What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tapatalk Removal

Paul

Staff member
Alias
Toibs
All,

I have heard increasing reports over the past couple of years about issues with Tapatalk -- particularly in terms of honoring and respecting user privacy, and mis-using customer data. Also unfriendly tactics like using their app to track users and actually download and make copies of subscribing forums on their own servers. They also default to uploading images directly from your phone/mobile device to their servers for posting onto this site, and by doing that they retain rights to those images. Effectively, over the past few years, Tapatalk has been gradually inserting itself more and more in the middle between their app users and the forums they are members of. The goal of all this is to get more and more customer data, and monetize it for themselves - and their own profits.

There have also been numerous, and several significant security breaches of Tapatalk code. In a number of instances, Tapatalk has not bothered to inform their users -- let alone forum owners -- about the breached code and security issues introduced. This has placed forums using their code in jeopardy of hackers, spammers, and false accounts. All of this is very documented. They have even changed code (to patch security issues) and not even changed the version of the new/patched code, meaning that forum owners or users who had downloaded older, insecure versions of their software had no idea that a newer version existed and that they should download it to close the security loop-holes.

NUMEROUS forums around the world have shut down their Tapatalk interfaces and have unsubscribed themselves from Tapatalk's network of forums. Many of them have used their conversions from older, less browser- and mobile-device friendly software like vBulletin, phpBB, Simple Machines Forum, ipBB, and others, to XenForo. XenForo is expressly designed for mobile devices, and displays very well on a wide variety of devices, form factors, and browsers.
After a couple of weeks of research, and some less-than-satisfactory experiences over the past year of my own with Tapatalk, I have decided to remove Tapatalk from its interface with this forum. After this point, forum members will need to use regular mobile or desktop or tablet browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, etc.) with the regular web version of this forum.

As with most software like this, initially it is really helpful and useful.... and then turns into something less so.

I have used it myself on a number of occasions, however due to the above, along with the fact that it basically only supports vanilla installs (doesnt work with some of the newer addons), i think it may be time to move on..

At this current time, i am looking to Switch off Tapatalk on 1st October (Maybe even sooner).

I wanted you all to have plenty of warning about this. Only a minority of folks (perhaps a few dozen) use Tapatalk with any regularity, so this will not impact many of you in any way. For those who DO use Tapatalk, I think you will be very pleasantly surprised about the experience with the forum that you will have with your device.
Your personal privacy and security (and the forum's security) will both benefit from this forum no longer using Tapatalk. This is mainly a move to make your security (at least with this forum) and privacy better.

You of course are welcome to continue to use Tapatalk to access any and all other forums that you subscribe to using that app.

Happy to welcome comments below.....

Cheers
Paul

Great news and I for one Hoping this change gets rid of my double emails which I managed todo several months ago but for some weird reason they have started up again and I’ve deleted the app at least a year ago.

I think I speak for everyone that doesn't use Tapatalk and has to suffer the endless nags to install Tapatalk when I say - THANK **** IT'S DEAD, IT'S FINALLY DEAD

Yeah get rid. It's about as useful as an old WAP browser in this day and age.

Just to also add, the new "skin" ive been playing with, whilst very similar to the current one, has some extra flexability.....

mobile.png

As someone who predominantly uses Tapatalk in his phone to access the site I still agree with this step to remove it. I have seen the app doesn’t support so many features that enrich the site. I kept using it because I have limited time to check and was so use to the format since I integrated it into a forum I ran 14 years ago.
I will take a look at the RSS feed

I find email notifications and chrome web browser on my phone and laptop work perfectly, why does anyone need the RSS feed?

Just looked at the RSS feed and the first took seemed to only show the first post then redirect for more. I see the value of a cut down heads up app but if all roads lead back to a browser I might just start there.

Yes please get rid of it!
When I look up posts on my phone I always seem to get pushed into opening Tapatalk when all I want to do is see the forum in a browser
When I get a private message and try and look at it/reply to it Tapatalk says "you have no private messages"
I'll be very glad to see it gone

NO KEEP TAPATALK!!!!!

I am the TAPATALK one I will resist! I will find you and camp out in front your driveway as the great TAPATALK rebellion continues!!!!!

Ignore these rapscalions who have setup their browsers wrong and should be banished from the modern world!!! NOOOOOO!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NO KEEP TAPATALK!!!!!

I am the TAPATALK one I will resist! I will find you and camp out in front your driveway as the great TAPATALK rebellion continues!!!!!

Ignore these rapscalions who have setup their browsers wrong and should be banished from the modern world!!! NOOOOOO!!!!!

Maybe i should remove it 31st August Neil, a month early, just for you ;) :D

In all seriousness though, i do get it, it has it's place, however that was around 10 years ago!! :D

As someone who uses Tapatalk numerous times a day as I find it easy. Can someone do an idiots guide to setting up a RSS feed as I wouldn't have a clue. Otherwise I can't impulse buy a Mettalica machine 1 minute after listing like I did before.

Last edited:
I can read dozens of forums with TAPATALK and use the browser for other stuff

Not a fan myself.

Just use a browser on my phone or mac.

Do not really look at other forums. Whatever happens on one forum gets copied/pasted onto here generally.

Do not really look at other forums. Whatever happens on one forum gets copied/pasted onto here generally.

I'm hoping that, moving forwards, some people might be interested in creating some content (news etc) once i work out a suitable front end.... :D
And i could probably do with some assistance creating a "Machines Database" eventually.... so we can have our own top 100 hopefully!!!....

Use the pinball database that everyone else uses and just build our own voting around it.

Does anyone else keep getting Chrome crashes on their phone when opening the text window on their Android phone? Its happening alot for me recently I was thinking of using Tapatalk to see if that would help...

Does anyone else keep getting Chrome crashes on their phone when opening the text window on their Android phone? Its happening alot for me recently I was thinking of using Tapatalk to see if that would help...
Yes, but Tapatalk is causing it.

Back
Top Bottom