What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tesla Owners

well worth watching this video on the S Plaid by Doug DeMuro. Looks pretty complicated and so futuristic compared to any other cars on the market.
The look on his face when he goes from zero to 60 mph in 2 seconds is priceless 😂

A mate of mine took me for a spin in his, standing start was like being on the Rock n Roller coaster at Disney!
Pretty impressive.

Kia eNiro owner (I like oldskool knobs, dials and buttons… and a roof rack for my bike).

The Tesla integration between the route map, changing infrastructure and the car is unrivalled. You pay for that though. If Tesla did a Niro shaped car then I would’ve considered it.

Are you aware that all fully-electric cars still rely on the 12v battery?! Tesla included. Mental, but also logical when you think about it.

Literally like driving a boat on the road. If you don’t enjoy driving you’ll love it.

Had a 2019 Jaguar i-pace for HSE for 2.5 years as my company car. My boss has a Tesla X, 2017 which he bought when 18 months old, so about the same time i got mine. Both of us petrol heads and we do compare notes. My Jag is best car I have ever had and it will be replaced with same when up for renewal, unless another manufacturer comes up with something better, but it will definitely be another EV. My boss loves his Tesla, but both of us are honest about strengths and limitations.

All electric cars have outstanding performance compared to their petrol/ diesel equivalents and frankly some of them are quite scary as they have such performance that they skip down the road when you put your foot down. Seems to be the ones that were effectively conversions of a petrol car and/or have petrol diesel equivalents have most issues. Ipace has all the batteries in floorpan so very low centre of gravity and goes round corners like on rails - not sure whether McRae is specifically referring to a Model 3 as I have never driven one, but that it not my personal experience of my Ipace.

Tesla has best private charging infrastructure for long journey and their cars charge much quicker than almost all competition except Audi e-tron which is similar Speed of charge is as important as range if you do lots of long journeys. The public charging structure poor by comparison to Tesla's, and you do have to be patient with and EV and plan ahead and have a contingency plan on a long journey. But I regularly do a 350 mile trip between Northumberland to Somerset and so long as I leave with a full charge and plan charging stops well I can get there with about 50 minutes to an hour of charging across the journey (which is what I would do taking regular comfort / coffee/ food breaks. You have to change mindset if you own an EV and change expectation that you can just jump in and go and treat the journey like a timed race with bragging rights as to how quick you got there. If you are mainly doing the daily commute, this limitation just doesn't matter.

I-pace is top build quality, Tesla is poor. e.g. My boss stripped his dashboard out and rebuilt as soon as he bought the tesla at 18 months old because he couldn't stand the rattles. I have never driven a Tesla, but went to showroom when Model 3 first came out build quality seemed Lada circa 1990s to me. This is the reason why I never even bothered with test driving a Tesla - I just couldn't get over their cheap look and feel.

Also, I found monthly lease costs on Tesla to be 30% more that like for like (i.e. same list price).

EVs are incredibly tax efficient as a company car. The income tax I pay this year as a benefit in kind is £30 a month. Last car I had was a Outlander PHEV and when that went my monthly income tax bill was £450 a month. (Half these amounts for lower rate tax payers)

EVs only serviced every 20K and service costs £100-200 a time.

All in costs of EVs are cheaper than petrol/diesel despite the press that likes to think otherwise as they only seem to look at day 1 list price.

You really need to go and sit in a Tesla and check out the build quality and take it for a test drive. Only way to tell if it is for you. Plus check out other competitor EVs for comparison.

Paul

Plus a new battery is £4500, without leads - I don't know how they charge that ;)

I'll get me coat.
More like £9K for a basic Nissan Leaf replacement battery and I expect double + that for performance EVs (Tesla, ipace, e-tron) but by the time you get to needing a new battery the car will be a shed anyway with 150K miles on it and you will have sold it on long before. Just look at the number of early Teslas with 100K+ miles on them on autotrader and the only noted issues with EV batteries have been with the Nissan Leafs where they chose (badly) to air cool the batteries.

And if you go on long journeys in an EV, start with full charge, recharge when you get down to about 20% and charge up to 80% then set off again until down to 20% then recharge to 80%. Batteries take much longer to charge above 80% and you shoudln't push your luck much below 20%. Ipace stated range is 292 miles, but realistically it does 200 motorway miles, so for my 350 mile journey I leave with full tank, do 150 miles, stop to charge 30 mins, do another 110 miles, stop to charge 25 mins, then complete the final 90 miles and then charge overnight at destination.

@Lecari's Dad has one, i believe that model? He's always talking about it so I'm sure Claire knows (she's also better with cars than I am).

Listens to Jeremy vine at the same time talking about Ev , listened to middle class man complaining he wanted to take his Tesla shopping that weekend but due to the lack of charge ports he took his Petrol car…. Nothing more ecologicaly sound as owing 2 cars 🚘 🚘 to help feel like you are saving the planet

Oh dear 😂🤣 I’ve got 4 petrol burners!
Listens to Jeremy vine at the same time talking about Ev , listened to middle class man complaining he wanted to take his Tesla shopping that weekend but due to the lack of charge ports he took his Petrol car…. Nothing more ecologicaly sound as owing 2 cars 🚘 🚘 to help feel like you are saving the p

I’ve driven all the Tesla’s a good few times and I don’t really care about top speed what I do care about is cornering ability and the Tesla’s understeer like a freaking shopping trolley. The only EV car Id buy right now in the taycan but sadly it was design by Stevie Wonder and is the ugliest pile of tin on the planet.

if you have a company car EV is like the gold old days of company cars but the government will soon change that because they need money.

ive had two short drives of the petrol foace and ipace and the fpace would be the car I chose although the world would have to have ended before I bought any thing from JLR! Too many doomsday reliability issues.

eventually BMW will deliver to us a EV car that is fun to drive and I’m happy to wait for it. I’ve got a loan of a 4 series EV coming over Xmas So will see what that is like.

Neil

I meant to add that I’ve heard about build quality issues on Tesla and experienced it in a model X that seemee to not have any shock absorbers and rattled terribly.

One thing I did learn recently is that electric cars are far from new. Infact a looooong time ago with the first one being invented around 1830 something. (Although the first practical ones were apparently not until around 1880)
Think it was the advent of the starter motor that managed to give petrol cars the edge over electric ones. (Cant seem to find the wiki page with all of this on but theres a fair bit here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car)

I had a crazy notion the other day , Neil will know , what about we harvest the excess-electric produce by a combustion engine and plug our cars into our houses when we get home ? Would that be viable

Back
Top Bottom