What's new

No Longer Available STTNG - £4,500

I understand it was well intentioned and gave the sales thread a bump.
But the price is immaterial.

I can’t speak for Marcel but if it was my thread and I’d gone on holiday to return to someone ( however we’ll intentioned) lowering and pushing the sale of my pin without my knowledge, would of ticked me off.

No one but Marcel would have known his circumstances and whether he may have had a change of mind or had a limit to which he wanted to drop to.

Regardless of his first post, things change and only the seller should steer a sales thread.

Whether that’s price discussions or invited help.

Only my opinion, and not necessarily Marcels .
🙄

Personally I saw it a bit of humorous mischief. Nothing wrong with a good that imo, and that is exactly what it was imo. However I am not being held to account whilst on holiday and the merry jape having skipped several steps in the price drops. That seems a little unreasonable to my mind, if I wanted £500 price drops, I would hope to be the person in control of them. Anyhow isn't it a rule not to try and sell other peoples pinballs... ;)

silver paolo seems to have a lot to say about ever pin advertised on this site.has he bought one. how did the the getaway sale go.he said he would update when he collected it ?

silver paolo seems to have a lot to say about ever pin advertised on this site.has he bought one. how did the the getaway sale go.he said he would update when he collected it ?
@vr46 i seem to have a lot to say about every pin advertised? Really ? @vr46 dont have a pop at me just because one or two keyboard warriors on here take things a bit too serious … don’t lower yourself to that level, your better than that …

Now not that it’s any of your particular business about the getaway pin I’ve arranged to collect it on the 10th of June and of course will post pictures once collected …

😎

@vr46 i seem to have a lot to say about every pin advertised? Really ? @vr46 dont have a pop at me just because one or two keyboard warriors on here take things a bit too serious … don’t lower yourself to that level, your better than that …

Now not that it’s any of your particular business about the getaway pin I’ve arranged to collect it on the 10th of June and of course will post pictures once collected …

😎
sttng,pickholders v pin,jp2,aiq prem,p o c, there are a lot more ! there is no need to make a comment every time member puts their pinball up for sale.if you are bored try face book and stop derailing threads.

sttng,pickholders v pin,jp2,aiq prem,p o c, there are a lot more ! there is no need to make a comment every time member puts their pinball up for sale.if you are bored try face book and stop derailing threads.
It’s a forum people are entitled to comment on threads it’s not derailing them at all … and by the way if I want to comment on each post I will do , generally I contribute positively to this forum and can comment where I like so I suggest you get off your soap box and stop having a pop …

I’ve plenty of pins so naturally i have an opinion on some titles

Now off ya pop and go have a do at someone else

It’s a forum people are entitled to comment on threads it’s not derailing them at all … and by the way if I want to comment on each post I will do , generally I contribute positively to this forum and can comment where I like so I suggest you get off your soap box and stop having a pop …

I’ve plenty of pins so naturally i have an opinion on some titles

Now off ya pop and go have a do at someone else
ok sorry,i hope your getaway enhances your collection.

Pulled the sale, it has not sold and I cannot bear to sell it any cheaper than £4,500. IMO, it is just too much game for the money. Feel free to disagree, but despite a desperate need for a new roof, I will not give me pin away. I know I would have regretted it if I had sold at £4,500 or even just above and so, I have a change of heart, this one's having another year in sunny Huddersfield.

It’s a great pin and as you say ,you get a lot of pin for your money.
I never understand the lack of love for it sometimes.

Your welcome to send Martin, but I am short of good packing materials, however I will dismantle it ready for any courier or work with the buyer to load up.
Now it's not for sale, I'll comment, feel free to ignore.

I think a change of tone here may have helped you. When spending top dollar, as a buyer you need to have a warm fuzzy feeling knowing your pin is arriving wrapped up well.

For less than £20 on Amazon some shrink wrap and 10m tensioning straps will have enough cardboard packing to package it all up.

Knowing the seller is worried about packing is a check for many of us when negotiating a purchase.

I was selling a nice STTNG last Aug/Sep. It was at Pinfest.
Had it for sale on the forum at £4500 with no takers at that. It did sell for £4300 a few weeks later.

Pulled the sale, it has not sold and I cannot bear to sell it any cheaper than £4,500. IMO, it is just too much game for the money. Feel free to disagree, but despite a desperate need for a new roof, I will not give me pin away. I know I would have regretted it if I had sold at £4,500 or even just above and so, I have a change of heart, this one's having another year in sunny Huddersfield.

