What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

System 6 - Board Repairs

James

Site Supporter
Alias
James
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone on here does this sort of thing, I am going to re-solder some of the potential issues, replace fuses and some playfield issues first, but if it is the worst case and the boards were shot, does anyone on here do this and if so, how much do they charge?

Thanks,
James

you could buy a replacement rottendog board,expensive but nice

Don't seem to find them in stock in the UK - can't find a cost for them either... I understand repair is a cheaper option too...

I have only just got the game, it is a Laser Ball which when I got it, would turn on and just the playfield light up...

More details on the boards etc and the current state of them here...

From the S6 boards I have seen, this looks different too... Battery Holder in wrong place...

I have only just got the game, it is a Laser Ball which when I got it, would turn on and just the playfield light up...

More details on the boards etc and the current state of them here...

From the S6 boards I have seen, this looks different too... Battery Holder in wrong place...

Well the first thing to do would be to determine if the game is actually booting. Do you have any score displays lit, do you have any feature lamps moving on the playfield? Have you got a manual with schematics and checked the voltages out from the power supply are correct, plus checked all your fuses?

After that i would suggest a full replacement of the 40pin interconnect (between cpu and driver board) then if still no good, the cpu needs looking at on the bench with a decent test rom to diagnose whats up. The internal diagnostics on this era are terrible.

Thanks @myPinballs,

There is a solenoid out on the play field and a loose earth on I need to find where to put first I think, then I will check the fuses too and pop the board back on and check. Was looking at a replacement 40 pin connector earlier on Amazon, seem to be standard length can I just replace that with any 40 pin male and female? I was going to repair re-solder the joint on the bottom first and clean the whole board with 99% ISO, too...

When I looked at it yesterday, the play field was lighting up, no scores displays lighting... I am sure there are some fuses down though...

Really appreciate your help @myPinballs - I am so new to this and my "OK" soldering will be put to the test :) - most of this is above me right now.

Thanks @myPinballs,

There is a solenoid out on the play field and a loose earth on I need to find where to put first I think, then I will check the fuses too and pop the board back on and check. Was looking at a replacement 40 pin connector earlier on Amazon, seem to be standard length can I just replace that with any 40 pin male and female? I was going to repair re-solder the joint on the bottom first and clean the whole board with 99% ISO, too...

When I looked at it yesterday, the play field was lighting up, no scores displays lighting... I am sure there are some fuses down though...

Really appreciate your help @myPinballs - I am so new to this and my "OK" soldering will be put to the test :) - most of this is above me right now.

Bear in mind a playfield has 2 types of lamps. General illumination (GI) and controlled insert lamps. GI can be on without the cpu wotking. It’s the movement and flashing of insert lamps that shows a cpu board is running along with displays working

If you want the parts for the 40 pin interconnect replacement I can supply the correct quality parts as well as many other electronic pinball items!

Just drop me a message

Back
Top Bottom