What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Super Mario - playfield beyond restoration?

God Damn, thats some effort. I think I'd of gone down the overlay route (sand down and new print). This looks like its going to take you ages!

Keep up the good work.

God Damn, thats some effort. I think I'd of gone down the overlay route (sand down and new print). This looks like its going to take you ages!

Keep up the good work.
Overlay is a digital print though? What’s been done here is basically the same process as the original silk screen just how every pf should be nice and original :D I’d take this restore work over digital any day :)

Overlay is a digital print though? What’s been done here is basically the same process as the original silk screen just how every pf should be nice and original :D I’d take this restore work over digital any day :)
I get that but honestly, can you tell the difference?

I'm all for originality but if someones made a digital print and its availiable i'll take it.

Anyway sorry for hijacking will shut up now.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-01-09 at 16.55.49.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-01-09 at 16.55.49.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 68
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-01-09 at 16.56.51.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-01-09 at 16.56.51.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 67
Finally secured with the clear coat. Now 2 weeks curing then sanding and another batch of details to be added.

Hi Chris. I’ve always wondered why the process is clear then sand then paint again and so on… why is that? As opposed to clear at the end when it’s all finished

After few layers of colour the surface becomes very uneven. Its impossible to put another details on top as the paint goes under the stencil film. Also if you make a mistake on bright colour its pretty much impossible to clear it without wiping off layer underneath. Im trying to avoid too many clear coat layers between or leave them possibly thin so they dont create some sort of sandwich and cant be seen between the colours

P.S. Also the first layer is very important. It basically secures the original paint and wood and provides possibly flat surface for the restoration.

After few layers of colour the surface becomes very uneven. Its impossible to put another details on top as the paint goes under the stencil film. Also if you make a mistake on bright colour its pretty much impossible to clear it without wiping off layer underneath. Im trying to avoid too many clear coat layers between or leave them possibly thin so they dont create some sort of sandwich and cant be seen between the colours

P.S. Also the first layer is very important. It basically secures the original paint and wood and provides possibly flat surface for the restoration.
Thanks for the explanation mate 👌

Little break from Mario but quite a challenge for me. Hate recreating halftones but I'm quite happy with the result. Few insert cracks and missing pieces.20230409_222504.jpg20230409_222412.jpg

Waiting for the clearcoat.20230409_202058.jpg

Another update for those who are still watching :) Few color bits added last week and slowly starting on the black lines and details. Need to carefuly plan the order of the objects that Im painting to avoid spraying another clearcoat layer to secure them.

20230420_231739.jpg

I joined following half way through. It is amazing the detail and effort you have put in. The results speak for all that, accurate, will play as expected and will last.

Do you enjoy the process?

I joined following half way through. It is amazing the detail and effort you have put in. The results speak for all that, accurate, will play as expected and will last.

Do you enjoy the process?
Thank you. Yes and no :)
I do it as a hobby and like it most of the time but sometimes it takes lot of planning to find a right solution for the problem. It can be really challenging sometimes.

Also pretty much impossible without right technology. Im currently using 2 different printers, scanner, cutting plotter on top of normal aerograph and brushes. Countless hours in the Photoshop and Corel Draw. Not to mention rest of the typical spraying equipment (large compressor, 2 spray guns, IR lamp etc.)

Back
Top Bottom