Let’s hope it doesn’t rain too much 😁

Right now I’d say it’s a gamble to hold out for more - absolutely no idea where prices / demand for older titles will be in a year. Personally I think the buyer pool will contract further yet with consequent impact on prices. The influx of new owners prob peaked now.

I sold one in the peak prices 2021/22 that I stripped right down, new canon looms, led’s, Afterglow board, new colour XL display, new side trim, new legs, custom backglass etc A really nice one that I sold for £4.5k, a fair price. Have seen so many on eBay that are way overpriced.

Also as this has now been pulled I'll comment, that imo this was way overpriced - and the market agreed. I agree with Grizz - all the signs are that we are in a market correction, potentially back to pre-covid prices, so heading towards knocking 1-2k off this asking price.

I think the offer that the OP had earlier at 4.1k was way over the odds and should have been snapped up tbh.

Seeing as I’m chatting pricing this morning I’ll just quote words of wisdom from inventor of the Camberwell carrot and all knowing Danny in Withnail & I 😁

‘Politics pinball prices man. If you're hanging on to a rising balloon, you're presented with a difficult decision. Let go before it's too late or hang on and keep getting higher, posing the question: how long can you keep a grip on the rope?’

IMO, it is just too much game for the money.
@Marcel, sadly, that's not how pinball pricing works. I wish it was, because then my Fish Tales would be worth the same as a JJP Guns and Roses, but - for some reason - people think there are multiple pins worth more than my GOAT. Likewise, I remain shocked at the (relatively) low prices that The Shadow goes for, especially the ones with the alternative cartoon back-glass because - no sh*t - when I first played the fully restored one that was at Pinball Republic for a while, I actually thought it was a mid 2010s DMD Stern and not a Bally/Williams.

There isn't a correlation between how much a pin goes for and how fun it is, how well it plays, and how good the rules are. This is frustrating, but people seem to have set prices historically based on collectible or theme criteria, and they now go for the prices they go for, a bit like Pokemon/baseball cards.

There’s a strong correlation between what a pin goes for and how ‘fun’ it is, how well it plays and how good the rules are. There always has been.

Just because new blood has come in and paid over the odds for less desirable pins doesn’t mean prices have merged on them.

Edit: Individual people like particular tables for all sorts of reasons, and that’s great, but the best regarded tables will always command a higher price.

There’s a strong correlation between what a pin goes for and how ‘fun’ it is, how well it plays and how good the rules are. There always has been.

Just because new blood has come in and paid over the odds for less desirable pins doesn’t mean prices have merged on them.

Edit: Individual people like particular tables for all sorts of reasons, and that’s great, but the best regarded tables will always command a higher price.
Well, yes, but fun means different things to different people. Well regarded also tends to be a consensus position, i.e. lots of people tend to kind-of like something and some like it a lot. One of the things I learned from playing thousands of board games is that inoffensive, milquetoast and relatively pleasing to most people can end up extremely well regarded. There was a period where what I found to be the most boring game imaginable, an almost solo card game about birds, ended up being top ranked on the biggest hobbyist website because the components were nice, the theme was inoffensive, it was easy to learn, and the gameplay didn't upset anyone. As a result, lots of people enjoyed it well enough, some people were passionate about it, and no one really disliked it.

ST:TNG has the problem of being a great game that has a reputation for being complex to fix. The theme is also not wholly milquetoast because you need to be a sci-fi fan.

I personally love Fish Tales because it's extremely tense and I find the theme so absurd as to be amusing. It has the problem of lacking toys, being extremely unforgiving and being themed around fish. So, not milquetoast either.

Sorry that's a little philosophical, but it's not just 'new people don't understand what's good'. It's also 'new people don't have the same life experiences, so find different things fun'. If you come into pinball from video games and analogue tabletop gaming in 2023 then you've got no nostalgia, and are interested in speed, rules and dexterity above most other things. Twilight Zone, for example, isn't half as entertaining as if you first played it in an arcade in the 90s - so, personally, I don't rate it that high.

Thanks for all the further comments everyone, @Ashbo , I will certainly take on board your packaging advice for any future sales. Well current consensus seems it is a little pricey at £4,500 for my game, that's apparent.
Still I am reluctant to sell it as it is a good working machine in good condition and nothing broken to my knowledge, if I tried replacing it, would I get a much more worn playfield I did wonder, in that case, I would rather not buy something for late £3,000's?

It's also 'new people don't have the same life experiences, so find different things fun'. If you come into pinball from video games and analogue tabletop gaming in 2023 then you've got no nostalgia, and are interested in speed, rules and dexterity above most other things. Twilight Zone, for example, isn't half as entertaining as if you first played it in an arcade in the 90s - so, personally, I don't rate it that high.

