , also sharing your drive to charge over people cars Apparently !!
Heard same about Tesla, but I expect that if they do allow they will charge nonTeslas a premium rate for the Electric. Ionity which is a JV between Merc/BMW/Audi/Ford charge their club member owners 29p a unit on their ultrafast chargers whereas drivers of other makes get gouged for 69p a unit. Ouch!

Can't see the appeal at all. The weight of these things is ridiculous. A lot of them are around 3 tonnes, which is insane. My huge 7 seater SUV is 1.5 tonnes. I can't even imagine driving something twice that weight. Chapman knew what he was doing.
Generally an internet myth. e.g. Range Rover Velar is 2124kg and ipace is 2,133kg. Similar size, similar spec, similar weight. With a full tank the Velar is heavier :)

I got an epic thing from the US a couple of years ago that lets me pretend my car is electric and thus I park in the electric bays and this thing gives the appearance that I’m charging the car 😂

I got an epic thing from the US a couple of years ago that lets me pretend my car is electric and thus I park in the electric bays and this thing gives the appearance that I’m charging the car
Another way is to put some green tape on your number plate !!

I've done 110k in my Model S

Most of the time, I just want to get there and so it is perfect as virtually all my trips are on autopilot on motorways or dual carriageways and it is great for wafting to and from places.

It's no worse cornering than my Q7 was, but has the advantage that you can't help but grin as you launch away from traffic lights to 60 in under 3 seconds. You never get bored of that :)

Whilst the Taycan is definitely better handling and has a nicer interior, Tesla is the only EV option if you do journeys of more than 200 miles regularly as Superchargers work at anything from 80-250kW (depends on battery temp/charge state etc) and most are now 8-24 chargers, whereas public charging infrastructure is still rubbish having one or two, often not working stations that max out around 50-80kW

The more ev’s on the road the more incidents of 3 second launches the more they will slow the cars, enjoy it whilst you can

There's a Japanese car company selling cars without the battery for £10k cheaper than other EVs. They are setting up 'Petrol' Stations where you drive in and rent a charged battery. When it is nearly flat, you drive in and replace it with a fresh one. This idea has been around for years and the option everyone should have adopted. They have just shipped thousands of these cars to Holland and setup 4 recharge stations as a start.

No worry about a deteriorating battery over time and no long wait to charge. Winner winner chicken dinner!

That sounds very similar to the Chinese firm Nio. Stories say you pay $10000 less for the car but pay a monthly fee to lease the 70 kWh battery for 6 months when it is then replaced. Battery tech moves on, so with each swap you could get range increase.
It is surprising because most ground up EV place the batteries low down in the car and have very large batteries. They do not need the weight of an engine or gearbox localised but the batteries are very heavy. To make a car have a 70 kWh size battery be removable sounds like taking an engine out every 6 months, a massive compromise.

That sounds very similar to the Chinese firm Nio. Stories say you pay $10000 less for the car but pay a monthly fee to lease the 70 kWh battery for 6 months when it is then replaced. Battery tech moves on, so with each swap you could get range increase.
It is surprising because most ground up EV place the batteries low down in the car and have very large batteries. They do not need the weight of an engine or gearbox localised but the batteries are very heavy. To make a car have a 70 kWh size battery be removable sounds like taking an engine out every 6 months, a massive compromise.
the sytstem I have seen you pull into a bay, the battery is automatically removed from below and a new one fitted. 3 to 4 minutes.

the sytstem I have seen you pull into a bay, the battery is automatically removed from below and a new one fitted. 3 to 4 minutes.

Tesla trialled this in California for a while but ended it because it just isn't practical and mass availability of super fast charging (250kW) makes it unnecessary.

Well after trying several cars in the past 2 month I have finally bit the bullet however it has not been fired in the direction of Tesla due to a number of reasons but mainly due to it having limited boot space.
My previous car has been awesome it’s a Mitsubishi PHEV which could do 30mi on electric regardless of how fast you go so it’s not limited like some to 30mph.
However it’s now 6yr only out of warranty and done 92k miles 75% which is easily on all electric mode only using petrol when I collect or pick up the odd pin now and again. Oh and yes a pin sits in easily hence my usual selection of a new car pretty easy choice. Now I am only managing half the range on pure electric as the battery’s had lots of use so 16mi is tops now.

So my decision was based on the following:
1. It must be under 45k as we buy our cars outright the wife refuses to lease (don’t go there) 40 was the cutoff but you kinda struggle getting anything decent under that.
2. It has to be a SUV or Crossover for practicality to Chuck bikes and toys in the back as well as trips to the skip.
3. PHEV or Pure EV only as our last car was perfect for our needs with usually short trips under 25mi

So in reverse order and IMO which is subjective with cars and in a way just like pins!

4th place was the Tesla as I was kinda blown away by the speed, tech and the name alone kinda give some bragging rights I guess.

3rd place was the Skoda Enyaq it had pretty much everything with extended battery nice trim level if specced it up a little too.

2nd place was the Hyundai Ionic 5. this was the 1st car I drove that actually blew me away in every respect and a pin could fit easily in the back. It’s funky looking, very retro and packed with tech on base model. It even had better all round vision than the Tesla due to its SUV like driving position. I almost bought this car after driving back to back with the ****ty VW iD 4 earlier the same day.

And the winner is

The Kia EV6 Wow just wow! I was not prepared just how amazing this car is in every respect, the drive, the trim on base level, the tech and the futuristic look that only the Ionic 5 could match.
This was the most expensive car of all the aforementioned and it didn’t help that I went upto the GT line spec as I wanted the exact car I test drove.
Although more a crossover than SUV im not sure if a pin would drop in there, but that is something I can live with as I’m getting too old to hump the bloody things about now. Anyway Martin is the way.
I paid a little more for Matt Steel which was only available in the GT line but it looks stunning. Again IMO now I’ve just got to wait 3-4mth but I’m used to that with pins so it will fly by.
Oh forgot to mention it has a 7yr with 100k warranty on the battery’s

The car I drove
3F3DAFC5-8F4C-4F42-8A00-984A2452E499.jpegF6111270-B886-4FD0-85DA-1E1C7B0CD3D4.jpeg

The colour I went for
BFED6CB6-2E65-49EA-97F9-5527D14CB19A.jpeg

Great choice Col - love the grey. Was tempted to post a pic of my leccy Jag but I think that's another thread. :)

Paul
Oh is it a Jag thread or electric car thread I didn’t notice it.
Yh Jag is out my price range I was pushing the boat out as it was and spent over my budget TBH

I’ve driven all the Tesla’s a good few times and I don’t really care about top speed what I do care about is cornering ability and the Tesla’s understeer like a freaking shopping trolley. The only EV car Id buy right now in the taycan but sadly it was design by Stevie Wonder and is the ugliest pile of tin on the planet.

if you have a company car EV is like the gold old days of company cars but the government will soon change that because they need money.

ive had two short drives of the petrol foace and ipace and the fpace would be the car I chose although the world would have to have ended before I bought any thing from JLR! Too many doomsday reliability issues.

eventually BMW will deliver to us a EV car that is fun to drive and I’m happy to wait for it. I’ve got a loan of a 4 series EV coming over Xmas So will see what that is like.

Neil
Neil,

How did you get on with the BMW EV over Xmas?

Paul

Back
Top Bottom