What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Super Mario - playfield beyond restoration?

ChrisFormela

Site Supporter
Alias
h4fl4
Hi Everyone. I've decided to make this playfield restoration a bit more documented. This will be hardest restoration I have ever done (if I manage to do it :) )
I won't be writing a lot. Hopefully the photos will speak for themselves.
Obviously I'll be more than happy to answer any questions.

Wish me luck, I really gonna need it!!!
Chris

Photos from the owner:A457360E-B18A-4536-8C8C-AC6A2BF42D12.jpegD49ABB3F-7237-4D7B-9D0C-D410778DAFCF.jpeg3065FBFB-E470-4D6C-AADB-28DDE4CDEF84.jpeg97CF845E-235B-4560-8A28-7F6BC85FDF7D.jpeg

This machine is by far one of the worst purchases I’ve ever made! I paid way too much for it and when I seen the playfield I almost cried! Thank god! Chris has taken on this challenge. It’s definitely the worst playfield I’ve ever seen!

Hi Chris- did this come off with a freeze spray or heat gun? Want to tidy up a bit of Mylar on my game. Have some goo gone but would imagine this’ll probably take ages
Hot air but to be honest, it's best not to use either of it. Specially on williams as it helps to pull off the inserts paint. Better make some tiny cut on the odge of pulled mylar and pull all pieces parell to the playfield. I only remove the mylar when I'm ready to clearcoat the PF.

This pin originally came from a barcade called Play based in Bideford. It was sadly sold on after the bar shutdown when covid hit. I’ve been speaking with the original engineer who looked after it at Play, and he said when he cleaned the playfield the majority of the artwork came off. He thinks it had lots of touch ups and after he cleaned it, all the touch ups were erased!

I’ve attached some pics of when it lived at Play. Looked like a great Barcade, really sad to hear it’s shut now.

Attachments

• BD4CB43D-1D7F-4FAB-A591-A7D2E4ACE927.jpeg
    BD4CB43D-1D7F-4FAB-A591-A7D2E4ACE927.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 78
  • AC96BBAB-412B-4BF9-B250-0DBBB2A5AE8D.jpeg
    AC96BBAB-412B-4BF9-B250-0DBBB2A5AE8D.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 77
After looking at this last night i was looking online and seen a few of these machines with quite bad wear on the pf .. A guy on pinside had a hard top printed for his he did say he wouldnt share the files but said he rekons a few others had them

After looking at this last night i was looking online and seen a few of these machines with quite bad wear on the pf .. A guy on pinside had a hard top printed for his he did say he wouldnt share the files but said he rekons a few others had them
You are correct, there’s a print file floating around online. No one is giving it up though.

All "eyes" on me...
20220531_001140.jpg20220531_004010.jpg
A bit of an experiment for me. I'm planning to use polyurethane resin as a first, securing layer. The surface is to rough for 2k clear coat. Hopefully resin will cover most of the imperfections.

Ignore the fish eyes. Its something that I expected and it couldn't been avoided. 30 years of s**ty, silicon based waxes.

Now waiting for new IR cure lamp to arrive. I'll try to sand the resin once it's hard and see how it worked for me.

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

What's your plan with the artwork?

Do you plan to sand back and print a new overlay?

Scott

....he said when he cleaned the playfield the majority of the artwork came off. He thinks it had lots of touch ups and after he cleaned it, all the touch ups were erased!..
That's what happens when you use IPA (over acrylic that isn't sealed with lacquer). Although it does look like someone has applied India Pale liberally to the left of it.

Would I touch it up, me? Yeah, but I like a challenge but it would be so many hours I couldn't do it for a customer due to cost.

Hot air but to be honest, it's best not to use either of it. Specially on williams as it helps to pull off the inserts paint. Better make some tiny cut on the odge of pulled mylar and pull all pieces parell to the playfield. I only remove the mylar when I'm ready to clearcoat the PF.

Depends on the game and if it's diamond coated or not. Gottlieb's aren't great for keeping their paint when removing the mylar. I use a heat gun and try to get the mylar as warm as possible before removal but be careful if you get it too hot it'll bubble the paint underneath.

My man did a great job turning this (was a lot worse after mylar removal lifting paint and complete with bulky filler, curtesy of the previous owner, where the pop bumper had eaten away the playfield):

HH PF1.JPG

HH PF2.JPG

To this:
HH photo.jpg

DSC_0121a.jpg

It's not quite there yet, have a transformer swap to do... probably why the game got parted out in the first place!

20210318_174906.jpg

I've done a couple of mylar removals on older machines.

I use a hairdryer (heat gun if daughter kicks off about using hairdryer :)) and sticky label remover fluid such as HG.
Tilt the pf down slightly and start at the top so that the fluid follows your work.

You are probably always going to remove some insert paint though, regardless of how you do it.

Andy

Back
Top Bottom