I do totally agree @VeeMonroe, new players will have totally different needs, I suppose that's a biggie, I have noticed over recent years that newer games seem to be topping the charts on Pinside too. STTNG is down to 26th, it certainly wasn't so low 5yrs ago.

Oh well, nothing lost on no sale. I suppose I was partially hoodwinked by the what I had seen for sale elsewhere and without realising how far off they were.

Did you play Fish Tales in the wild in the 90s ?
If not - then I’m not following your reasoning here 🤷‍♀️
What I meant was that Twilight Zone was really innovative when released in 1993. Loads of modes, tonnes of toys, and a theme that was only thirty years out of date.

In 2023, I’ve seen another thirty years of pinball mechs and the TV series is ancient history. I’m used to playing computer games, which have very complex coding and reward good reflexes, but my interest in pinball is about the physicality of something that *isn’t* a computer game. So, my first experience of TZ was in a room with 40 other pins of different eras and, comparatively speaking, the theme makes no sense, the mechs are overblown but otherwise a’okay, it plays a bit sluggish, and the code is so-so.

At the same time, there’s a fishing pin that happens to reward speed and dexterity, and is pretty fast-moving too. It’s very physical and easy-to-learn, but hard to master. The theme makes a lot more sense too because fishing is an evergreen hobby. It’s also thirty years old and I’ve no memory of playing it in the 90s either. I first play it on the computer, lots of times, and find it good fun. But it’s somehow two to three times cheaper than the TZ.

The thirty-year-old TZ is also the same price as a HUO two-year-old Stern Godzilla Pro with better code and an LCD screen.

Can you understand why this pricing makes no sense to me, at all?

I don't normally comment on sale prices on for sale ads, as the price is the price, if it never sells its probably too high.

Having owned, fully restored and sold a STTNG it's a machine that whilst great and fully loaded never commands high resale prices. This is partly because it's an absolute pain to get it and keep it working faultlessly. The optos unless replaced cause all-sorts of issues as well as the cannon wireloom. Doing a full mechanical restore set me back over £1k, which most wouldn't spend on one. Personally Only one with pinsound, colour DMD, full rubber replacement, flipper rebuild would command privately on this forum at most £4.5k.

Mine was mint original cabinet, rare playfield purple (so I was told) early run, powder coated gun, all opto replaced, full strip down, all rubbers replaced, full clean bottom and top, all mech replaced and rebuilt, boards checked and I only got £3,500 for it around two years ago, admittedly just before the bubble but still in the middle of covid. I just can't see one without a colour DMD and pinsound going above £4k. Unless I sold too low 😏🤭

In the end it was at the limit of engineering... and the stern plays fantastic .

We once had 10 on our van all off for export. Plus my famous £25 rocky and bulwinkle and 2 rosies. Wish l had a picture but no camera phones then ..

What I meant was that Twilight Zone was really innovative when released in 1993. Loads of modes, tonnes of toys, and a theme that was only thirty years out of date.

In 2023, I’ve seen another thirty years of pinball mechs and the TV series is ancient history. I’m used to playing computer games, which have very complex coding and reward good reflexes, but my interest in pinball is about the physicality of something that *isn’t* a computer game. So, my first experience of TZ was in a room with 40 other pins of different eras and, comparatively speaking, the theme makes no sense, the mechs are overblown but otherwise a’okay, it plays a bit sluggish, and the code is so-so.

At the same time, there’s a fishing pin that happens to reward speed and dexterity, and is pretty fast-moving too. It’s very physical and easy-to-learn, but hard to master. The theme makes a lot more sense too because fishing is an evergreen hobby. It’s also thirty years old and I’ve no memory of playing it in the 90s either. I first play it on the computer, lots of times, and find it good fun. But it’s somehow two to three times cheaper than the TZ.

The thirty-year-old TZ is also the same price as a HUO two-year-old Stern Godzilla Pro with better code and an LCD screen.

Can you understand why this pricing makes no sense to me, at all?
Simple answer to this is that pinball is a nostalgia based hobby which is why there are no 18 year olds regularly posting here. Twilight Zone commands the price it does because the 50 year olds amongst us played it in the pub in the early 90s and owning one of our own seemed an unbelievable pipedream. No one played Godzilla with it's lcd screen in a pub and dreamed of owning their own. Value is not defined by fancy technology, it's not about the latest screens or most recent themes. It's about playing something endlessly in your youth and miraculously getting to the priveledged position of one day being able to own your own.

the theme makes no sense, the mechs are overblown but otherwise a’okay, it plays a bit sluggish, and the code is so-so.

Ok ……., we all have diff opinions so here goes ….

Well the theme is one of the best implemented in pinball - it absolutely nails the Twilight Zone vibe . Maybe you just aren’t familiar with the classic Twilight Zone well enough ? Features many of the classic episodes, and collecting the door panels to unlock the door into the Twilight Zone is perfect.

Not sure what you mean by overblown mechs ? The Gumball is wonderful and ties in with the show, the right ramp diverter that drops the ball on to the playfield to set up a top flipper shot is genius (granted it does need the magnet mod to cut down bounce outs) and pretty unique , the spiral magnets / helpers are so well bedded into the code , and the upper playfield battling the power is unique - just the right balance of well timed magnet pulsing and a little luck . And again nails the theme.

Sluggish ? Maybe the examples you have played aren’t set up well. It has a stop start nature some don’t like but also has fair bit of flow whipping round the left ramp , orbits , slamming it into the piano .

Code is so so ? ? I remember printing out the rules guide to it and it was about 55 pages of A4 😁😂 There are so many clever and subtle things going on I can’t even start. Hitchhikers , the Spirals, battling the power , using the Camera to your advantage , knowing which modes to stack into multiball , The Powerball !
Critics will say it’s just a revamped TAF - door instead of mansion to get to the Wizard mode . But that completely misses out many of the delights and clever touches of Lawlors rules.

I haven’t even touched on the lighting effects , the insane sounds - those Jackpot sequences ! - and the greatest starts to multiball and wizard mode in pinball 😁

Anyway there we go , I’m a TZ junkie. Always have been . Always will . It first blew my mind on Santa Monica pier in 1993 , so much so I wrote postcards home to my pinball buddies raving about this new game , and it continues to do so 😎

Fish Tales is one of my all time fave games but it’s nowhere near the level of TZ in terms of design . It’s superb at what it does , I’ve had 3 over the years . I love it but then tire of what is basically a 5 shot layout and the fairly shallow code just bores me after a time , and I have no trouble letting it go . I’ll have another one day. Tons around so not hard to get one which is a bonus .

There we go . I adore TZ so much I’ve written a response nearly as long as one of your posts 😁

Don’t touch the door, don’t touch the door, don’t touch the door …..,, BOOM 💥

Simple answer to this is that pinball is a nostalgia based hobby which is why there are no 18 year olds regularly posting here.
There aren’t any 18 year olds regularly posting here because of the price of pins - not nostalgia.

@MajesticPinball, you’re in your twenties, aren’t you? And got into pinball through EMs (which are cheap-er…)

Twilight Zone commands the price it does because the 50 year olds amongst us played it in the pub in the early 90s and owning one of our own seemed an unbelievable pipedream. No one played Godzilla with it's lcd screen in a pub and dreamed of owning their own. Value is not defined by fancy technology, it's not about the latest screens or most recent themes. It's about playing something endlessly in your youth and miraculously getting to the priveledged position of one day being able to own your own.

Erm, I first played a full-sized pinball machine in 2021… The pinball machine I played in my youth, I already owned, and has - sadly - been broken by my sons (it was a little plastic thing, after all).

There are people coming into pinball. Mostly, I admit, in the States. People on the forum keep complaining about us, often because we’re blamed for not understanding value and driving up prices. I’ve just explained why. I have no nostalgia because I never played pinball in the 90s. I’m not in my 50s either (although, admittedly, I’m not as young as @David_Vi, @Lecari and @MajesticPinball). Some of us got into pinball through Zen Pinball, Pinball Arcade and so on. I had a slightly more circular route - I actually owned a bunch of dexterity games (like crokinole and Tumblin’ Dice) before I bought my Fish Tales.

If you imagine someone coming into pinball through a computer game, playing Twilight Zone, playing Fish Tales, looking up the prices and realising that there is a nearly 3x difference in the price of these two pins, can you imagine why the prices seem off to me? I must have played Fish Tales on iPad hundreds of times before I bought one with the topper missing. To me, Fish Tales is a mobile phone video game that happens to have a seriously fun physical version.

@Sgt GrizZ, I’ve had our Fish Tales for more than two years now. We’ve had a bunch of pins come in and out, in that time, and I’ve probably played 100+ pins on location. It’s not going anywhere and, in fact, it probably gets played more than our other pins put together. As I say, a dexterity-based mobile phone app that happened to have a seriously-fun physical version. And, no, never watched an episode of Twilight Zone. It‘s about as familiar as Tudor cooking or Roman bathing practices (in fact, probably less so).

Back
Top Bottom